The MyGnR 80-Song Marathon

Blackstar

@Andy14 Božskej Kája!! :awesomeface:

Day 22
The velvet revolution 1989 (not that I remember that one, also cannot believe I am posting this band..hate them with passion :rofl-lol:)

Day 23
I never listened to Slovakian bands much(only very few)..I don't think anyone wonders why if you gave the above song a listen :laugh:
Anyways here is one I think is good

I used to listen to this band quite a bit some 10-14 years ago 

Spoiler

Spoiler

and this is just..well, not sure what to say really :rofl-lol: 

• Like 1

I'm out of likes, but I'm really enjoying this day - it's very interesting :)

Day 23

Since we are at the southeastern end of Europe, Greek music (depending on the genre) has both western and eastern elements with influences from the Mediterranean and the Balkan areas. As far as rock goes, there are bands/artists that sing in Greek and sometimes incorporate elements of local music (or there are rock elements infused in local music) and others that sing in English.

I won't post the two probably most known Greek songs, "Never On Sunday" (the English version) and "Zorba dance" (instrumental), both from 60s movies. I'll pick some other songs, starting with the more familiar sounding (music and language-wise) stuff and going gradually to "it's all Greek to you" stuff :lol:

This band, called "Socrates Drunk The Conium" or just "Socrates" (a very original name for a Greek band I must say :lol:), was the most successful outside Greece (active from the early 70s to early 80s) and one of the best rock bands we've had in regards to musicianship:

Spoiler

A collaboration between one of the biggest Greek composers, Manos Hadjidakis (who wrote the music) and an American rock band with classical influences (late 60s):

Our Jim Morrison, kind of (the guy on the top left) - lyrics in Greek:

Spoiler

The instrumental version of a Greek song (written by another great composer, Mikis Theodorakis) that became the theme for the movie "Serpico":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1DMnQHvN7A

Spoiler

Urban Greek popular music consists of rebetiko, a genre brought by the Greek refugees from the area of Asia Minor (Turkey) in the early 20th century, and laiko (means "song of the people") which is a derivative of rebetiko with folk elements.

This is one of the most popular rebetika: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGXM7IC5nSI

And this an example of Greek "western-eastern fusion" music by an artist of laiko:

I am no poet

I am no poet, I'm a verse
I'm an instant verse
on a prison wall,
and on a bench

I'm on the lips of lunatics and vagabonds
I'm a cursed race
with a soul banished
to other planets

I am no poet
I'm his sigh
I'm a last supper
Next to me Judas is bent weeping
and I'm his brother
Spoiler

A current rock band that plays stoner rock infused with Greek folk (mainly from the area of Epirus):

Spoiler

A last one...

The East influenced stuff is probably the most weird sounding to people from other countries. But this is a case when an old "oriental" (Greek with Egyptian origins) tune became a surf hit in the 60s (mostly the version by Dick Dale, widely known from the Pulp Fiction OST). This is the original "Misirlou" from 1927 (with lyrics in Greek):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW6qGy3RtwY

The cover by Dick Dale & His Del Tones (Pulp Fiction): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChCp6xuaFiA

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, solstar said:

What great idea for a day! It's really cool to listen and learn about music from different regions.

This is very different from GnR's  Perfect Crime. Not what I was expecting!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Day 23

Being from LA, I had a million choices.....But, I choose this because he's one of more interesting artists to come out of here recently. Dude is gonna be a star any day now. 

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! great pic @NicDwolfwood

36 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Lives about 10 minutes away from me.

Mick Taylor from my town too

@janrichmond so cool! rockin'rock3

• Like 2

Day 23 MORE

Chris Stapleton not from my region BUT from my country. amazing siner...

MY man from Texas. The Troubodor, The King of Country, The Best REAL Country singer i know. and if you think his life has been a walk in the park he lost his beloved daughter Jenny in a car crash when she was just 14...*cries *

rest well Jenny...love and hugs you your family :cry:

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose