Former AC/DC Drummer PHIL RUDD Would Like To Work With ANGUS YOUNG Again

blackieloveless

Kaaos TV conducted an interview with former AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd on April 14 at Rantasipi hotel in Vaasa, Finland. You can now watch the chat below. A few excerpts follow (transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET).

On performing AC/DC songs with his solo band on the group's current European tour:

Phil: "[Those are] the ones I like, that I feel I contributed a lot to, with just the way I played them. We don't wanna be a covers band, so we just brought in two or three [AC/DC tracks]. Because we're playing the Bonfest [the annual celebration of the life and music of AC/DC legend Bon Scott, who died in 1980 at the age of 33] on the 28th of April in Scotland, so we've got three of Bon's songs that we're playing, and hopefully we'll do them well for the fans in Scotland."

On what he did with his time after he was ousted from AC/DC when he was sentenced to eight months of home detention by a New Zealand court in 2015 after pleading guilty to charges of threatening to kill and drug possession:

Phil: "It was more of a mind/psychological rebuild. So I had a great therapist. And being locked up was actually a good chance to get my shit sorted… I've got a pretty nice house in Tauranga [New Zealand], so it wasn't too bad. And people could come and go and everything. My good friend Rupert Bird [Rudd's court-appointed psychiatrist], who's my therapist as well, he was a great help to me. So I'm in really good shape. I'm very fit. Plus I had a heart attack, and now I've got more blood pumping, and I've got good stamina. And I'm playing pretty well, if I do say so myself."

On whether he would like to be involved with AC/DC again in the future:

Phil: "I'd like to be involved with Angus [Young, AC/DC guitarist] again, maybe on the next album or something. But I still have some traveling restrictions, and I'm not sure if I can go to America or not. I've got some lawyers doing some work so I can go back to America, but I'm not too sure. So I have some limitations on what I can do, and I'm just making the best of my situation at the moment."

On whether he is in contact with his former bandmates in AC/DC:

Phil: "I am. Yes, I am. I talk to Brian [Johnson, AC/DC singer], and we just talk about cars, and I talk to Cliff [Williams, AC/DC bassist], and we just talk [about] anything. It's just old friends talk. But I'm sure Angus has got a few ideas. He did a great job on the 'Rock Or Bust' album. I think it's a great album — one of the best ones we've done, for sure. [It was] very well produced by Brendan O'Brien, who understands guitarists. And he did a really good job. And I was pleased with my work on that as well."

On whether he can see himself working with Axl Rose as AC/DC new singer:

Phil: "I don't know. I just play drums. When I play with AC/DC, I just play drums. [With my solo band], I'm the boss of everything. [But when I play with AC/DC], I don't [care about the other stuff]. I just play drums, and I enjoy that."

The GUNS N' ROSES leader completed nearly two dozen shows with AC/DC last year after Brian Johnson, who joined in 1980 after the death of original vocalist Bon Scott, was told he was at risk of going deaf.

Rudd, who has appeared on all but three of AC/DC's 18 studio albums, has just embarked on his first solo tour in support of his 2014 solo debut, "Head Job". It was the release of that album that led indirectly to Rudd's arrest, with the drummer allegedly so angry at a personal assistant over the way the record was promoted that he threatened to have the man and his daughter killed.

Rudd's replacement in AC/DC is Chris Slade, who also did a three-year stint with the group from 1990 to 1993.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-acdc-drummer-phil-rudd-would-like-to-work-with-angus-young-again/#2M8ThGbEOkP03Y8M.99

Just now, blackieloveless said:

But I still have some traveling restrictions, and I'm not sure if I can go to America or not. I've got some lawyers doing some work so I can go back to America, but I'm not too sure. So I have some limitations on what I can do, and I'm just making the best of my situation at the moment."

I did not know this , Game over .

• Like 1

It's amazing how none of these articles can ever get Slade's tenure right. 1989-1994. A two second Google search would tell them!

But anyways, nothing overly new but nice to hear him in good spirits. It's interesting that he's still keeping in touch with Cliff and  Brian. Maybe they should all do an album together. :lol:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, James Bond said:

It's amazing how none of these articles can ever get Slade's tenure right. 1989-1994. A two second Google search would tell them!

But anyways, nothing overly new but nice to hear him in good spirits. It's interesting that he's still keeping in touch with Cliff and  Brian. Maybe they should all do an album together. :lol:

I agree it's amazing how many people get Slade's original tenure wrong, but I get where the confusion comes in, given that the band was only active in 1990, 1991, and 1993 during his first stint in the band. 

Anyhow, I don't see Angus wanting to work with Phil if he's got travel restrictions, even if there was a desire there to work together again. In Anthrax Charlie Benante has some travel restrictions and it's a fucking nightmare for the band - I can't imagine a stadium-level band trying to work around a member with travel restrictions

In Chris I trust, it's Slade or bust. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Phil or Chris?

If we ever get a new AC∕DC album I`m not sure if any of them will be behind the drums.

Phil is probably done. He admited that he has not even been in touch with Angus after Chris joined.

And Chris will maybe, I just say maybe be too old to do a major tour in the future.

I think the next AC∕DC drummer will be a "Young" drummer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shocker said:

Phil or Chris?

If we ever get a new AC∕DC album I`m not sure if any of them will be behind the drums.

Phil is probably done. He admited that he has not even been in touch with Angus after Chris joined.

And Chris will maybe, I just say maybe be too old to do a major tour in the future.

I think the next AC∕DC drummer will be a "Young" drummer.

that might be cool :)

Chris might not have age on his side but that surely isn't stopping him. He went right from the Rock Or Bust Tour to booking shows with his Timeline band. The dude lives for the touring life. I think that's how he has stayed in such great drumming shape, even at his age.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎28‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 7:19 PM, bucketfoot said:

If they knock an album out over the next year or two, I would imagine it'll be Chris, anything beyond that I could see Phil coming back tbh (hopefully).

I hope so. His work on The Razors Edge is really great.

On 4/28/2017 at 9:52 AM, James Bond said:

Chris might not have age on his side but that surely isn't stopping him. He went right from the Rock Or Bust Tour to booking shows with his Timeline band. The dude lives for the touring life. I think that's how he has stayed in such great drumming shape, even at his age.

Chris is a fantastic drummer! :headbang:

i think clearly phil rudd doesn't want to play in some purported version of ac/dc with axl singing, but clearly doesn't want to stir the shit with angus and say anything.  if axl fronts angus' group and the lawyers enable them to sell it as ac/dc it will be the second time in axl's career he fronts a cover band.   he's better than that.  focus on guns, axl, focus on the rebirth of YOUR band.  

with that said, i hope everyone is having a good day.  

Edited by Sunset Gardner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunset Gardner said:

i think clearly phil rudd doesn't want to play in some purported version of ac/dc with axl singing, but clearly doesn't want to stir the shit with angus and say anything.  if axl fronts angus' group and the lawyers enable them to sell it as ac/dc it will be the second time in axl's career he fronts a cover band.   he's better than that.  focus on guns, axl, focus on the rebirth of YOUR band.  

with that said, i hope everyone is having a good day.  

:lol: You REALLY don't want him to do AC/DC do you?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

:lol: You REALLY don't want him to do AC/DC do you?

ha!  personally, no.  can you tell?

but he will and should do whatever he wants, I would love to see axl hit a home run... just with something gnr related.  a new "ac/dc" record would crowd or delay or cheapen a new gnr record.  we'll go from zero axl to too much axl.  just my opinions...

Edited by Sunset Gardner

48 minutes ago, Sunset Gardner said:

ha!  personally, no.  can you tell?

but he will and should do whatever he wants, I would love to see axl hit a home run... just with something gnr related.  a new "ac/dc" record would crowd or delay or cheapen a new gnr record.  we'll go from zero axl to too much axl.  just my opinions...

After the wilderness years I'll take all the activity I get can from Axl Rose at this point. :lol:

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, James Bond said:

After the wilderness years I'll take all the activity I get can from Axl Rose at this point. :lol:

Exactly. We could be going from not enough Axl to possibly too much Axl, how will we cope? Can't see why anyone would complain if he hit us with a couple of records in a couple of years (I know, I know :lol:)

Just now, bucketfoot said:

Exactly. We could be going from not enough Axl to possibly too much Axl, how will we cope? Can't see why anyone would complain if he hit us with a couple of records in a couple of years (I know, I know :lol:)

look, i'll never disagree there's not enough axl rose in this world, i just feel like it's so sacred at this point to get something from him i'd want the wait to lead to new guns n' roses material.  if there has to be a "ac/dc" record i hope it will at least come AFTER a gnr record.   but i get it, the wilderness years leaving one grateful for anything at all...  

if he hits us with a couple records in a couple years i'll pull slash's top hat out of my asshole.  

• Like 1