Bumblefoot: The Press Hold Axl To A Different Standard - It's Bullsh*t

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

Thal's a good guy. I don't think he really milked the GnR association like DJ Ashba. 

Bumble's whole deal was utter frustration and quitting after realizing the band was going nowhere. All of these guys like Robin Finck, Bucket, Bumble, etc were sold a dream that Axl had this masterpiece in his hands that he would release and they would take over the world and release album after album. None of that happened. You can really feel Bumble's disappointment in all of these interviews.

The only weird thing with Ron Thal is that he really thought of himself as being part of the Guns N Roses band and history -- remember his embarrassing interview around the time of the rock n roll hall of fame nomination? He didn't understand that he's just a replaceable guitarist for hire in the GnR machine. That's why none of the real artists in the band like Freese, Brain, Bucket, Finck, etc ever openly talk about their time with Axl unless they're specifically asked about it in interviews. What could they say really? Yeah we recorded a ton of stuff and barely any of it ever got released? For these guys, even money isn't as valuable as their time.

I really dont care if zumbleboot is a good guy or not

frank seems to be the nicest guy ever and is the most horrible drummer to play gnr songs ever

myles kennedy also seems to be the best bandmate you can get. he also can reach all the notes he wants. that doesnt change the fact that his voice is just unlistenable

being a good guy is not the point

===

I REALLY dont think zumbleboot or any of these guys ever cared for whatever "dream" that axl (or beta or whoever) "sold" to them

I guess they all made a simple question: what do i have to lose and what do i have to gain in joining axl?

and what all these people gained by associating with axl rose?

they gained the ride of their lives

travelling the world, getting paid to play time and time again in studios and live shows, and specially getting an exposure that they would likely NEVER ever get by themselves

so its very likely that all of these zumble dj people basically thought: "well, everyone says axl is an ass, maybe he is, but he wants me in the band, and he talked to me and he was very nice... the money is good, i get to travel the world and the world will get to know me. SO WHY THE FUCK NOT?"

===

i am not even judging these guys cause its likely that any rock musician in the planet would accept the job. and its likely that many of us in this forum would also. it would be hard to find someone able to refuse that kind of offer.

===

about the fact that basically no music was released by axl and the zumbleboot people in the last 20 years...

by all acounts, these "extremely talented and hard working musicians" (:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:) have created, recorded (and presented to axl) an extensive number of ideas and songs

right?

so why none of that was released?

dont you think that its kinda likely that axl didnt released much of those "ideas and songs" because those "ideas and songs" were UTTER GARBAGE?

just check anything that these zumble dj people have done in their musical careers

you will find real fast that these people cant write a good song to save their lives!

===

that hipothesis would also explain why zumbledude is frustrated

is it possible that zumbleboot is because axl ignored his ideas and songs for the entire time he is been in axls band?

===

The fact that zumbleboot considers himself part of "Guns N Roses" is laughable at best -- its downright embarrassing

he was not even "a guitarist for hire in the GnR machine"

he was just a gun for hire in axls solo band

• Like 3

4 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

If you have enough time to make that kind of shit up, then you should consider finding a hobby.

oh it took me five minutes. my hobby is actually to make that kind of shit up about zumbleboot -- everyday i dedicate five minutes to do that

• Like 4

16 hours ago, wasted said:

I think the media, I'm not sure want is the right word, they kind of want Axl to be a celebrity, act like a celebrity, give them access, date famous people give them something to write about. But since that doesn't happen he gets the bad boy or crazy guy of rock n roll, and they get mileage out of that. It's not necessarily personal but that became his role, coming off the controversy of early Guns, Axl emodied the whole GNR thing even if he didn't always do everything. At first it's like any Publicity is good publicity, but then you want to sing about more than just street life or whatever.

I think that is exactly it.

Unfortunately a lot of the press jumps on anything and anyone that is showing signs of being different in any way or having personal difficulties. They just eat that up. There are plenty of celebs that have meltdowns or crises and the press eats it up; when they're functional and just going along with their lives the press won't touch them.

• Like 1

It's just stupid how the journalists keep fishing for some controversy. He's already explained himself many times, why don't the guys just get over it and let it go. The era is gone, the old guys are back, and that's all that matters.
If I was BBF, I would post something like "no more GN'R questions, I've said all there was to say" on my twitter...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stella said:

I think that is exactly it.

Unfortunately a lot of the press jumps on anything and anyone that is showing signs of being different in any way or having personal difficulties. They just eat that up. There are plenty of celebs that have meltdowns or crises and the press eats it up; when they're functional and just going along with their lives the press won't touch them.

Yup....and that is also why Brett B. always comes here for his latest click-bait articles because there is no real Guns news in the press, but here in the forums are always heated discussions, thoughts, rumors etc. that he loves to use for his own personal gain.  :facepalm:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, maynard said:

So, the press is out ta get Axl? Same old story :zzz:

I think Axl gets the treatment he deserves. People joke with all the artists for various reasons. If Axl wanted to be more respected he could try to act more professionally. He's a recluse/entertainer most of the time. Nobody gives much of a fuck about him anymore anyway.

Isn't that funny? In 2017 a small group of Axl fans still think Axl does no wrong, the world revolves around him, and that everybody is still out to get him. 

The other problem is they equate random dudes with blogs as being "journalists."

Also, the majority of press related to Axl for the past year has been extremely positive. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Yup....and that is also why Brett B. always comes here for his latest click-bait articles because there is no real Guns news in the press, but here in the forums are always heated discussions, thoughts, rumors etc. that he loves to use for his own personal gain.  :facepalm:

But Brett B isn't a journalist. He is a compiler of info he finds on the internet. 

Doesn't he just take info he finds off of music forums? A real journalist does actual research, checks with sources, interviews key players - then CREATES a story. You don't just take something off blabbermouth or mygnrforum and spend ten minutes editing it into a story. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Apollo said:

But Brett B isn't a journalist. He is a compiler of info he finds on the internet. 

Doesn't he just take info he finds off of music forums? A real journalist does actual research, checks with sources, interviews key players - then CREATES a story. You don't just take something off blabbermouth or mygnrforum and spend ten minutes editing it into a story. 

True enough...he is no journalist by any means.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Isn't that funny? In 2017 a small group of Axl fans still think Axl does no wrong, the world revolves around him, and that everybody is still out to get him. 

The other problem is they equate random dudes with blogs as being "journalists."

Also, the majority of press related to Axl for the past year has been extremely positive. 

Some fans who are stuck in 1992 still believe Axl is some sort of eternal Justin Bieber and that the press is after his romances or whatever.

No one cares about Axl's private life anymore. The focus of the press has always been in why he makes his audience so pissed off when he "used" to arrive late to the show or walk out of stage just because.
I've not read one review that asks Axl to be all "smiley and happy" like BBF is saying :rolleyes:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, maynard said:

So, the press is out ta get Axl? Same old story :zzz:

I think Axl gets the treatment he deserves. People joke with all the artists for various reasons. If Axl wanted to be more respected he could try to act more professionally. He's a recluse/entertainer most of the time. Nobody gives much of a fuck about him anymore anyway.

Someone give this man a cigar.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ludurigan said:

dont you think that its kinda likely that axl didnt released much of those "ideas and songs" because those "ideas and songs" were UTTER GARBAGE?

is it possible that zumbleboot is because axl ignored his ideas and songs for the entire time he is been in axls band?

This is very possible. I have no doubt Nu-Guns post Bucket probably was really uninspiring to Axl creatively (with all due respect to Bumblefoot). That was a downgraded band from 2002.

The actual Buckethead and Finck sessions however are the heart of Nu-Guns and probably make up the unreleased 2nd and 3rd albums of Axl's "trilogy". 

Here's the thing, before we throw Bucket and Finck under the bus, maybe it's Axl himself who was the most uninspired out of the lot. Perhaps it was his ideas that were mostly crap and he didn't know what to do with Bucket and Finck's work.

7 minutes ago, RONIN said:

This is very possible. I have no doubt Nu-Guns post Bucket probably was really uninspiring to Axl creatively (with all due respect to Bumblefoot). That was a downgraded band from 2002.

The actual Buckethead and Finck sessions however are the heart of Nu-Guns and probably make up the unreleased 2nd and 3rd albums of Axl's "trilogy". 

Here's the thing, before we throw Bucket and Finck under the bus, maybe it's Axl himself who was the most uninspired out of the lot. Perhaps it was his ideas that were mostly crap and he didn't know what to do with Bucket and Finck's work.

This.

Its a very logical thought. I mean why else would this guy waste 25 years holding onto stuff for? I dont buy that whole he's a perfectionist shit either. No perfectionist holds onto music for a quarter century if it was worthwhile. Maybe he's just simply scared to death of releasing shit. Even when he released Chinese, I dont remember him being so confident about it, like in days past. He was more like, Its not perfect, but you'll atleast enjoy a couple tunes from it.

Maybe, he did lose his confidence in his writing ability. I remember him blaming Slash and Duff saying that they broke his confidence in his writing ability because they werent into the stuff he was writing. Slash himself said in interviews back in the day that he wasnt really interested in making Stephanie Seymour ballads with Axl. 

6 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

This.

Its a very logical thought. I mean why else would this guy waste 25 years holding onto stuff for? I dont buy that whole he's a perfectionist shit either. No perfectionist holds onto music for a quarter century if it was worthwhile. Maybe he's just simply scared to death of releasing shit. Even when he released Chinese, I dont remember him being so confident about it, like in days past. He was more like, Its not perfect, but you'll atleast enjoy a couple tunes from it.

Maybe, he did lose his confidence in his writing ability. I remember him blaming Slash and Duff saying that they broke his confidence in his writing ability because they werent into the stuff he was writing. Slash himself said in interviews back in the day that he wasnt really interested in making Stephanie Seymour ballads with Axl. 

Exactly. If you checked out the polls in my "Rate:" threads about Chinese Democracy songs, there's a number of people who don't like Chi Dem songs at all even with Duff and Slash playing them.

I think it's wishful thinking to assume that any new album with Duff and Slash on board is going to be received any better. Axl is the primary songwriter of this band now that Izzy is gone and his work is the backbone of any future songs -- if fans are not digging what Axl is doing, no amount of amazing Slash and Duff input will make this stuff sound better. As Tom would say, you can't polish a turd.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NicDwolfwood said:

This.

I wonder with all of the hassle and the amount of time releasing it as time went by he just lost interest. Sounds like his attitude was " fuck it just release CD - what will be will be" and he just left what interest people would have to the lap of the rock gods. In duffs book when axl and duff were writing together in 96 they didn't like the music that slash brought in which was southern rock. Axl told slash the music isn't guns, which duff backed axl and slash left to work on snakepit record but who knows what sort of music Axl was into at that stage. I think the band were all over the place in terms of what music they were into, I think the focus was the music and not the writing and neither had the same musical direction.

5 hours ago, RONIN said:

robin finck and buckethead appear to be superior music writers when compared to these unlistenable zumble-dj-whatever-people

BUT that doesnt make robin and bucket anything closer to good songwriters

just listen to chinese democracy songs written by them

there is eventually a good idea here and there but the songs are really badly structured, arranged and etc.

in that songwriting sense, that entire album is a bit like an slash album where you find good ideas (in slash's case, a lot of these ideas are actually great) lost in badly written songs that dont go anywhere

so yeah, for all i know robin and bucket are on the very same "boat" of all these axl associates who apparently cant write a good song to save their lives

they are just less worse than the others when it comes to songwriting

===

and yes, it is possible that axl's ideas were really bad too.

one fact that helps anyone to get to that conclusion is his choice of using a clean (mickey-whatever) voice.

its fucking unbelievable that axl -- the best singer ever -- wasnt capable of *noticing* that that clean voice was irritating, horrible really.

the fact that axl not only didnt NOTICE that...

but actually recorded a full album and spent YEARS singing live with THAT voice...

is sorta of all the evidence you need that he has lost whatever notion /sense that he used to have about what sounds good!

===

the thing that is one of "the roots" of all this nonsense is that, to this day, axl didnt notice that it is all about the songs.

axl thought he could write, arrange and record good songs with people who have "advanced skills" like all these bumble bucket people

yeah all these people really can play a zillion notes per second and this and that and the other

they posesses a lot of advanced skills!

the problem is that these people (including the aliens that are playing with axl now) apparently (in some cases, definetely) lack two of the most basic skills of them all, which are the capacity of writing good songs AND the capacity of playing these said songs in a dynamic, grooving, rocking way

53 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

robin finck and buckethead appear to be superior music writers when compared to these unlistenable zumble-dj-whatever-people

BUT that doesnt make robin and bucket anything closer to good songwriters

just listen to chinese democracy songs written by them

there is eventually a good idea here and there but the songs are really badly structured, arranged and etc.

in that songwriting sense, that entire album is a bit like an slash album where you find good ideas (in slash's case, a lot of these ideas are actually great) lost in badly written songs that dont go anywhere

so yeah, for all i know robin and bucket are on the very same "boat" of all these axl associates who apparently cant write a good song to save their lives

they are just less worse than the others when it comes to songwriting

Chinese Democracy is an Axl solo album where he hired players to execute his vision. He just asked them to jam randomly in the studio and then literally cut and pasted their work into his songs. Catcher in the Rye with Brian May was created that way. I don't think many complete songs from Bucket and Finck were submitted to Axl (to my knowledge anyway) aside from a few like Better, Shackler's, etc. CD is primarily an Axl and Paul Tobias collaboration from a songwriting perspective. If you think the songs are structured/arranged poorly, that's on the Rose/Tobias team. 

Agreed about Slash -- he needs an Axl to sift through his work and pull out the gems. That's why his solo work is so hit/miss.

I can't speak for Finck (he seems like a pretty talented songwriter but bad live guitarist), but Buckethead is a musician's musician. If Axl actually collaborated with Buckethead properly as an equal partner, they could probably have put together an amazing album. They didn't even need Fortus or Finck with Bucket in the band. Listen to his solo work on youtube - you'll be surprised at what a talented guitarist Axl pissed away. 

and yes, it is possible that axl's ideas were really bad too.

one fact that helps anyone to get to that conclusion is his choice of using a clean (mickey-whatever) voice.

its fucking unbelievable that axl -- the best singer ever -- wasnt capable of *noticing* that that clean voice was irritating, horrible really.

the fact that axl not only didnt NOTICE that...

but actually recorded a full album and spent YEARS singing live with THAT voice...

is sorta of all the evidence you need that he has lost whatever notion /sense that he used to have about what sounds good!

Or he made up the "clean voice" story to save face because he couldn't sing in the pitch he originally wanted to. I suppose it could have been a genuine blunder on Axl's part but this is a guy that checks over his work a million times - he would never release anything that he wasn't satisfied with on some level. His taste definitely has started to suck as he has gotten older though given the way some of the chinese democracy demos turned out in the final album versions. 

His ideas probably weren't as epic as everyone thought. That's because Axl is 1/5 of an amazing band. He is a very important part of it, perhaps the most important part, but he isn't Guns n' Roses. He needs help from the others to bring the best out of his ideas. That's something that he probably learned after failing for 20 years straight and seeing Chinese Democracy ripped apart by fans and critics. It humbled him enough to realize he isn't Maynard James Keenan or Trent Reznor.

the thing that is one of "the roots" of all this nonsense is that, to this day, axl didnt notice that it is all about the songs.

axl thought he could write, arrange and record good songs with people who have "advanced skills" like all these bumble bucket people

yeah all these people really can play a zillion notes per second and this and that and the other

they posesses a lot of advanced skills!

the problem is that these people (including the aliens that are playing with axl now) apparently (in some cases, definetely) lack two of the most basic skills of them all, which are the capacity of writing good songs AND the capacity of playing these said songs in a dynamic, grooving, rocking way

Well supergroups generally suck. Just getting an all-star team together doesn't guarantee success. I think Axl thought if he just got the best or coolest musicians around at the time, suddenly he would create amazing music. He sort of had the right elements in 2002 to do that but if you ask me, Axl was the weakest link of the 2002 band. Shit voice, stupid Slim Shady look, - take your pick. He sucked and he couldn't get the best out of his dream team. Bucket and Brain are a lethal combination. Finck is a pretty good songwriter. Tommy is about as close as you can get to Duff without having Duff. That band had a weird chemistry but it somehow sort of worked (imho).

Now the post-Buckethead band? Yeah - they just were a huge downgrade.

Like you said - it's about good chemistry. Steven Adler isn't the best drummer around, but man does he sound good when paired with Duff and Slash. Fortus can play the fuck out of the material but he's never going to bring out the best in Slash like Izzy. 

I don't want to discount Nu-Guns completely -- there were some cool things in that band, but if you ask me, it's all from the Buckethead era and even that band should never have been called Guns N' Roses. They would have ruled as an Axl solo band though. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 2

On 19.4.2017 at 4:04 PM, ludurigan said:

frank seems to be the nicest guy ever and is the most horrible drummer to play gnr songs ever

myles kennedy also seems to be the best bandmate you can get. he also can reach all the notes he wants. that doesnt change the fact that his voice is just unlistenable

===

I REALLY dont think zumbleboot or any of these guys ever cared for whatever "dream" that axl (or beta or whoever) "sold" to them

I guess they all made a simple question: what do i have to lose and what do i have to gain in joining axl?

travelling the world, getting paid to play time and time again in studios and live shows, and specially getting an exposure that they would likely NEVER ever get by themselves

so its very likely that all of these zumble dj people basically thought: "well, everyone says axl is an ass, maybe he is, but he wants me in the band, and he talked to me and he was very nice... the money is good, i get to travel the world and the world will get to know me. SO WHY THE FUCK NOT?"

===

i am not even judging these guys cause its likely that any rock musician in the planet would accept the job. and its likely that many of us in this forum would also. it would be hard to find someone able to refuse that kind of offer.

===

about the fact that basically no music was released by axl and the zumbleboot people in the last 20 years...

by all acounts, these "extremely talented and hard working musicians" (:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:) have created, recorded (and presented to axl) an extensive number of ideas and songs

right?

just check anything that these zumble dj people have done in their musical careers

you will find real fast that these people cant write a good song to save their lives!

===

===

The fact that zumbleboot considers himself part of "Guns N Roses" is laughable at best -- its downright embarrassing

Yeah. It's that job that enabled them to continue whatever none career they had on the side. It was a dream gig for them. A couple of months per year touring and not having to worry that the other things they were doing the remainder of the year didn't really make them much money.

7 hours ago, RONIN said:

That's something that he probably learned after failing for 20 years straight and seeing Chinese Democracy ripped apart by fans and critics. It humbled him enough to realize he isn't Maynard James Keenan or Trent Reznor.

Did he learn? :P

I have yet to see that.

Now I will never understand why he thought he could be Maynard James Keenan or Trent Reznor.
Why did he want to be them? He knew that wasn't possible. :shrugs:

Aside from all the things you pointed out, I think the other problem with Axl is that he lives in another planet, feels like he doesnt get what's going on and his limited world has limited him as a songwriter as well.

22 hours ago, RONIN said:

Chinese Democracy is an Axl solo album where he hired players to execute his vision. He just asked them to jam randomly in the studio and then literally cut and pasted their work into his songs. Catcher in the Rye with Brian May was created that way. I don't think many complete songs from Bucket and Finck were submitted to Axl (to my knowledge anyway) aside from a few like Better, Shackler's, etc. CD is primarily an Axl and Paul Tobias collaboration from a songwriting perspective. If you think the songs are structured/arranged poorly, that's on the Rose/Tobias team. 

Agreed about Slash -- he needs an Axl to sift through his work and pull out the gems. That's why his solo work is so hit/miss.

I can't speak for Finck (he seems like a pretty talented songwriter but bad live guitarist), but Buckethead is a musician's musician. If Axl actually collaborated with Buckethead properly as an equal partner, they could probably have put together an amazing album. They didn't even need Fortus or Finck with Bucket in the band. Listen to his solo work on youtube - you'll be surprised at what a talented guitarist Axl pissed away. 

Or he made up the "clean voice" story to save face because he couldn't sing in the pitch he originally wanted to. I suppose it could have been a genuine blunder on Axl's part but this is a guy that checks over his work a million times - he would never release anything that he wasn't satisfied with on some level. His taste definitely has started to suck as he has gotten older though given the way some of the chinese democracy demos turned out in the final album versions. 

His ideas probably weren't as epic as everyone thought. That's because Axl is 1/5 of an amazing band. He is a very important part of it, perhaps the most important part, but he isn't Guns n' Roses. He needs help from the others to bring the best out of his ideas. That's something that he probably learned after failing for 20 years straight and seeing Chinese Democracy ripped apart by fans and critics. It humbled him enough to realize he isn't Maynard James Keenan or Trent Reznor.

Well supergroups generally suck. Just getting an all-star team together doesn't guarantee success. I think Axl thought if he just got the best or coolest musicians around at the time, suddenly he would create amazing music. He sort of had the right elements in 2002 to do that but if you ask me, Axl was the weakest link of the 2002 band. Shit voice, stupid Slim Shady look, - take your pick. He sucked and he couldn't get the best out of his dream team. Bucket and Brain are a lethal combination. Finck is a pretty good songwriter. Tommy is about as close as you can get to Duff without having Duff. That band had a weird chemistry but it somehow sort of worked (imho).

Now the post-Buckethead band? Yeah - they just were a huge downgrade.

Like you said - it's about good chemistry. Steven Adler isn't the best drummer around, but man does he sound good when paired with Duff and Slash. Fortus can play the fuck out of the material but he's never going to bring out the best in Slash like Izzy. 

I don't want to discount Nu-Guns completely -- there were some cool things in that band, but if you ask me, it's all from the Buckethead era and even that band should never have been called Guns N' Roses. They would have ruled as an Axl solo band though. 

i am not sure who wrote what on axls solo album and i really dont care cause that solo album is awful

this buckethead song -- that i am listening for the first time now thanks to you -- is like 18 times better than that entire album

it flows

that album does not flow

apparently buckethead release 18 albums per year. i am pretty sure he submmited 19 million songs to axl

i have no idea how is that axl was not able to pick at least ONE good song out of the lot

===

i think slash and axl actually need izzy (or someone who posesses similar musical ability) to turn their great ideas into actual songs that have dynamics, flow, groove, etc

izzy is a master on that

===

axl apparently didnt learn the most important thing and the most important thing is that GNR is not axl rose.

also gnr is not axl and slash

where is izzy?

===

oh man and please dont call whatever incarnation of axls band a "supergroup" or a "dream team". it would MAYBE be a supergroup if zakk wylde or someone of his caliber (or at least someone of his fame) was involved. zakk was a superstar -- and deservedly so. these people axl chose to play with were not even close to that. i am not sure if you were around in 2001 but back then no one -- except nine inch nails and replacements diehards -- had any idea who these people were. i remember a current joke that these guys were axl neighboors and that one of them was his gardener. yeah. maybe not funny but these people were everything BUT superstars. that band was everything BUT a supergroup or a dream team. that shit was a nightmare team

===

i understand you like brain and bucket but i dont. to me this brain drummer dude is like yngwie malmsteen. he posesses a lot of "abilities" but he lacks the basic ones which are groove and flow. he sounded horrible on every GNR song he played on. he sounded horrible on every axl solo song he played on. the only "lethal" thing about that guys is that he basically killed all the fun of those GNR songs -- just like richard the guitar player and frank the drummer are doing now. but thats just my taste and its irrelevant. if you like them i have nothing to do with it!

===

i strongly disagree that richard the guitar player can "play the fuck out" of gnr songs

just like all the players axl chose to play it, richard the guitar player can play all GNR songs NOTE PER NOTE

there are zillions of guitar players that can do that

and that doesnt mean he "play the fuck out" of them

for all the technical abiities that this richard person possesses, his rhythm/grooving abilities and his strumming patterns are embarassing and he makes all the songs sound awful and souless

its horrible reallly

===

yes, it would be much more fun had axl called this nonsense "axl solo" instead of GNR!

On 4/19/2017 at 9:04 AM, ludurigan said:

===

===

===

right?

===

===

Why do you continually call bumblefoot by the wrong name? You know what his name is, so why purposely call him different names?

TIME magazine named Official Yngwie Malmsteen one of the 10 greatest electric guitar players of all time and you... https://t.co/cJAIgYSgWq

So, basically what you're saying is that, you can have the best drummer of all time or guitarrist in rock history playing for the band, and still it wouldn't be enough, still wouldn't be GN'R right?