Influenced Musicians Here?

Sadly, I'm mostly like Axl in the sense that I went through 21 guitarists before getting my album out. It was a band format, everybody quit, and it became my solo project. (Except my album took 5 years, not 14 or 9 LOL).

Crap!! I'm a dictator!! LOL

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tremolo said:

Funny enough, GNR are the band that have influenced me the least musically despite being one of my favourites.

I don't know why. I have learned some of their songs, and I have certainly enjoyed listening to their albums, but they never inspired me to create anything. I guess their influence on me was more about attitude and not giving a fuck, but anyone can get that from almost any rock band.

Robin Finck has been an immense influence in style and stage presence, but to me he will always be NIN's guitarist. Dave Navarro has been a source of inspiration and influence as well, but that's as far as it goes when it comes to GNR-related musicians.

Other bands have had a way bigger musical impact in me: Trent Reznor/NIN (synths), Kevin Shields/My Bloody Valentine (mostly tone and melody), Placebo (melody), Kurt Cobain/Nirvana (guitar, melody), Jane's Addiction/Dave Navarro/Eric Avery (bass, guitar, licks, solos), Flaco Spinetta (guitar, chords), Charly Garcia (piano, piano, piano, piano), Bowie, and a bunch of japanese bands and musicians.

Awesome! Which Japanese bands may I ask? 

39 minutes ago, tremolo said:

Quite a few...

hide (incredible musician all around, extremely versatile and great guitar player), Kuroyume, Sads, Kiyoharu, Tomoyasu Hotei, Kyosuke Himuro, Boøwy, YMO, Pizzicato 5, Kazuma Endo, Daita, Siam Shade, Susumu Hirasawa, Akira Yamaoka, L'arc en ciel. Those come to mind right now. To less extent X Japan and Luna Sea.

I'm a huge fan of your lesser extent bands. I saw X Japan at Wembley Arena last month. Was amazing. hide would be my fiancée's major influence. Great choice of bands! Thanks for the reply. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Izzymacbeth said:

I'm a huge fan of your lesser extent bands. I saw X Japan at Wembley Arena last month. Was amazing. hide would be my fiancée's major influence. Great choice of bands! Thanks for the reply. 

Oh boy good call with hide (and Pata). One of the best guitar duos in rock history.

I saw X Japan in 2010. So happy I got to see them, one of the best gigs ever. Too bad the new albums become a Chinese Democracy situation

8 hours ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Absolutely. GNR are the ones that opened up the Pandora's box for this Rock n Roll stuff for me when I was around 14/15. Although, Im no more than a bedroom player(occassionally I jam with some buddies) I love Guitar, play it for bit almost everyday. Im fairly average, but that is all right with me. Not trying to turn in into a way to make a living or anything like that. And yeah, I play a Les Paul, because I seen guys like Slash and Jimmy Page play them and look fucking awesome. That and I never really liked Strats that much. Every Strat I have tried I hated, you gotta fight the damn things. 

Les Pauls were always my favorite. They look beautiful. That being said, my first good guitar was a strat. Got it on my 16th birthday almost 10 years ago because I decided I wanted a Fender over an Epiphone. I still play it a lot, great guitar.

I got my current Gibson Les Paul around 3 years ago, though, and it is by far my favorite electric. Just the ultimate rock guitar. I cant put it down!

13 minutes ago, tremolo said:

I loved X Japan, but grew out of them quickly. Blue Blood and Jealousy are great albums, but I was never very happy with the direction Yoshiki was taking the band. If it wasn't for hide's input, Dahlia would be a very boring and flat album.

No disrespect to him though, he's a great musician and composer, but I need more variety, otherwise I get bored.

I saw them in Toronto in 2010 (I think) and it was an amazing show. Too bad I never got to see the hide/Pata duo perform, but Sugizo is a great player and some of his guitars are worthy of a boner.

True, I've been waiting for a new release for a very long time. IV wasn't bad, but Jade and Scarlett didn't do it for me.

I get what you are saying. Their guitar work is what really drew me in, but I do think Yoshiki is a very talented composer and musician. I love a lot of Dahlia and Art of Life is my favorite work from them. Their new direction isn't as good as their classic stuff, and is kind of too commercial, but there is good stuff buried in there. I do really like Jade and it'd be nice to have this album out just to close that book.

But overall, they are one of my favorite bands. Very happy I got to see them and Sugizo did a good job live

24 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I get what you are saying. Their guitar work is what really drew me in, but I do think Yoshiki is a very talented composer and musician. I love a lot of Dahlia and Art of Life is my favorite work from them. Their new direction isn't as good as their classic stuff, and is kind of too commercial, but there is good stuff buried in there. I do really like Jade and it'd be nice to have this album out just to close that book.

But overall, they are one of my favorite bands. Very happy I got to see them and Sugizo did a good job live

Sugizo was beast over in London. I've said before about how my guitar shop is a decent tribute to Izzy, my fiancée is a vocal coach in the other room next to this and there is a really cool poster of hide on the wall. 

• Like 1

I'm a proud Les Paul player. When I had discovered GN'R and started watching their live videos I saw the way Slash really connected with the music and with his guitar and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. 

As for tone, I like to keep it similar to a late 60s/early to mid 70s tone. I like to play in the style of Slash but most of the time I try to have some individuality in my playing style 

I mean I'm a bedroom musician who puts demos and stuff online sometimes, and I started playing guitar cause of my admiration for GNR that I had as a kid, but my music and style of playing sounds nothing like GNR. I gravitated a lot more towards alternative bands as I got older.

9 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I mean I'm a bedroom musician who puts demos and stuff online sometimes, and I started playing guitar cause of my admiration for GNR that I had as a kid, but my music and style of playing sounds nothing like GNR. I gravitated a lot more towards alternative bands as I got older.

Interesting to know, people, myself included count Cross Eyed Mary as an alternative band yet 3 of us are major Guns heads. We're in Belfast, Northern Ireland in the UK and our bass player flew to California for Coachella and our guitarist flew out for both nights in Vegas. I put it down to we're taking some ingredients but cooking an entirely different meal. 

Edited by Izzymacbeth

5 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Go for it, prepare to be broke for the longest time but it's worth it. I started repairing and teaching guitar as well as gigging and recording just so that even when I did have to 'work' I was surrounded by guitars and music. Best of luck! 

Thank you for the support! :)

The ones that usually check the Wacky thread must be already tired of my story but yeah, I fell in love with Izzy Stradlin's coolness when I was 11 and the rest is history. I'm pretty much a bedroom player (love the therm! :lol:) and I mostly play rhythm, first because i love it and second because I'm too shy to play lead. My electric guitar is a "nobodyknowsthatbrand" one, and the acoustic died a couple of weeks ago and I'm broke af to fix it or get a new one right now. The only decent gear I have is a Fender amp that i'm borrowing from an ex, but, as long as I can keep playing I'm happy.

On 2017-04-21 at 5:43 PM, ZoSoRose said:

Oh boy good call with hide (and Pata). One of the best guitar duos in rock history.

I saw X Japan in 2010. So happy I got to see them, one of the best gigs ever. Too bad the new albums become a Chinese Democracy situation

We need to make that into a usable verb!

"Man, it's sad that X Japan's new album got Chinese Democracyd" :lol:

• Like 1

My brother taught himself to play drums by listening to AFD over and over again. One day we were able to recognize WTTJ. He also met Steven Adler about ten years ago when he came through Dallas. He got a picture and he signed the AFD cd. It was a highlight for him meeting Steven.

I've listened to GNR all my life. My mom got their cds and with MTV watched their videos. We learned to love them because of her. Now we go to concerts together and seeing Axl, with Slash and Duff last year was just awesome.

I taught myself to play guitar in large part by jamming with UYI I&II. I wouldn't say any of my musical projects sound  like GN'R, so it wasn't an influence in that sense. On a deeper level though, my tone, phrasing, vibe,etc-these were definitely heavily colored by playing to those albums.

I sing like axl but it started cause of AC/DC but i identify with his pronunciation and intervals and almost everything... i also play guitar and my dynamics are VERY slash-like imo but i never use the exact same runs or scales, but I love his right hand control and bends. Country playing is near and dear to my heart from skynyrd growing up, so i play more like that, but I love that very underrated part of slash's game, which is how fuckin southern rock he can sound.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6mt5ynreuvxtv7/thunderstruck cover.wav?dl=0 (my cover of thunderstruck, shows the axl influence lol)

oh and if anybody wants guitar/vox for a houseband thing, i am SO down and have all the proper recording gear 

Edited by Cory Trevor
  • Like 1

me. i'm a guitar player but i also compose the drum parts for the songs. Track #2 & #3 were inspired by adler's drum parts on my michelle, the cymbals and snare hits give his parts such a recognizable presence... 

you can listen to my latest album on spotify in the link below... tell me what you think fellow gunners...
https://t.co/WrhLNo9n1G