The MyGnR 80-Song Marathon

Blackstar

12 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Day 30

Went through an Eminem phase when I was about 8 years old. I couldn't really rap(still can't.) so I'd mostly just repetitively say the chorus. Listening to it now its very slow and wouldn't be particularly difficult...so yeah. Pretty autistic. :lol:

I absolutely can't listen to this song anymore. Can't remember the last time I actually did.

Day 30

I had to go way back for this... Much of the pop stuff I was listening to in my childhood and preteens is still pleasant for me to hear. What I can't stand from that era (early 80s) is some of the popular "rock" songs, especially "rock ballads"/power ballads. Scorpions ballads were the most popular here (still are often played on the radio). They were played at every school party and I had them on cassette. When I was 14 I hated them already and I can't stand them ever since, this one in particular:

---

November Rain doesn't fall in this category for me. It came when I was older, I thought it was a definitely far superior song than the ballads I'm talking about, but I never really related to it or liked it much and I always couldn't stand watching the video. For some strange reason though I like listening to the stripped down demo versions of it.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

Day 30

I also couldn't listen to Don't Cry for a few years, but not because I didn't like the song. There's a funny story of me being in a pub with a couple of friends and one of them wanted to play the song on a jukebox, but wasn't really sure how to use it. So it resulted in Don't Cry being played over and over again for around 45 minutes when finally somebody got really pissed off and  turned it off. I will never forget the embarrassment when we heard the first tones of the song for the 5th, 6th, 7th, xth time and realized that "here we go again". :facepalm:

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

November Rain doesn't fall in this category for me. It came when I was older, I thought it was a definitely far superior song than the ballads I'm talking about, but I never really related to it or liked it much and I always couldn't stand watching the video. For some strange reason though I like listening to the stripped down demo versions of it.

I really like the demo versions of NR too, until they get to the again and again bit :lol:

The live Argentina 93 version is good for me too, I would love to hear it played that way again. 

The album version is something I always skip and so wasn't looking forward to hearing it live for the first time but it ended up being a highlight for me, even though it's not a favourite of mine. SCOM is much higher on the list of annoying GnR songs for me. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I really like the demo versions of NR too, until they get to the again and again bit :lol:

The live Argentina 93 version is good for me too, I would love to hear it played that way again. 

The album version is something I always skip and so wasn't looking forward to hearing it live for the first time but it ended up being a highlight for me, even though it's not a favourite of mine. SCOM is much higher on the list of annoying GnR songs for me. 

Yeah, SCOM. I also couldn't hear Paradise City for a long while due to it being overplayed.

I rewatched NR Argentina 93 to remember it. Yes, I like this one. Well paced, simple as much as it should be and Axl and Slash are great.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tori72 said:

I know I'm not making any sense but I listened to it again - well not all of it. :awesomeface: And do you know what bugs me the most in the song apart from the focken stupid video, the no groove and the length? The drumming! It is SO dull and boring, sounds like a drum computer thing (whatsitcalled) and is totally uninspired. He hits his drums whenever it is the wrong moment to do so. Matt's drumming is fucking disturbing me. Sorry. Had to let it out somewhere. I also remember I always felt like that about the drums in NR, they bug me for 25 years now, man. Terrible!

:rofl-lol:

Ahahaaa..yes indeed! I hate Sorum and I cannot help it! :lol: When people go on about how they should bring Sorum back I am like :nervous:

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

For some strange reason though I like listening to the stripped down demo versions of it

me too, have not listened to them for a long time but I always liked them more than the final version.

4 hours ago, Andy14 said:

There's a funny story of me being in a pub with a couple of friends and one of them wanted to play the song on a jukebox, but wasn't really sure how to use it. So it resulted in Don't Cry being played over and over again for around 45 minutes when finally somebody got really pissed off and  turned it off. I will never forget the embarrassment when we heard the first tones of the song for the 5th, 6th, 7th, xth time and realized that "here we go again". :facepalm:

:rofl-lol: awesome! 
And it reminds me of some of my friends who managed something similar in the past..but I have to say they never took it that far :lol:

And yeah I also often skip SCOM unless I am listening to vinyl :ph34r:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Day 30

I had to go way back for this... Much of the pop stuff I was listening to in my childhood and preteens is still pleasant for me to hear. What I can't stand from that era (early 80s) is some of the popular "rock" songs, especially "rock ballads"/power ballads. Scorpions ballads were the most popular here (still are often played on the radio). They were played at every school party and I had them on cassette. When I was 14 I hated them already and I can't stand them ever since, this one in particular:

---

OMG YAS! The fucking Scorpions. They got so overplayed here. Everything they did make my ears bleed today. Especially Still loving you. And yeah, it is of lower quality musically speaking than NR. 

5 hours ago, Andy14 said:

Day 30

I also couldn't listen to Don't Cry for a few years, but not because I didn't like the song. There's a funny story of me being in a pub with a couple of friends and one of them wanted to play the song on a jukebox, but wasn't really sure how to use it. So it resulted in Don't Cry being played over and over again for around 45 minutes when finally somebody got really pissed off and  turned it off. I will never forget the embarrassment when we heard the first tones of the song for the 5th, 6th, 7th, xth time and realized that "here we go again". :facepalm:

LOL I laughed so hard at this. Haha :D I never liked U2 anyway. Bono always sounds like he urgently has to go to the loo. Sorry bout that. But it's true and I really don't wanna listen to that. :smiley-confused2: With or without you got overplayed so badly too that I probably know the lyrics by heart without wanting to.

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Day 31 a song i didn't like but now like a lot ;)

I never disliked it, but it wasn't a favorite when I first got CD, but now it has a special meaning to me and I love it. I like this video too. 

So for my day 31

Edited by BlueJean Baby
Rough day
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

I never disliked it, but it wasn't a favorite when I first got CD, but now it has a special meaning to me and I love it. I like this video too. 

So for my day 31

i never liked it because it came from NuGuns! then after seeing them in Vegas i really began loving it! in the chat rooms all the Better haters would  type like oh no there's that song AFR likes! :P 

3 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i never liked it because it came from NuGuns! then after seeing them in Vegas i really began loving it! in the chat rooms all the Better haters would  type like oh no there's that song AFR likes! :P 

I miss the chat rooms convos. The guys were so funny.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

I love that song because it fits what I have gone through in my life, and still am  going through to some extent. I never thought of it as NuGuns, as long as it was Axl, it was GNR to me.  I know a lot of people don't feel that way, but to each his own. ?

• Like 1

Day 29

Day 30

I liked this song at first. but then they played the shit a billion times by now. Fuck this song :fuckyou:

Day 31

I didnt like this song at all at first. overtime it grew on me though. Its a shame the kid committed suicide at the end of 2012. 

Edited by NicDwolfwood
  • Like 1

Day 31

I don't wanna say I didn't like it, it's always been a good song, I just didn't pay it much attention, didn't listen to it much. But AXL/DC brought it back to my attention. It's one of my top AC/DC jams now.

The big homie ain't too shabby either.

Edited by J Dog
Wrong day!
  • Like 3