British Politics

Gracii Guns

This thread was originally for the 2017 General Election. It's still a popular thread so I've renamed it for British Politics in general. 

A few guidance notes:

We have a rule against personal insults. 

Thoughtful debate and discussion is allowed. Arguments which become about point-scoring will be scrutinised carefully. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

@alfierose The Lib Dems do seem to be growing rapidly. There's something going on there. 

Their was reports a few weeks ago that polling suggested Tories could lose almost 30 seats to Lib Dems at the next election that the Lib Dems used to hold.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-polling-votes-mps-elections-lose-to-liberal-democrat-labour-jeremy-corbyn-theresa-may-lynton-a7669211.html

I guess we'll see how that goes. 

Edited by AtariLegend

3 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

@alfierose The Lib Dems do seem to be growing rapidly. There's something going on there. 

I suppose because they are the only party that will appeal to a hardcore Remain contingent. Corbyn was never really Remain despite his weak claims for it.

My local MP is a Tory, he gets elected because he's a decent local bloke who does a lot for the area, he votes against his party quite a lot so will never make it past the back bench! I don't really have a problem voting for him but of course in a GE that has wider repercussions.

To be honest I don't want to see a change in leadership right now, whatever anyone thinks of May or the Tories that seems like a disastrous move for the exit negotiations, I really don't think Corbyn is up to the job. Neither do I want a massive Tory majority for the next however many years and Lib Dems I'm sure will gain seats but I think they will be Labour seats more than Conservative.

Truthfully we are kind of fucked. :facepalm:

24 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Their was reports a few weeks ago that polling suggested Tories could lose almost 30 seats to Lib Dems at the next election that the Lib Dems used to hold.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-polling-votes-mps-elections-lose-to-liberal-democrat-labour-jeremy-corbyn-theresa-may-lynton-a7669211.html

I guess we'll see how that goes. 

Interesting, I was just surmising they would take more Labour seats.

Having said that I place no faith in polling anymore. :lol:

• Like 1

This country has been going downhill since we repealed the Corn Laws. Bring back fox hunting and smoking in pubs. Bring back the Yorkshire Ridings, Middlesex and Westmoreland. Return to us our blue passports and not those French maroon buggers. Abolish Twenty20. Bring back shillings and thre' penney bits, and stand to attention during the national anthem.

• Like 1