Battlefront 2 (EA)

full Trailer for Battlefront 2 is here: 

Im actually really excited for this story mode. The trailer gives me chills thinking about it. I wanna say this is gunna be the first Expanded Universe story we get in video game form since The Force Unleashed right? Actually I think this game ties right into one of the new canon novels or comics, although I could be wrong as im not caught up in the canon. The online component I could really care less about as the first Battlefront fell far below my expectations and theres no way in hell I was paying $50 ($30 now for those that care) for that season pass for 4 extra maps over a 16 month period.  

I just wish we could get one good story based Star Wars game that doesn't get cancelled. This looks fairly promising so far. 

Pre-order the standard edition now to receive exclusive Kylo and Rey themed "The Last Jedi" looks, ability modifiers for both Kylo, Rey, and the Millennium Falcon and more. 

Pre order the "Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition" to immediately have all of your trooper classes upgraded, access to the game on November 14th, 3 days early, 4 ability upgrades for each class, instant weapon unlocks and modifications for each trooper class, and the other items listed in the standard edition. (If you are apart of Best Buys gamers club, pre order this bitch right now as it is $16 off face value!!!!)

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2

Edited by KeyserSoze

50 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Wait, you mean there's a story mode this time? Alright EA, you win. Take my money.

Yup. The first part of the trailer expalins the story mode. It will happen right at the end of RoTJ neck in neck with when the second Death Star explodes. Seems quite interesting to me at least. 

• Like 1

Very skeptical of this. I think the trailer and the concept behind the story are both very interesting, but this feels a bit too early for a sequel. EA churning the dev machine to maximize $ (ME: A....).  Obviously they want to capitalize on the hoopla surrounding TLJ.

Looks like the details we have so far confirm that they are improving on the first one and even innovating to some degree. Notably missing though is space to ground combat/vice versa. I'll probably end up preordering this, but will absolutely use Origins 24 hour return policy if need be. 

Hopefully this game will address by far the biggest issue from the first one for me: I couldn't fucking play it. Trial worked fine, release version would not connect to servers ever - I tried everything: resetting IP, adding exceptions to firewall, dropping firewall completely, hell I even forwarded a bunch of the ports the game uses. Didn't matter. I ended up buying Battlefront (release) twice, both times returned within 24 hours. Hope this is a better experience. But coming off of recent and not so recent EA dealings, I'm not holding my breath.

I haven't watched the trailer yet, but it can't be any worse than the first one. 

From what I've read, it might actually be good. I read they're planning on doing away with season passes for this game. I never did buy the season pass for the first one and only bought the game on sale from Gamefly. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Anyone give this a play?

Took me about a week and a half to finish the single-player story (about 10-12 hours).  The game itself is good (not great), but I appreciated having some of the story post ROTJ filled in.  Plus, it was great to see the final battle in Jakku that ended the Empire and provide a setup for Rey.  

I had a lot more fun playing the flying missions than the FPS stuff.  I really wish they'd make a remake of Tie Fighter or X-Wing from the mid 90s.  Those games were great.  

The graphics in this game were pretty amazing, particularly on Jakku and any of the flying-combat levels.  

I felt the light-saber controls were a bit wonky; was kind of disappointed with that aspect of the game. 

Not sure I'll ever both with the multiplayer.  I don't play much so I'm probably pretty awful at these games.  Not sure I'd want to waste my time and money to play online and just get wrecked every time.    

10 minutes ago, downzy said:

Anyone give this a play?

Took me about a week and a half to finish the single-player story (about 10-12 hours).  The game itself is good (not great), but I appreciated having some of the story post ROTJ filled in.  Plus, it was great to see the final battle in Jakku that ended the Empire and provide a setup for Rey.  

I had a lot more fun playing the flying missions than the FPS stuff.  I really wish they'd make a remake of Tie Fighter or X-Wing from the mid 90s.  Those games were great.  

The graphics in this game were pretty amazing, particularly on Jakku and any of the flying-combat levels.  

I felt the light-saber controls were a bit wonky; was kind of disappointed with that aspect of the game. 

Not sure I'll ever both with the multiplayer.  I don't play much so I'm probably pretty awful at these games.  Not sure I'd want to waste my time and money to play online and just get wrecked every time.    

I played for about a month. Lost interest and haven't touched it in a few weeks.

I did the first 2-3 hours of the story, thought it was fine, and went to multiplayer. Multiplayer is really what these games are about. You should give it a try. 

I agree the graphics are pretty good. It's a much better game than the first one for sure, but I'm still not terribly impressed.

And for those who have played MP: almost everyone I talk to agrees space is a lot more fun than ground. I only liked 3-4 of the ground maps; the smaller ones feel like classic BF/CoD nade fests.

EDIT: And yeah, if you're looking for good Jedi fighting mechanics, you won't find it here. You unfortunately have to go back in time quite a bit (KoToR, Force Unleashed, Jedi Knight series, etc.).

Edited by OmarBradley

12 minutes ago, OmarBradley said:

I played for about a month. Lost interest and haven't touched it in a few weeks.

I did the first 2-3 hours of the story, thought it was fine, and went to multiplayer. Multiplayer is really what these games are about. You should give it a try. 

I agree the graphics are pretty good. It's a much better game than the first one for sure, but I'm still not terribly impressed.

And for those who have played MP: almost everyone I talk to agrees space is a lot more fun than ground. I only liked 3-4 of the ground maps; the smaller ones feel like classic BF/CoD nade fests.

EDIT: And yeah, if you're looking for good Jedi fighting mechanics, you won't find it here. You unfortunately have to go back in time quite a bit (KoToR, Force Unleashed, Jedi Knight series, etc.).

Yeah, the last time I played a game where a Jedi was playable was Jedi Knight for the PC back in 1997.  I remember having a much easier time killing bad guys as a Jedi than with the most recent Battlefront II.  Far more nuanced and capable controls in the old PC games than what they provided this time around.

I might try multiplayer at some point when I feel like buying an Xbox gold membership is worthwhile, but I won't do it for Battlefront II alone.  Nice to know the space missions are the most fun to play in multiplayer as I might actually have a shot in those.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest issue with this game is the name of it. As someone who holds the first two Battlefront games dearly to my heart, I simply cannot fathom that this game and the predecessor straight up robbed the originals of their names! When you do that you signify that the new versions are the definitive, amazing must play versions, which these two are not in my opinion. I wish they just called these games Battlefront 3 and Battlefront 4.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 11:06 AM, luciusfunk said:

The OG Battlefront and Battlefront II are coming to Xbox BC this month. Also included are Jedi Starfighter, Jedi Academy, KOTOR II (KOTOR is already BC), and Republic Commando.

So many memories. So sad where Star Wars is now.