The Keith Moon Thread

Len Cnut

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think he just took partying and pisstaking to the nth degree is all, i dont think he was insane, just a very young kid, got into bands very young and like...didnt really have no framework for a normal life and was just extreme with what he did.  And after a while you just get used to behaving like a lunatic...and also you gotta remember the sort of freedom they had in those days, these noveau rich in the 60s could get away with bloody murder, crashing hovercrafts on railway tracks and nearly causing a tragedy, driving a roller through some shop window, there'd be fuckin murders if you did that now, you'd be disgraced and shamed across all the papers...in them days it was just 'carousing' :lol:

Theres an undercurrent of the police and the establishment working to protect the upper classes in this country and the nouveau rich of the 60s, though not upper class, benefitted greatly from that in that they could get away with anything.

I just always figure he didn't give a fuck. I like it!

But to me he played the drums how they need to be played. Not just some background beat, but something more. Beat the hell of them, give em some personality, improvise, that's how it should be done.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think he just took partying and pisstaking to the nth degree is all, i dont think he was insane, just a very young kid, got into bands very young and like...didnt really have no framework for a normal life and was just extreme with what he did.  And after a while you just get used to behaving like a lunatic...and also you gotta remember the sort of freedom they had in those days, these noveau rich in the 60s could get away with bloody murder, crashing hovercrafts on railway tracks and nearly causing a tragedy, driving a roller through some shop window, there'd be fuckin murders if you did that now, you'd be disgraced and shamed across all the papers...in them days it was just 'carousing' :lol:

Theres an undercurrent of the police and the establishment working to protect the upper classes in this country and the nouveau rich of the 60s, though not upper class, benefitted greatly from that in that they could get away with anything.

Yeah, I agree in that he didn't know how to live a 'normal' life and that it became almost a role that he played in the end. The constant wild antics became more legendary than his ability which is ridiculous when you think how brilliant he was as a drummer and in the end he was always going to self destruct at some point. The fact is though, he probably packed about 5 lifetimes worth of living into his 32 years, he fuckin' lived it while he was here and you can't argue with that! How can you not love a bloke who takes a hovercraft or helicopter down to the local pub, trashes countless hotel rooms, drives expensive motors into swimming pools and dresses regularly in full Nazi regalia or as a french maid or nun? Just absolutely fucking mental whichever way you look at it! :lol:

fun fact: Moonie was one of the people Lennon was hanging out with during his 'Lost Weekend', apparently he couldnt stomach his company for too long cuz he was absolutely batshit.

Moon Tale:  He once dressed up as a Nazi and, in full character, went down to Golders Green Tube Station (a Jewish neighbourhood) and started directing passengers like a concentration camp guard, shouting things in pretend German....now why would you do that, how can that possibly end well? :lol:

• Like 1

Another Moon Tale:

He once drove around a remote seaside town in England with a megaphone attached to his car, putting on his best posh accent going 'THIS IS YOUR LOCAL CONSERVATIVE MP, THIS IS AN EMERGENCY MESSAGE, A BOATLOAD OF HIGHLY POISONOUS TROPICAL SNAKES HAS BEEN DUMPED ON THE SHORE, EVACUATE THE STREETS IMMEDIATELY AND DO NOT COME OUT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE'

Apparently he cleared the streets :lol:

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

fun fact: Moonie was one of the people Lennon was hanging out with during his 'Lost Weekend', apparently he couldnt stomach his company for too long cuz he was absolutely batshit.

Moon Tale:  He once dressed up as a Nazi and, in full character, went down to Golders Green Tube Station (a Jewish neighbourhood) and started directing passengers like a concentration camp guard, shouting things in pretend German....now why would you do that, how can that possibly end well? :lol:

:lol:

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Another Moon Tale:

He once drove around a remote seaside town in England with a megaphone attached to his car, putting on his best posh accent going 'THIS IS YOUR LOCAL CONSERVATIVE MP, THIS IS AN EMERGENCY MESSAGE, A BOATLOAD OF HIGHLY POISONOUS TROPICAL SNAKES HAS BEEN DUMPED ON THE SHORE, EVACUATE THE STREETS IMMEDIATELY AND DO NOT COME OUT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE'

Apparently he cleared the streets :lol:

Another Moon Tale:  At the height of punk when bands like The Who (though they were quite respected) were considered dinosaurs he pulled up outside a club with a line of shivering punks stood waiting to get in, anyway he pulls up in a cream coloured Roller, wearing a mink coat whilst drinking brandy from, get on this, a gold chalice, walked right through the enterance, turned back and shouted 'CALL YOURSELF ANARCHISTS?!?  I NEVER WAITED IN A FUCKIN' QUEUE IN MY LIFE! HAHAHA!' :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Another Moon Tale:  At the height of punk when bands like The Who (though they were quite respected) were considered dinosaurs he pulled up outside a club with a line of shivering punks stood waiting to get in, anyway he pulls up in a cream coloured Roller, wearing a mink coat whilst drinking brandy from, get on this, a gold chalice, walked right through the enterance, turned back and shouted 'CALL YOURSELF ANARCHISTS?!?  I NEVER WAITED IN A FUCKIN' QUEUE IN MY LIFE! HAHAHA!' :lol:

:lol: Class! Moonie WAS anarchy!

Another Moon Tale: (i'm gonna stop with the fuckin' Moon Tales after this cuz i know a million), he once crashed a hovercraft onto a railway track and almost caused a fuckin' national tragedy and fucked up a trainload of people.  Eventually a crane or winch or fuck knows what was ordered and it was removed.  Moonie got away unscathed, physically and legally as the officer, quite high up in the local constabulary, went round to Moonies house to get a statement and came back three days later with a massive hangover stating that Mr Moon was not to be prosecuted :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

I loved a story I read in an Aerosmith book about Steven Tyler was out drinking with Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend and they we're chatting away when he said both of them just stopped and got under the table they were at, because Keith Moon had walked in :lol: and the next thing he knew these huge palm trees were knocked over and the bar was properly destroyed :lol:

I wish I could find what he actually said because it is so funny. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders

2 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I loved a story I read in an Aerosmith book about Steven Tyler was out drinking with Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend and they we're chatting away when he said both of them just stopped and got under the table they were at, because Keith Moon had walked in :lol: and the next thing he knew these huge palm trees were knocked over and the bar was properly destroyed :lol:

I wish I could find what he actually said because it is so funny. 

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

@Len Cnut please keep the Moonie stories coming, so funny :lol:

I'm going to have to buy this! 

They're well known around my town cuz they used to play around here and Moon having knocked about in this town when you went into the pub in the 90s there was always people telling all different stories of stuff he'd done.  When they used to be The High Numbers, before they were The Who they used to play down The Trade Union Hall, which is about a 5 minute walk from where I'm sitting now and people just have this overriding memory of the fucking racket Moon was capable of making with his drums, they say it's difficult to really describe unless you were there but it almost drowned out the band, you get a feel of it from that Railway Hotel clip up there, if you listen the thump of the drums is SERIOUSLY loud.

A bloke i know said he almost came to blows with Moonie, so the story goes he was sitting at the bar (this isn't much of a story btw) with his bird and in walks this bloke with a great big long patent red leather coat on 'what kind of a fuckin' man wears a red leather coat, the fuckin' poof?' (his words upon telling me the tale :lol: ) and anyway he goes off to the toilet and comes back and Moonies chatting up his bird, he must've been well in there cuz the bloke got the steaming hump, followed Moonie outside, slammed him against the wall and said something along the lines of 'you touch my bird again you fuckin' cunt and I'll kick your head in'...to which Moon replied only being friendly mate etc etc...so he comes back in the bar, sits down...turns out Moons had their drinks away :lol:  

The bloke who owns the oldest music store in town says The Who used to come in there in the early days, looking for instruments and such...I was really sort of wowed by the thing, them being heroes of mine so i was like what were they like, what were they like?  And he said well they weren't The Who back then, they were just scruffy looking young lads that i didn't really trust very much, Townshend did most of the talking while the other three stood around looking sheepish :lol:  

Another aqquaintance of mine was a Mod back in the day, has the original High Numbers records, I'm The Face and Zoot Suit and that, used to follow The High Numbers all over the South East. 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1