British Politics

Gracii Guns

It's a better outcome, because it almost certainly means disaster and another election (possibly another referendum) within months or two years. I also don't want a state controlled Internet, fox hunting and us rid of human rights amongst other things which is going to be difficult for them to do in the current situation.

The DUP have always been around Westminster, but they've until now essentially been almost irrelevant.

Not even sure what the Assembly here does, other than argue about if enough people can see the Union Jack hanging over City Hall in Belfast and Orange parades at every session. 

Apparently they block gay marriage, but I'd assume if someone was gay and wanted to get married they could just take the ferry to Liverpool or Scotland within 30 minutes. It'd be faster than waiting on a bus or a train most days.

Westminster actually effects how the country is governed.

Worrying for Northern Ireland is your country has become polarised between the two extremities again, rejecting the more moderate SDLP and UUP in favour of Sinn Fein and the DUP. In 1997, the DUP and Sinn Fein collectively polled 29.7. 2017 the two polled 65.4!

Edited by DieselDaisy

12 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Read that the DUP want Farage made a Lord and given a government role or else Farage and Arron Banks will attempt put together some mischief for the Tories. The whole thing just keeps getting bonkers.

...And why is Farage still on TV? UKIP polled 2%, they've never even won a seat before (not counting Carswell winning a seat he already held for years as a Tory before jumping ship, then quiting UKIP afterwards). Farage has lost more times in elections, than PM's we've had in the past 25 years.

I feel bad for the Greens, more votes than Sinn Fein/DUP put together (for their 17 seats) and only got 1. They've actually won a seat and polled the same as UKIP, yet the media doesn't care about them.

If the Greens want to be guests in the Andrew Marr show or some other show. Their communications team should call the Marr producers and scheduel an interview. If Greens are told to get lost. They should call other media outlets and make a case for censorship. It is their job to make themselves visible. Farage probably will be UKIP leader again. And after all Brexit was his idea. He is the only one who has a chance to make his party relevant. Lets not forget that another election is still a possiblity in the near future.

Love Farage - cannot stand the rest of UKIP but think Farage is great. Loves a pint; completely un-politically correct; he is like me if I was a politician.

6 hours ago, Padme said:

If the Greens want to be guests in the Andrew Marr show or some other show. Their communications team should call the Marr producers and scheduel an interview. If Greens are told to get lost. They should call other media outlets and make a case for censorship. It is their job to make themselves visible. Farage probably will be UKIP leader again. And after all Brexit was his idea. He is the only one who has a chance to make his party relevant. Lets not forget that another election is still a possiblity in the near future.

Andrew Marr show is on television which relies on on electricity which is evil.

3 hours ago, Padme said:

I'm not a fan of petitions. But that 's just me. If you, your relatives or friends like to participate here it is

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/brexit-negotiations-should-be-conducted-by-a-multi-party-committee

Never going to happen.

This was as likely as the second stage of the Leveson Inquiry ever happening or us suddenly stopping selling arms to the Saudias. 

This is the most political tragedy I remember in such a short time.

There's multiple blogs/reports about those building from last year and just a few months ago. That specifically mention that building.

Then there's the stories about the reports May's new chief of staff sat on, then Brandon Lewis (who served time as a minister for Fire Services along with Housing) as well;

"We believe that it is the responsibility of the fire industry, rather than the Government, to market fire sprinkler systems effectively and to encourage their wider installation."

"The cost of fitting a fire sprinkler system may affect house building—something we want to encourage—so we must wait to see what impact that regulation has."

There's more on other former ministers as well.

Last year fyi the Tories voted against forcing landlords to make homes fit for "human habitation" that included health and safety regulations related to fires. These MPs that voted against it are all landlords;

• Nigel Adams

• Stuart Andrew

• Victoria Atkins

• Jake Berry

• James Berry

• Bob Blackman

• Robert Buckland

• Alun Cairns

• David Cameron

• Alex Chalk

• James Cleverley

• Geoffrey Clifton-Brown

• Geoffrey Cox

• Mims Davies

• Philip Davies

• Richard Drax

• James Duddridge

• Alan Duncan

• Philip Dunne

• Jane Ellison

• George Eustice

• Mike Freer

• Richard Fuller

• John Glen

• Robert Goodwill

• Chris Grayling

• Dominic Grieve

• Chris Heaton-Harris

• Peter Heaton-Jones

• George Hollingberry

• Kevin Hollinrake

• Philip Hollobone

• Nick Hurd

• Stewart Jackson

• Margot James

• Sajid Javid

• Joseph Johnson

• Simon Kirby 

• Greg Knight

• Brandon Lewis

• Julian Lewis

• Craig Mackinlay

• Tania Mathias

• Karl McCartney

• Anne Marie Morris

• Sheryll Murray

• Robert Neill

• Sarah Newton 

• Jesse Norman

• David Nuttall

• Neil Parish

• Owen Paterson

• Rebecca Pow

• Jeremy Quin

• Jacob Rees-Mogg

• Laurence Robertson

• Julian Smith

• Royston Smith

• Mark Spencer

• John Stevenson

• Desmond Swayne

• Derek Thomas

• Anne-Marie Trevelyan

• Andrew Turner

• Shailesh Vara

• Theresa Villiers

• Ben Wallace

• David Warburton

• Craig Whittaker

• John Whittingdale

• Nadhim Zahawi

Those tower blocks should be all demolished and their tenets given decent housing. They were tremendously ugly and criminally unsafe when they were original built back in the 1950s and 60s and they are still ugly and unsafe today. Heck, this is Cathy Come Home territory and people are still living there!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Padme said:

Tim Farron out! He quit because of his faith. Well that's what he says

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-40281300

It was said on election night that some people in his party were indifferent on him losing his seat, because removing him as leader afterwards would be like "drowning a puppy".

I felt bad for the nonsense he had to put up with, even though I'd never vote Lib Dem after 2010.

One last thing on the election, IDS almost lost his seat... there was a 15+% swing to Labor in his safe Tory seat, but it wasn't enough. Such a shame, almost.... almost. 

4 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

It was said on election night that some people in his party were indifferent on him losing his seat, because removing him as leader afterwards would be like "drowning a puppy".

I felt bad for the nonsense he had to put up with, even though I'd never vote Lib Dem after 2010.

One last thing on the election, IDS almost lost his seat... there was a 15+% swing to Labor in his safe Tory seat, but it wasn't enough. Such a shame, almost.... almost. 

He's only got himself to blame. Man needed to grow a spine and be honest about his views rather than constantly avoiding the issue. 

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

He's only got himself to blame. Man needed to grow a spine and be honest about his views rather than constantly avoiding the issue. 

He said repeatedly in every interview that he didn't believe being gay was a sin. They just kept asking about it anyway, the same way they kept trying to insist Corbyn never condemned the actions of the IRA.

2 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

He said repeatedly in every interview that he didn't believe being gay was a sin. They just kept asking about it anyway, the same way they kept trying to insist Corbyn never condemned the actions of the IRA.

Thing is that he did believe it's a sin which is why he decided he couldn't go on and keep lying to himself. 

This was basically every interview over the past several weeks he did (outside of that Andrew Neil nonsense, where Andrew Neil talked/shouted for 25 minutes and interrupted the poor guy when he tried to answer questions):

Question 1:

Do you believe that homosexuals are an abomination against God? Answer: ...Of course not

Question 2:

Do you believe homosexuality is a sin? Answer: No

Question 3:

What do you have against being gay? Answer: Nothing.

Question 4:

Do you believe that gays should be allowed to get married? Answer: I voted for it. Can't we move on?

Question 5:

Mr. Farron do you believe that Anal is a sin? Answer: Look I'm a politician, not a preacher. I'm not running for pope.

Question 6:

Why did you not answer the question? Answer: I do not believe that gay sex is a sin.

Question 7:

Why do you think you have trouble answering these questions?

Edited by AtariLegend

17 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

This was basically every interview over the past several weeks he did (outside of that Andrew Neil nonsense, where Andrew Neil talked/shouted for 25 minutes and interrupted the poor guy when he tried to answer questions):

Question 1:

Do you believe that homosexuals are an abomination against God? Answer: ...Of course not

Question 2:

Do you believe homosexuality is a sin? Answer: No

Question 3:

What do you have against being gay? Answer: Nothing.

Question 4:

Do you believe that gays should be allowed to get married? Answer: I voted for it. Can't we move on?

Question 5:

Mr. Farron do you believe that Anal is a sin? Answer: Look I'm a politician, not a preacher. I'm not running for pope.

Question 6:

Why did you not answer the question? Answer: I do not believe that gay sex is a sin.

Question 7:

Why do you think you have trouble answering these questions?

He's an evangelical Christian. He totally thinks it's a sin. 

I really find the press hounding of Tim Farron specifically for his faith unfair. Theresa May and countless other MPs of all colours identify as Christians. Theresa May hasn't received the same questions, despite her voting record. 

Additionally, there is much misrepresentation over what the term "evangelical" actually means in the UK. People just see evangelical churches in the States and think they're all super conservative. 

The vast majority of evangelical churches are officially Church of England, sharing exactly the same theology as the little parish church where grannies go to. But they like to play guitar. My husband used to go to one such church, and the reality is that they are also geographically located in strong working class areas, therefore just because they may be social conservatives, it doesn't ensure that they aren't economically liberal. 

• Like 2

I think that the reason people like Theresa May don't get grilled on such things is because people don't expect any better of her.

Tim Farron is somebody who is outwardly very socially liberal in contradiction to the teachings of his faith.

The fact that he's very committed in his faith makes the contrast even more conspicuous. 

Edited by Dazey
Bad grammar.
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I think that the reason people like Theresa May don't get grilled on such things is because people don't expect any better of her.

Tim Farron presents a contradiction of somebody who is outwardly very socially liberal in contradiction to the teachings of his faith.

The fact that he's very committed in his faith makes the contrast even more conspicuous. 

This is exactly it. May is a Conservative, and so it's not surprising for someone with her political identity to hold those views.

For someone who claims to be a Liberal Democrat to hold the opinion that Farron did... well it seems contradictory to the party he claims to represent. 

40 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

I really find the press hounding of Tim Farron specifically for his faith unfair. Theresa May and countless other MPs of all colours identify as Christians. Theresa May hasn't received the same questions, despite her voting record. 

Additionally, there is much misrepresentation over what the term "evangelical" actually means in the UK. People just see evangelical churches in the States and think they're all super conservative. 

The vast majority of evangelical churches are officially Church of England, sharing exactly the same theology as the little parish church where grannies go to. But they like to play guitar. My husband used to go to one such church, and the reality is that they are also geographically located in strong working class areas, therefore just because they may be social conservatives, it doesn't ensure that they aren't economically liberal. 

Yes that is true. Evangelical in a British context generally refers to an 18th century trend within the Church of England dominated by the Wesley brothers, eventually leading to Methodism. It advocates a more devout Christianity including closer scrutiny of The Bible and an introspective 'awakening' - it also was conspicuous in certain 'causes' such as (slave) abolitionism. In a modern context it can literally just refer to a certain kind of Anglican or a Methodist. It is a rather umbrella term.

It is frequently conflated with Evangelicalism in an American context which generally means, Bible Belt, right wing, preaching.