British Politics

Gracii Guns

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes that is true. Evangelical in a British context generally refers to an 18th century trend within the Church of England dominated by the Wesley brothers, eventually leading to Methodism. It advocates a more devout Christianity including closer scrutiny of The Bible and an introspective 'awakening' - it also was conspicuous in certain 'causes' such as (slave) abolitionism. In a modern context it can literally just refer to a certain kind of Anglican or a Methodist. It is a rather umbrella term.

But do they approve of bumming? That's all anybody wants to know for the sake of this discussion.

Edited by Dazey

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

Do they approve of bumming? That's all anybody wants to know for the sake of this discussion.

If he is Methodist, it is difficult to say as Methodism is not really one church but is denominational and no doubt has a variety of opinions on the ancient past time of bumming.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

If he is Methodist, it is difficult to say as Methodism is not really one church but is denominational and no doubt has a variety of opinions on the ancient past time of bumming.

I was Christened in a Methodist church. :lol:

2 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

You know the way the Tories enhanced the NHS, by closing A&E's and May people never safer by cutting police numbers?

If May was gone, he might finally be PM.

Well you wanted this to happen, being in full on anti-Theresa May mode. As I said before, careful what you wish for.

The person who put in the cheap cladding, which is banned in the United States incidentally, lives in a £1 million mansion, while the owners of the tower each gave themselves £600.000 bonuses last year. The whole thing is sickening in the extreme. Our society is sickening in truth.

• Like 1

Cameron lives nearby as well in a very expensive multi-million home that they took a mortgage out on just before the referendum result. That was the jibe on a election night, about why a rich area wouldn't vote Tory.

People were confused that not everyone that lived there was rich.

Looks there's alot more that could be mentioned about the past few days and weeks.

I'm just going to say this then take a break, before I sound like a fanatic... I think next month and the inevitable annual riots on the streets of Belfast part in thanks to the culture the DUP brought to the mainstream in this part of the country, will finish this government. There's going to be some nasty images (socially) during the bonfire season that wouldn't normally matter or get coverage, but will now thanks to the Tories making deals with these guys.

Forget all that you've read about the DUP's social policies, in a few weeks you're going to see what they truly represent. Sectarian marches, bating and paramilitary flags.

Is this how politics normally is? Or are we in a golden era of shitshow. I sort of remember scandals but they were inside somekind of success or stability, but now it's like rolling disasters within free fall failing. 

9 minutes ago, wasted said:

Is this how politics normally is? Or are we in a golden era of shitshow. I sort of remember scandals but they were inside somekind of success or stability, but now it's like rolling disasters within free fall failing. 

I do not remember it being this tumultuous since Thatcher and the Poll Tax riots, when I was a tot.

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not remember it being this tumultuous since Thatcher and the Poll Tax riots, when I was a tot.

I vaguely remember that but it seemed isolated with some feeling of...there was a functioning government and you could leave house without getting blown up or knifed. 

On 6/11/2017 at 8:24 PM, DieselDaisy said:

The Loyalist community are Irish; they have been in Ireland since the 17th century; they consider themselves equally as 'Irish' as Catholic-Republicans (north and south of the border.

Exactly. Which means they are not Irish. I don't talk in terms of nationality,  I always talk in terms of ethnicity, mind. They're a  bunch of immigants that decided it was their's for the taking with zero regard for the existing populace. Imagine if a bunch of Lenny's lot decided England was their's?  No one would stand for it and no one would be calling them English (because they're swarthy). Even Americans have the decency to call those descended from Ulster, Scots-Irish Americans. 

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Revolution is in the air.

An economy based on cricket and gin. We destroy all Wetherspoons and electronic devices, everyone is then given a picture of the Queen and a black and white tv. 

Edited by wasted

1 hour ago, Johnny Drama said:

Exactly. Which means they are not Irish. I don't talk in terms of nationality,  I always talk in terms of ethnicity, mind. They're a  bunch of immigants that decided it was their's for the taking with zero regard for the existing populace. Imagine if a bunch of Lenny's lot decided England was their's?  No one would stand for it and no one would be calling them English (because they're swarthy). Even Americans have the decency to call those descended from Ulster, Scots-Irish Americans. 

You are talking out of your absolute arse. ''Their's for the taking''? Loyalist communities have been present in Ireland since the 1600s for crying out loud! I sincerely doubt there are any members old enough who were participants in the original Ulster Plantations (1606 - 1770s) but if there are any still floating around we'll be sure to alert The Hague and have them tried for war crimes! I'm quite certain none of the settlers did have ''zero regard for the existing populace'' either seeing as they would be bound to the ethics of their own historical era and not our own more pluralistic age.

The Loyalist community in Ireland have actually a more ancient pedigree than the British community (or for that matter the Euroasian community) of Australia; in actual fact Ulster settlement was just winding down at the same time as James Cook's discovery of Australia's eastern seaboard. Further, Ulster's earliest plantation is one year older than Virginia Colony, the first permanent English settlement of what would become the United States of America. Using your logic we'd have to suddenly declare people located in those two aforementioned countries ''immigrants'' (and presumably advocate the liquidation of their three geo-polities, Northern Ireland, Australia and the United States respectively). After all, what is the difference? In all three circumstances we see incoming British migrants establishing settlement colonies which would go on to become states; in all three, their destination possessed a preexisting ethnic community and state(s). The only difference is the manner and timing in which statehood was achieved.

Your analogy with Len makes absolutely no sense. In fact it actually supports my argument and not yours seeing as Len (I hope he doesn't mind me speaking on his behalf) was born in England, is an English/British subject and regards himself as English, going so far to be stupid enough to support our wretched football team.

PS

Are you going to make statehood a sticking point? Are you generally more an admirer of the Republic of Ireland? Well, you do realise that in extremist Republican ideology the Republic of Ireland is actually considered equally an aberration as Northern Ireland is seeing as extreme Republicans only recognise the legitimacy of the Second Dáil (1921).

5 hours ago, wasted said:

An economy based on cricket and gin. We destroy all Wetherspoons and electronic devices, everyone is then given a picture of the Queen and a black and white tv. 

The British are hopeless at revolution. We are much poorer than the French who are experts at it. We might shout in Trafalgar Square with a bunch of placards but then we'll all be back before Coronation Street starts. We got 'our revolution' over and done with earlier (1688) than the rest of Europe and it was a rather sedate affair, a mere changing of the guard, an invitation infact for a rather effeminate Dutchman to assume the Kingship. He later died incidentally when out riding, his horse falling over a molehill!

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

The British are hopeless at revolution. We are much poorer than the French who are experts at it. We might shout in Trafalgar Square with a bunch of placards but then we'll all be back before Coronation Street starts. We got 'our revolution' over and done with earlier (1688) than the rest of Europe and it was a rather sedate affair, a mere changing of the guard, an invitation infact for a rather effeminate Dutchman to assume the Kingship. He later died incidentally when out riding, his horse falling over a molehill!

In the olden days didn't a lot more people die by choking on chicken bones at a feast. Most British seem pretty humble and frugal really. There is still some make do philosophy, waste not want not. No real ambition, just happy to be alive! Let's go down the pub.