"My World" WTF?

dontdamnmeuyi2015

5 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Okay, I was listening to you could be mine today and then the other version of Don't cry, which I really like too, and I listened to My World. I don't think I ever really listened to this song, but wtf?

Does anyone know the meaning behind this song? Is if just a collaboration of other songs and a woman panting?

Is it really Axl rapping or ranting or whatever the hell he is doing?  I thought for a minute my cd went off and I had on a radio station. lol

Anyway, just never really thought about this song and in the GNR books I've read by Duff, Steven and Slash, this song has never been mentioned at all.

It seemed to me like the band was just making a statement as to how badass they were and not to mess with them.

The singing is pretty cringeworthy -- like Axl is trying extra hard to sound edgy. It feels like someone pretending to be on an acid trip even if they're actually on one.

Now the synth stuff on the other hand is a fine little stab at Reznor territory. The "Look what I'm doing now" portion would have sounded cool as a videogame track or as part of a movie score.

Basically, he should have released my world as an instrumental -- would have been accepted a lot better.

I've always liked My World in that I never turn it on but wouldn't turn it off when I have volume 2 on.

Back when we were students we used to get our lighters out and try and get the lighter flick in the song on time as a drinking game. The song is madness but thats why its kinda cool, like clawing into the mind of a 30 year old crackpot genius at the height of fame. 

Edited by Izzymacbeth

19 hours ago, stella said:

I agree. A friend and I once had great fun walking around repeating the "you want to talk to me? So talk to me!" part back and forth, LOL.

Yeah love that part! Thanks to all you GNR fans for giving me your amazing opinions.

Axl is too much!

always keeping his GNR fans on their toes.

Axl was probably pissed at someone or high or whatever just being Axl. Very cool! But still freaks me out! lol

18 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It was mentioned in an article published before the release of the UYI albums (and of course the interviews and the information contained in the article were obtained earlier):

Apparently, they did. The sophistication of the Use Your Illusion material will be a shock to fans who may have been expecting Appetite for Destruction-style slam. The stylistic diversity of the tracks is staggering: a industrial cyberpunk tirade ("My World"); Elton John-inspired piano ballads ("Estranged" and "November Rain" - the latter featuring Rose on piano and augmented by lavish orchestral arrangements and a choir); Stonesy shuffles ("Dust n' Bones", "14 Years"); a psychedelic offering called "The Garden", featuring mind-fuck guitars and a guest appearance by Alice Cooper; a defibrilator-charged monster called "Coma"; and the last track to be completed, "Get in the Ring", Guns n' Roses serpent-tongued serenade to a few magazine editors (they name names) who've pissed them off.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=62

Axl has said that Slash had said "it's perfect" and Duff liked it a lot and jammed it with the Bodycount guys. Slash hasn't said anything about it, Duff mentioned it once (in the VR era) saying that it was one of his favourite songs.

Izzy said that he didn't know about it and heard it for the first time when the albums were released. However, in an interview he gave a little before he left, he said that he didn't listen anymore to the tapes of the mixed UYI material that the management was sending him.

Here it is:

AXL: "My World" happened when we were sitting around being a bit bored. We had been working on "Live and Let Die" all night and it was early morning. I'd been listening to a lot of industrial music and all of a sudden I said, "Hey man, let's do something. Let's see what happens. Let's just make it short and sweet and see what we come up with." In three hours we wrote and recorded the song.

MUSICIAN: In it you refer to you "socio-psychotic state of bliss."
AXL: I'll expose a little more of myself - we were also on 'shrooms. A friend of mine had stuck some mushrooms in my tea and I didn't know it. All of a sudden we were being really mellow. So it was kind of a socio-psychotic state of bliss.

http://www.oocities.org/rattlesnake_suitcase/mus92.htm

Damn these guys are lucky to have their brains still in tacked after all the shit they did in the 80's and 90's. lol

Maybe Axl figured "rap" was big then and this was his contribution to all those rappers out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I love My World because it pisses everyone off and was the very last song you'd expect to hear on a Guns album. It's the perfect conclusion to the UYI Albums and the "old" era of the band- it's very Guns n' Roses in the sense it's not Guns N' Roses.