Use your illusion tour vs. not in this lifetime tour

Just now, PatrickS77 said:

So you listen to a album once and then you're done? Never listen to it again? I thought so. So much for "music as a museum" piece. And this whole notion that there needs to be new music for a tour to be legitimate is a whole bunch of BS. It's entertainment. People go to a concert to hear the songs they love. And there is no rule on how many times you can go see these songs being performed live or how long they can be performed. If it's too much for you, then just stay home and let others enjoy the concerts.

I am - don't worry.

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm a massive Stones fan but I think the Stones should have buggered-off years ago.

I'm not a massive Stones fan, but I'm glad they still do it and will go see them, whenever they tour around me. And I don't care whether they perform new music or not. So, there you have it. ;-)

I'm not a massive Stones fan, but I'm glad they still do it and will go see them, whenever they tour around me. And I don't care whether they perform new music or not. So, there you have it. ;-)

Well place your £300 down and watch Jagger wriggling his seventy year old behind then.

In the Stones' defense they do play new music. They released Doom and Gloom not that long ago and played it live which was a decent little rocker. They released a blues covers album recently. So there is still more inspiration in their collective corpse than Rose.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well place your £300 down and watch Jagger wriggling his seventy year old behind then.

In the Stones' defense they do play new music. They released Doom and Gloom not that long ago and played it live which was a decent little rocker. They released a blues covers album recently. So there is still more inspiration in their collective corpse than Rose.

Never spent 300 on them, but whatever. Yeah. I go see them and have fun. Much better than staying at home and be grumpy that bands dare to go on tour without new music. Never will get the arrogance of telling those bands what they can and can't do.

So you want GNR to release a covers album. We had that already.

• Like 3

Never spent 300 on them, but whatever. Yeah. I go see them and have fun. Much better than staying at home and be grumpy that bands dare to go on tour without new music. Never will get the arrogance of telling those bands what they can and can't do.

So you want GNR to release a covers album. We had that already.

I do not want Guns to especially do anything. They are what they are these days.

Until now, NITLT ends with the last US show (september 8)...These US and Canada shows aren´t a second round, are a second leg.. they´ll play for different venues.I remember that St. Louis GIG supposed to be in the first leg but then they cut it off..And they only did 1 show in Canada..After these shows I think the tour ends...And then we have RIR! If they plan show us something new that´s the best opportunity..Even because Rio and Sao Paulo will be a second round, same cities, same venue.

16 hours ago, Derick said:

Until now, NITLT ends with the last US show (september 8)...These US and Canada shows aren´t a second round, are a second leg.. they´ll play for different venues.I remember that St. Louis GIG supposed to be in the first leg but then they cut it off..And they only did 1 show in Canada..After these shows I think the tour ends...And then we have RIR! If they plan show us something new that´s the best opportunity..Even because Rio and Sao Paulo will be a second round, same cities, same venue.

I try to stay optimistic, but If I know GN'R well enough, they're gonna finish out the NA leg, play RIR and Sao Paulo, and then go on a 5 month break without saying anything. 

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, GNR 1991 said:

Comparing it to the UYI tour is beyond superfluous -- back then it was about touring dominance and promoting two records (three if you count TSI).

The current tour, as it stands is simply a cash grab so the world over can see Axl and Slash together again. The differences between the tours are big, and shouldn't be compared. If you're talking about performances, well....have fun with that discussion of Richard vs Gilby/Frank vs Matt/etc

This. New music probably changes the perception for a lot of people. Instead, what we have now is a cash grab. Agreed completely.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:15 PM, Tom-Ass said:

i'm tired of hearing "cash grab"... I am sure they are enjoying the money very much and they are definitely ass raping us wit the pathetic prices but I don't think it is all about the money..

Yeah but it is about the money, and it is more of a cash grab than anything else and you know that to be true. Who's the rhythm guitar player? And why is that? Same goes with the drummer, who is and why?Seems It's cheaper to pay Fortus and Frank vs Izzy and Adler/Sorum. And between Frank/Fortus vs. Izzy/Adler/Sorum or even Gilby, which lineup is more "GNR"?

What do the set lists look like and how do they compare? Well, we have Slash and Duff playing "Guns n Roses" songs from an era that many, like yourself and several others around here, don't consider to be Guns N Roses. Why? Because they want to get paid.

I know what you mean..Slash and Axl wouldn't be touring ala Kiss or Van Halen if they hated each other. So it's not completely about the money but, I'm sure Axl realizing how much more money would be in it to have Slash back probably eased him into reuniting. If it was about the art, new art would be created. So they're selling you the old art you're used to. They're leaving out key guys because of money and ego. No interviews or promo. I guess the point here is, there are probably multiple definitions of a cashgrab and not just the singular definition of "Well we hate each others guts but, we want your money".

The UYI tour wasn't a cash grab because there was purpose to it... I'm not sure what the purpose is of the NITL tour at this point. If it wan't about a cash grab and about Axl and Slash renewing their friendship, they wouldn't be doing a second round of stadium tours in the US before hitting other parts of the world that really want Guns and still aren't getting them.

Edited by Billsfan

You really can't beat seeing a band in their prime..the excitement is palpable. However, when I saw Guns in '91, the UYI albums hadn't been released yet..so as hyped as we all were to see them, honestly, we didn't know half the songs that they played! It's hard to really rock out to a tune at a concert when you don't know it, and that is part of the fun. So for me, and perhaps others, this time around, we knew every song which was so awesome! There's something to be said for that. Also, there was alot of downtime back then, and Axl was running around so much that he was out of breath half the time. So, I can't really choose between them..one was part of living history so to speak, and the other, regardless of how you label it, was a chance to return to that moment as an adult, and really savour it. 

• Like 3

NITL is but a shadow, a hint of what the UYI Tour was. And that is as it should be IMHO considering the timeless appeal of rebellious youth, etc. and that in the UYI Tour we are discussing the stuff of legend.

That said- NITL is a beautiful thing in its own right IMHO- and should be treasured/savored. It is a cruel business and a "victory lap" is by no means guaranteed to anybody- particularly a band as volatile and polarizing as Guns. So cool that we are getting this moment (along with AXL/DC)- and thanks to Axl/Slash/Duff for rising above and continuing to make it happen.:headbang:

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

NITL is but a shadow, a hint of what the UYI Tour was. And that is as it should be IMHO considering the timeless appeal of rebellious youth, etc. and that in the UYI Tour we are discussing the stuff of legend.

That said- NITL is a beautiful thing in its own right IMHO- and should be treasured/savored. It is a cruel business and a "victory lap" is by no means guaranteed to anybody- particularly a band as volatile and polarizing as Guns. So cool that we are getting this moment (along with AXL/DC)- and thanks to Axl/Slash/Duff for rising above and continuing to make it happen.:headbang:

Stated beautifully.   I saw the UYI tour and based on 1995ish-2015ish was resigned to never seeing them again.   This NITLT tour is great.  It's like a Swan Song.  I don't expect more after my show in July, and I'm not really sure I want more.   In an odd way I've had my "closure" now (after the Vegas shows I saw and my upcoming show). 

On 2017-04-19 at 3:43 PM, WhazUp said:

It is hard to compare because for the Illusions that was the height of their popularity, they were not a legendary classic rock band at that point, they were a hugely popular band of the time. For this recent tour it is also special because a lot of people like me who were not around for that can finally have that special moment of seeing Slash, Axl and Duff on stage together playing the music we love and hold dear.

It's kinda weird but while the illusions tour and albums were happening it was obviously history in the making. It felt like that. This feels like a limper dick version. I'm happy it's happening and think it's cool they like each other again and its cool to see them again and for people who didn't see it first time round,  but the illusions tour and this aren't even comparable. 

12 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Yeah but it is about the money, and it is more of a cash grab than anything else and you know that to be true. Who's the rhythm guitar player? And why is that? Same goes with the drummer, who is and why?Seems It's cheaper to pay Fortus and Frank vs Izzy and Adler/Sorum. And between Frank/Fortus vs. Izzy/Adler/Sorum or even Gilby, which lineup is more "GNR"?

What do the set lists look like and how do they compare? Well, we have Slash and Duff playing "Guns n Roses" songs from an era that many, like yourself and several others around here, don't consider to be Guns N Roses. Why? Because they want to get paid.

I know what you mean..Slash and Axl wouldn't be touring ala Kiss or Van Halen if they hated each other. So it's not completely about the money but, I'm sure Axl realizing how much more money would be in it to have Slash back probably eased him into reuniting. If it was about the art, new art would be created. So they're selling you the old art you're used to. They're leaving out key guys because of money and ego. No interviews or promo. I guess the point here is, there are probably multiple definitions of a cashgrab and not just the singular definition of "Well we hate each others guts but, we want your money".

The UYI tour wasn't a cash grab because there was purpose to it... I'm not sure what the purpose is of the NITL tour at this point. If it wan't about a cash grab and about Axl and Slash renewing their friendship, they wouldn't be doing a second round of stadium tours in the US before hitting other parts of the world that really want Guns and still aren't getting them.

Seriously.. what`s the point of this cash grab talk? Some people here insist to label this current tour as a "cash grab" in a bad way. I really don`t get it! For over 20 long years people wished and cried to see Axl and Slash together again ( diehard fans and casuals too)...  So, after put together things, they decides to do a big tour to give what people wants and make a lot of money...And I ask, what´s wrong with that? Why are people so upset with their bank account? 

Talking about purpose...On this tour the purpose is celebrate that Axl, Slash and Duff are back together after 20 years of rupture..and I ask again, what`s wrong with that? People want it, people are having it. Most of the people who are going to the shows are not worried about new music. These guys just got together, it will take some time to launch a new album, first they need to reestablish themselves as a band, that's how it is. 

P.D: The possibility of making a fortune has always been around them. Money was not the determining factor. It could be a good stimulus, but it was not what triggered it. For me Tommy,Bumble and Ashba`s departures and Axl getting along with Slash again was the master key..The money? The money was a pleasure and obvious consequence for them!

• Like 3

No comparison between the 2.

But I don't think that should retract from what we are getting now. It's 2017, people change, times have changed. 

Someone mentioned the atmospheres for UYI as being so much better which is an interesting point. 

one thing that fucks me off about gigs is people standing and filming, it's like a see of 50 thousand zombies staring into a phone just to record something that they are at live, it fucks the atmosphere, if these people concentrated on actually enjoying the show and having a good time instead of trying to record a dodgy iPhone video the whole thing would be ten times better 

but hey, that's the human race these days! 

• Like 1

In terms of Slash and Duff, you're choosing between advanced years and barely being sober enough to play. I think old Slash and especially Duff are just about winning.

Similarly, while you'd think that NITL Axl couldn't possibly compete with his younger self, at least he turns up on time.

And I think everyone else onstage now is superior to their UYI counterparts but that's just my opinion and I don't want to waste time getting into arguments with anyone over it.

WHERES IZZY?

18 hours ago, Original said:

Stated beautifully.   I saw the UYI tour and based on 1995ish-2015ish was resigned to never seeing them again.   This NITLT tour is great.  It's like a Swan Song.  I don't expect more after my show in July, and I'm not really sure I want more.   In an odd way I've had my "closure" now (after the Vegas shows I saw and my upcoming show). 

that's so cute you have closure :headbang:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Derick said:

Seriously.. what`s the point of this cash grab talk? Some people here insist to label this current tour as a "cash grab" in a bad way. I really don`t get it! For over 20 long years people wished and cried to see Axl and Slash together again ( diehard fans and casuals too)...  So, after put together things, they decides to do a big tour to give what people wants and make a lot of money...And I ask, what´s wrong with that? Why are people so upset with their bank account? 

Talking about purpose...On this tour the purpose is celebrate that Axl, Slash and Duff are back together after 20 years of rupture..and I ask again, what`s wrong with that? People want it, people are having it. Most of the people who are going to the shows are not worried about new music. These guys just got together, it will take some time to launch a new album, first they need to reestablish themselves as a band, that's how it is. 

P.D: The possibility of making a fortune has always been around them. Money was not the determining factor. It could be a good stimulus, but it was not what triggered it. For me Tommy,Bumble and Ashba`s departures and Axl getting along with Slash again was the master key..The money? The money was a pleasure and obvious consequence for them!

Are those serious questions? It's cool to see the big 3 back together sure but, the fact that izzy was intentionally left out over money when they probably already would have made great money regardless, is the issue. Hence: IT'S A CASH GRAB. No new music... CASH GRAB. Nothing created, only milking material... If you and some others like Brownstone don't like the truth, I'm sorry for you but, like it or not, this is a cash grab.

Deal with it

2 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Are those serious questions? It's cool to see the big 3 back together sure but, the fact that izzy was intentionally left out over money when they probably already would have made great money regardless, is the issue. Hence: IT'S A CASH GRAB. No new music... CASH GRAB. Nothing created, only milking material... If you and some others like Brownstone don't like the truth, I'm sorry for you but, like it or not, this is a cash grab.

Deal with it

I think you lost me man! I don´t need deal with it... because I have no problem with that they are doing a lot of money.. This fact does not bother me, at all! I really wanted them to play together again but I already had it as something impossible and now they are back. Last time I saw these motherfuckers together I was 15 and a lot things happened since then which led me to believe that they would never share a stage again...So I really don´t get all this negativity that you and a couple of people insist on spreading here. On this context, on this tour, new music is irrelevant that´s not the purpose of the NITLT..You need to understand this to be able to enjoy it. I also want a new album a lot, but I know they just came back and they're in the middle of a tour, so why should I lose my mind on this?

About Izzy..I don´t know what`s the real deal but if he´s off because the money was not equally divided like he said...Although I admire him and be very grateful for his contribution to the band...I think that in the past he lost a key chapter of the band and in that chapter his old mates worked very hard. And much of this hard work made it possible for them to make that money now. You can make a ton of good music but if you do not leave your home to work on it, you will not get rich. Take a look at his solo career ... I bet he has a lot of good stuff but where is Izzy to work on his own project and make these stuff bring to him big money? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Deal with it

I get what you're saying about the cash grab, but has it ever been specified what exactly happened between guns and izzy? All I heard was they didn't want to split the loot. Maybe izzy was only offered a few shows or songs and he wanted more than they wanted to give. Who knows if they actually wanted izzy for the whole tour, he has always been kinda flaky. Maybe they figured he'd be a liability? All they would've needed was a few cancelled shows and everyone would've been done with them, people would've said guns is up to the same old shit. Maybe they didn't want to take that chance? Hell I don't know, I'm not trying to defend that it's not a cash grab, but at the same time, I don't think we know enough about izzys potential envolvement to say that because he isn't there, it's a cash grab. Also, I remember Axl said once that he felt taken advantage of by izzy for what they paid him to play a few songs in 2006, maybe that also played a role. Considering how everyone says Axl is very loyal, I have a hard time thinking he would've just canned fortus. Hell he even offered ashba a spot rather than fire him. 

1 hour ago, mikeman5150 said:

I get what you're saying about the cash grab, but has it ever been specified what exactly happened between guns and izzy? All I heard was they didn't want to split the loot. Maybe izzy was only offered a few shows or songs and he wanted more than they wanted to give. Who knows if they actually wanted izzy for the whole tour, he has always been kinda flaky. Maybe they figured he'd be a liability? All they would've needed was a few cancelled shows and everyone would've been done with them, people would've said guns is up to the same old shit. Maybe they didn't want to take that chance? Hell I don't know, I'm not trying to defend that it's not a cash grab, but at the same time, I don't think we know enough about izzys potential envolvement to say that because he isn't there, it's a cash grab. Also, I remember Axl said once that he felt taken advantage of by izzy for what they paid him to play a few songs in 2006, maybe that also played a role. Considering how everyone says Axl is very loyal, I have a hard time thinking he would've just canned fortus. Hell he even offered ashba a spot rather than fire him. 

:wow: Oh no you didn't! Do you have bodyguards? You might need them. 

Just kidding.:D

• Like 3

On 2017-04-22 at 1:31 PM, DieselDaisy said:

That blues album is excellent..as was doom and gloom. Keefs solo album ain't bad either.

On 22/04/2017 at 3:26 PM, PatrickS77 said:

So you listen to a album once and then you're done? Never listen to it again? I thought so. So much for "music as a museum" piece. And this whole notion that there needs to be new music for a tour to be legitimate is a whole bunch of BS. It's entertainment. People go to a concert to hear the songs they love. And there is no rule on how many times you can go see these songs being performed live or how long they can be performed. If it's too much for you, then just stay home and let others enjoy the concerts.

Correct and most people take a piss when new music is played anyway. I like Morrissey and I like his new tracks but the floor clears when he debuts them. Most are at the shows to sign along and enjoy the songs they know and love.

Edited by MADDOGJONES