The Keith Moon Thread

Len Cnut

This threads just gonna be me havin' a massive wank over Keith Moon, the greatest drummer rock music ever saw (no, you're wrong, I'm right, he was the best).  I love the bloke and he deserves his own thread.  Thank you, that is all!

Check out the fuckin' drumming lunacy from the baddest drummer on the plane

Greatest drummer of all time easily, obviously Bonham and Baker were brilliant but Moon was in a different league altogether, basically turned the drums into the lead instrument. All the little arm flails and flourishes, just brilliant. Animal off the Muppets was based on him as well. Then the whole crazy wild man/comedy aspect. Oliver Reed was his best mate, says it all really. The bloke was just different fucking class.

incredible drummer!  His beats are like orchestrations. His fills are huge and full of rock n roll spirit while somehow still managing to be very articulate and melodic at the same time.  I love when expansive musical knowledge is set with in reckless abandon - and for me thats what I love about Moons playing!

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, soon said:

incredible drummer!  His beats are like orchestrations. His fills are huge and full of rock n roll spirit while somehow still managing to be very articulate and melodic at the same time.  I love when expansive musical knowledge is set with in reckless abandon - and for me thats what I love about Moons playing!

Correct. No one else has matched what Keith did on the drums. Totally unique style.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, janrichmond said:

My big brothers' hero 'Moon the Loon'. My brother was 15 when i was born (yes i was an accident) so i heard all his music as i was growing up, The Who,Hendrix,Zeppelin loads of great shit:lol:

Great shit indeed, the best. Raised on the special stuff. :lol:

• Like 1

Thing about Moonie and Entwhistle is the range of sound they covered, someone up there said it best that it's like orchestration, which is bang on correct...and The Ox was even moreso but in a more classically musical way.  But the fuckin' range they covered musically, the reason Townshend could be so physically historionic is that he's basically keeping the beat, it's a crazy fuckin' dynamic, The Ox is soloing but he knows what he's doing whereas Moon just fuckin'...I dunno what the fuck Moons doing, I think thats why he had so many drums, so he would never lose his musical thread and be able to retrieve any idea or direction he took his playing in my virtue of the fact that he actually had so many fuckin' drums.  But even if you watch older footage, like The Railway Hotel footage from Harrow, fuckin' hell Moonie son, the drumming is smothering the sound.  

They're playing fuckin' Motown covers but the songs become something different by virtue of what Moonie and The Ox are doing...I don't even think it was deliberate on Moonies part, he's just showing off basically, thats what his style comes from, it's his personality, showing off, being a flash bastard, i love it :lol:  Watch what he's doing on Dance To Keep From Crying, it's delightful...and he's what, 16 there, 17 maybe?  Fuckin' hell boy.  

Edited by Len Cnut

6 hours ago, janrichmond said:

My big brothers' hero 'Moon the Loon'. My brother was 15 when i was born (yes i was an accident) so i heard all his music as i was growing up, The Who,Hendrix,Zeppelin loads of great shit:lol:

I'm with you. Thanks to a cool ass older sibling, I was like 12 and rocking out to The Doors and Janis and CCR and all those you mentioned. My friends were listening to whatever was popular on the radio and MTV at the thime, and I was digging into Exile on Main St.

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I've always liked Moon and gave him massive respect. Always viewed him as one of the best ever. But I think I love the guy after some of this shit :lol:

There is quite literally no man in the history of rock n roll more mental than Keith Moon.  I grew and live in places where he's been and he's one of those people if you are in any of the manors he's been around there are THOUSANDS of stories about him knocking about.  If he was around nowadays he'd be diagnosed with something, like something wrong with him, some kind of autism or disorder or something because the bloke was fuckin' unhealthily mad.

16 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

There is quite literally no man in the history of rock n roll more mental than Keith Moon.

Summed up perfectly. :lol: Nor will there ever be again.

18 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

If he was around nowadays he'd be diagnosed with something, like something wrong with him, some kind of autism or disorder or something because the bloke was fuckin' unhealthily mad.

That's spot on as well mind, definitely something not right mentally for him to be so off his nut!

Just now, bucketfoot said:

Summed up perfectly. :lol: Nor will there ever be again.

That's spot on as well mind, definitely something not right mentally for him to be so off his nut!

I think he just took partying and pisstaking to the nth degree is all, i dont think he was insane, just a very young kid, got into bands very young and like...didnt really have no framework for a normal life and was just extreme with what he did.  And after a while you just get used to behaving like a lunatic...and also you gotta remember the sort of freedom they had in those days, these noveau rich in the 60s could get away with bloody murder, crashing hovercrafts on railway tracks and nearly causing a tragedy, driving a roller through some shop window, there'd be fuckin murders if you did that now, you'd be disgraced and shamed across all the papers...in them days it was just 'carousing' :lol:

Theres an undercurrent of the police and the establishment working to protect the upper classes in this country and the nouveau rich of the 60s, though not upper class, benefitted greatly from that in that they could get away with anything.