British Politics

Gracii Guns

I do not really understand what is happening to this sodden country, I really don't?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4635504/EDL-anti-fascist-groups-square-central-London.html

Still there is some humour - even here,

41B5444D00000578-4635504-image-a-103_149

What is Gary Neville doing there?

41B4729D00000578-4635504-image-a-105_149

Bit hot but I do not think she likes me somehow - I cannot fathom why?

41B422C600000578-0-image-a-51_1498311644

Nothing really much to add there haha.

13 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Corbyn at Glastonbury was about the most sinister political spectacle seen in Britain. It was straight out of the Goebbels handbook of mixing art/entertainment and political propaganda.

Well this is my interpretation and speculation. The way I see it I think it is good that kids have a politician as hero or mentor. I don't like it when kids role models heroes are football players and celebrities. Corbyn's speech was not only setting goals for today but also for the future. 20 years from now those kids will be teachers, lawyers, doctors, etc. Well I think Corbyn meant  to pass the torch. The world needs for those kids to care about the environment, education, jobs, NHS, etc not only now but also in the future.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Padme said:

Well this is my interpretation and speculation. The way I see it I think it is good that kids have a politician as hero or mentor. I don't like it when kids role models heroes are football players and celebrities. Corbyn's speech was not only setting goals for today but also for the future. 20 years from now those kids will be teachers, lawyers, doctors, etc. Well I think Corbyn meant  to pass the torch. The world needs for those kids to care about the environment, education, jobs, NHS, etc not only now but also in the future.

That is all fair and good but none of it is pertinent to what I said. To actually proselytise, and be endorsed - be seen to be endorsed - by a gigantic arts/entertainment event (e.g. Eavis), is very sinister indeed; any student of totalitarian regimes will describe to you the successful ability for non-political but highly influential bulwarks of society, e.g. the arts and entertainment and sports world or the churches, to collaborate with, and harness themselves to, a political ideology/party/person(s) and thus proliferate the politics through influence and monopolising of the media. Besides, what if you hated Corbyn (there must have been one or two in that crowd?) and were left watching a bearded Trot rant on about 'austerity' instead of Liam Gallagher playing 'Wonderwall'? 

Let me put this to you: a Tory delivers a political speech at say Last Night of the Proms? There would be outrage from the left! The left would be saying exactly what I have just said above. 

3 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

I really don't get why people let Neo-Nazis live. They should be wiped off the face of the earth.

Probably because if you wiped Neo-Nazis off the face of the earth, you'd then be the Nazis (using the term liberally to describe arbitrary totalitarian governments). I have a real hard job calling Neo-Nazis 'Nazis' infact - or even 'fascisti'. More like the chavy football-hooligan off-pourings of Britain's deprived council estates. 'Racists' certainly, but most of them couldn't tell you what bona fide Nazism is (I bet) which did have distinct ideological origins and trends. 

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I bet these English groupings like the EDL would be surprised to learn that Muslims served in the Waffen-SS.

It is more a badge for their racism. It is basically like 8 guys in a basement though, meanwhile these huge militaries are drone bombing the middle east and it's a humanitarian effort to stop terror. It seems like a contradiction to me. 

Horrified to see my local MP (or dinosaur as Caroline Lucas would say) on TV propping up the fucking Tories.

You'd think I'd be happy about them having extra money to spend here? See what they've done with public money over the past few years. The cash for ash scam cost the tax payer half a billion on it's own. If these guys had been English, even Murdoch and Dacre would have struggled to defend them.

3 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Don't know why the EDL would be getting that much attention when the political wing of these guys is outside downing street giving speeches about the union;

360.jpg

They look like little miniature people, like Jawas from Star Wars if they entered the army.

11 hours ago, Padme said:

New fishing policy. The thing is this is an agreement from 1964. There was not EU back then. I'm confused :huh:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40471466

It sounds like European though like Human Rights and will get Daily Express/Mail pensioners jumping for joy.

People aren't going to bother reading the figures though either which seem to suggest that this isn't going to make much of a difference to the lives of British fishers.

10 hours ago, wasted said:

I'm completely lost. Can anyone summarise what is going on? feels like there's 2 governments and they both have multiple personalities. 

Last year 52% of voters decided to fucked it up for everyone else. They believed in stupid lies from populists and lame ass politicians. Then the incompetent guy who used to be PM just jumped from the sinking boat. In his place there is an incompetent and stupid woman who doesn't have a clue about anything either. She thought that with silly slogans everything was going to be allright. Wrong! She called an election because she was 120% sure her party was going to win with a landslide. Wrong again! The Tories lost seats and she has even less mandate and polularity than before the election. People are against austerity policies. And the current government is doing nothing about it. In the middle of this mess there was a "three hours meeting" between EU negotiators and the UK negotiations team A.K.A. Curly, Larry and Moe. They and the UK ended up with something called reality. Meaning the UK has to pay a divorce bill before the UK can negotiate a new kind a of trade agreement. Later this months there is a second "three hours meeting" Only God knows what's gonna happen.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Padme said:

Last year 52% of voters decided to fucked it up for everyone else. They believed in stupid lies from populists and lame ass politicians. Then the incompetent guy who used to be PM just jumped from the sinking boat. In his place there is an incompetent and stupid woman who doesn't have a clue about anything either. She thought that with silly slogans everything was going to be allright. Wrong! She called an election because she was 120% sure her party was going to win with a landslide. Wrong again! The Tories lost seats and she has even less mandate and polularity than before the election. People are against austerity policies. And the current government is doing nothing about it. In the middle of this mess there was a "three hours meeting" between EU negotiators and the UK negotiations team A.K.A. Curly, Larry and Moe. They and the UK ended up with something called reality. Meaning the UK has to pay a divorce bill before the UK can negotiate a new kind a of trade agreement. Later this months there is a second "three hours meeting" Only God knows what's gonna happen.

So hard or soft Brexit is really just a brexit, we just will never get a good deal like they said. And then there's Cornyn who might crash the party, but it's still some sort of brexit. We'll never be a force in the EU. 

It really did seem like the old folks and generation dole just voted us out. But they were really only voting to help a small group of elite business people. 

I think what you wrote does clarify the situation. I was lost between all the various forms of brexit and Corbyn shennanigans. 

It just seems crazy to do brexit then go back to the 70s with Corbyn. 

I just think we are in denial. We are bankrupt. We don't make anything. We have been paying salaries and welfare with borrowed money for years. But we still think our standard of living is because of our work ethic or superiority. And both parties sell us a right load of bollocks every election. But the noose is getting tighter. Brexit on the surface may have a certain section of the population owning that. But it was probably just old foggies and some weird pride aka denial. I might have speculated too far. 

I think it's what you said though. It's stable shambles at the moment.