Favourite NON-AFD members?

12 minutes ago, estranged_85 said:

Sorum. Good solid drummer. miss him in the band.

I also liked Gilby. Good rythm guitarist that looked good on stage and didn't take too much or too little space. Besides that he seems like a good guy an has the "right" influences in music.

Yeah- Gilby would get an "honorable mention" for me after Dizzy/Dj/Bumble. More of a "showman" than Izzy- but didn't become a distraction IMHO. Also really like Pawnshop...

17 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I'm surprised about all the love Robin is getting recently. 

When he was in the band that was a bit different. :D Butchering all of Slash's leads, super goofy stage antics, etc.

I'd say Gilby and Matt as well.

Ashba and bumblefoot played the old songs more as written. People side with Robin and Buckethead for their superior writing and performance on CD. We also hate the fact that on CD, Bumble and Frank redid some of Bucket and Brains parts 

In my imagination I always wanted more music from GNR with the different line ups and on the band's 35 or 40th anniversary a huuuuge concert going through all the decade and albums by every member like, the AFD 5 playing the AFD and Lies songs, Sorum and Izzy playing the Illusions, Gilby playing Spaghetti and more....

Dj was ok , let s put it that way: with slash being not available the choice of dj was ok. He played in suitable way and his look besides the hat was special but cool. He should have left the hat at home ,it worsened the situation as slash look a like... he was very nice to the fans. I love the fact when musicians go down from the stage and let people touch them or when they walk through the first rows. Dj did that in vienna. I appreciated. He is not slash but was ok for his time in the band. 

• Like 2

Ron. For me he's the most memorable non AFD member of GNR... And I know, we should all probably say Dizzy due to his tenure, but Ron for me was a great player, when he was enthusiastic and naive about the possibilities of the band he was pushing for new music... Which NOBODY else did. I also love his solo material especially the last 3 releases.

Gilby and Matt are honourable mentions just because the UYI era was so ridiculous and over the top and they were on the band at that time.

so, what I'm getting from this thread is that Gilby/Matt >>> Fortus/Frank

Interesting. And tough to argue.

For me, anything from that 87-93 lineup is what everyone considers to be GNR (Axl, Slash, Izzy, Gilby, Duff, Steven, Sorum, Dizzy) but for me, the only other lineup that rivaled that was the 2002 lineup with Bucket, Robin and Brain.

Edited by Billsfan
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Natty said:

Dj was ok , let s put it that way: with slash being not available the choice of dj was ok. He played in suitable way and his look besides the hat was special but cool. He should have left the hat at home ,it worsened the situation as slash look a like... he was very nice to the fans. I love the fact when musicians go down from the stage and let people touch them or when they walk through the first rows. Dj did that in vienna. I appreciated. He is not slash but was ok for his time in the band. 

Yep. I know many "diehards" found it "cheesy" or trying too hard (especially for a band like Guns)- and I guess I get that- but I think Dj's crowd interaction, including going into the crowd, slapping hands, etc.- made for a lot more "happy casuals" (most there just to see Axl and hear the "hits") leaving the arena. Dj embraces the "entertainer" part of the entertainment business- and I do think there is a certain value in that...   

On 22/04/2017 at 0:48 PM, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

As long as Slash's return was a pipe dream and new music unlikely- I appreciated Dj busting his ass onstage, making the shows a little more enjoyable for casuals, etc. Also appeared to have an understanding for the whiskey-drenched culture of the band/music and seemingly remained very faithful to the classics. I will also always give him props that the casuals I went to shows with in 11-12 went in talking about Axl and came out talking about Axl and Dj. Just my experience with his tenure though...

My experience too, he was very popular with the casuals at the shows I attended.

On 21/04/2017 at 11:40 PM, Live Like a Suicide said:

Realistically, those spots should go to Gilby and Matt for essentially saving the band. Behind them, i would have to give it to Bumblefoot for his skills and down to earth and easy going attitude.

Yeah, maybe, but if it wasn't them it would have been two other guys, all they did was take a job and do good at it.

I used to really like Sorum and would have said him hands down.  But as I've watched more interviews of him, I'm not sure.  The UYI records are my fav and he was the drummer for them so I still lean towards picking him, but Gilby really seems chill and maybe easier to like.  But besides "TSI?" (which were covers) he didn't get a chance to do anything with the band besides play Izzy's parts.  The Nu-era has had so many interesting members who contributed in varying degrees to ChiDem.  This is a hard question to answer

I guess Tommy but really only because The Replacements were the best band ever. I can't honestly say he was that great in GnR.  

So my real answer would be, none. Guns N' Roses has five real members and five real members only.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20.4.2017 at 8:28 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Buckethead, and Brain, because they're leagues above the rest.

Brain is one of the worst drummers GnR could take. He has absolutely nothing to do with rock n' roll music.

Gilby and Matt did a perfect job.

The rest of them were good in terms of being musicians. But they failed to be GnR members. Even Axl failed being a GnR member since 1994.

NuGnR was an interesting project. But calling it GnR was a curse. 

Edited by 2414225

2 hours ago, 2414225 said:

Brain is one of the worst drummers GnR could take. He has absolutely nothing to do with rock n' roll music.

Gilby and Matt did a perfect job.

The rest of them were good in terms of being musicians. But they failed to be GnR members. Even Axl failed being a GnR member since 1994.

NuGnR was an interesting project. But calling it GnR was a curse. 

I think Brain was actually a great pick (especially for the 01/02 line-up). I like his sound and style the best after Steven, even though they're completely different. Obviously I appreciate Matt's skill level but his sound is way more mechanical, Brain didn't have Steven's groove but he had his own recognizable style.

And I don't really care about the 'GNR name' thing, but yea it was kind of a curse.