Roger Waters ‘Is This the Life We Really Want?’

Silent Jay

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

UPDATE:

Still haven't caved and listened to Déjà Vu yet. This is nothing short of a miracle for me.

"Its a Miracle, Another Miracle" 

I got that beautiful song laying in my head now.  

And, the is very impressive.  I would definelty have caved by now!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soon said:

"Its a Miracle, Another Miracle" 

I got that beautiful song laying in my head now.  

And, the is very impressive.  I would definelty have caved by now!

"By the grace of God almighty, and the pressures of the market place, the human race has civilized itself. It's a miracle"

I got it stuck in my head right after I made that post too :lol:

• Like 1

On 5/12/2017 at 6:53 AM, RussTCB said:

UPDATE:

Still haven't caved and listened to Déjà Vu yet. This is nothing short of a miracle for me.

Not listening to anything else til it drops and my sweet. sweet vinyl gets here. :)

• Like 1

This was the piece of music from the first short teaser I think.  Neat nod to the drum sound and pattern from Bowies Five Years.

Song wise its really pretty cool.  The closing imagery seems very likely to be a reference to the late Alan Kurdi* and is, imo, ham-fisted in the way that I feared about this project.

If Im always the downer, all I can say is:  so is Roger! :) 

*and many like him, on shore, or never found

Edited by soon

14 minutes ago, smoke said:

Not listening to anything else til it drops and my sweet. sweet vinyl gets here. :)

Nice!

I do a TON of traveling these days and I literally made my travel arrangements so that I can assure I'll be home on June 2. I want to be able to spin that bad boy straight through as soon as I'm out of work for the day.

1 minute ago, soon said:

This was the piece of music from the first short teaser I think.  Neat nod to the drum sound and pattern from Bowies Five Years.

Song wise its really pretty cool.  The closing imagery seems very likely to be a reference to the late Alan Kurdi* and is, imo, ham-fisted in the way that I feared about this project.

If Im always the downer, all I can say is:  so is Roger! :) 

*and hundreds like him

After you and I mentioned It's A Miracle a couple weeks back, I was dying to listen to it on vinyl again. When I started my weekly spin last week, my poor niece was unfortunate enough to be the first one there and had to sit through It's A Miracle and ATD back to back because I just had to hear them. I told her "This guy is such a downer, but that's where your uncle gets a lot of it from!" lol

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

After you and I mentioned It's A Miracle a couple weeks back, I was dying to listen to it on vinyl again. When I started my weekly spin last week, my poor niece was unfortunate enough to be the first one there and had to sit through It's A Miracle and ATD back to back because I just had to hear them. I told her "This guy is such a downer, but that's where your uncle gets a lot of it from!" lol

lol!  I guess lots of us drawn to Roger have to have a bit of downer in us!

I gotta get that on vinyl!

And about Its a Miracle, I know that Flea played on an early version of the song and it was supposedly up beat.  Anyone know if thats ever been released or leaked? Fleas played on some depressing music to be sure, but an up beat version with Flea has to be somewhat less of a downer?  The album version is a absolute favourite track, but Id be interested to hear the flea version too.

9 hours ago, username said:

Nothing new. Sadly. Happened on Southampton Dock and The Final Cut on his 2006/2007 DSOTM tour as well. I still really enjoyed those shows though. 

I've heard of that happening before as well. Most people said that the entire Wall tour was pre-recorded vocals too.

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I've heard of that happening before as well. Most people said that the entire Wall tour was pre-recorded vocals too.

Oh, no way?  I never knew that.  I did think that the Wall tour were some of the best vocals of his career and just chalked that up to experience, focus and maturity.  

the following may or may not be considered a minor spoiler for new album:

Spoiler

So, given how much I enjoyed his vocals on wall tour, I was surprised that the new songs had a more restrained, ATD approach.  I figured it was because he wants to be able to sing them for years to come and therefore didnt push himself to the wall tour levels.  But, an album is by definition prerecorded vocals so I guess this doesnt shed light on anything, hahaha

7 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Album is out there if you know what I mean. I'm listening to it cause I'm a dick and I can't wait 2 more days 

I figured it would be on the torrents by now, yet I remain strong! I've still only listened to Smell The Roses and won't hear the rest until I spin the vinyl in it's entirety this Friday.

Aftermy first listen...

Spoiler

on a scale of one to ten, where 10 is Amused to Death...

Spoiler
Spoiler

I thought the production was excellent, well produced... 

Songs were a bit meh, very mellow, very 'humanitarian', lyrics didn't help, some were very corny. Lot of synths and acoustic ballads, not a lot of electric guitars. 

Best tracks: 

• Smell The Roses
  • Picture That
  • Deja Vu

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Aftermy first listen...

Hide contents

on a scale of one to ten, where 10 is Amused to Death...

Hide contents
  Reveal hidden contents

I thought the production was excellent, well produced... 

Songs were a bit meh, very mellow, very 'humanitarian', lyrics didn't help, some were very corny. Lot of synths and acoustic ballads, not a lot of electric guitars. 

Best tracks: 

• Smell The Roses
  • Picture That
  • Deja Vu

Wow. I'm surprised your score is so low compared to AFD. I'm curious; are you a fan of Animals? I ask because everyone else that's heard it is saying if you love Animals (which I do), you'll love this.

15 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Wow. I'm surprised your score is so low compared to AFD. I'm curious; are you a fan of Animals? I ask because everyone else that's heard it is saying if you love Animals (which I do), you'll love this.

I thought you wouldn't read spoilers lol

Well initially I thought that I was a bit harsh, but now I'm thinking this rank is not that bad. It's a good album nonetheless, and it's a new Roger Waters album.

And also I've got to say that I don't mind his views on politics, I like Waters no matter what, so it's not a left-right thing :) But I'd probably rank it 0.5 higher if I was a guy from the left.

Spoiler

About the album... Animals is great, not in my top five though. If you were referencing about Pigs on the Wing, I just think that the acoustic ballads on ITTLWRW sounded too much alike, and I didn't really think they were great. The first half is certainely a lot stronger than the second half.

Edited by Silent Jay

17 hours ago, RussTCB said:

This album needs waaaaay more guitars to be like Animals 

4 minutes ago, smoke said:

Spinning it now... was delivered 20 minutes ago.

4 minutes ago, smoke said:

Spinning it now... was delivered 20 minutes ago.

Not sure how I quoted you twice lol

In any case, I'm listening to side 1 right now myself.