• 6. “Is This the Life We Really Want?”
  • 7. “Bird in a Gale”
  • 8. “The Most Beautiful Girl”
  • 9. “Smell the Roses”
  • 10. “Wait for Her”
  • 11. “Oceans Apart”
  • 12. “Part of Me Died”

18034156_1393091364067998_30569242574107

Pink Floyd co-founder Roger Waters has announced that his first record in quarter of a century will be released on June 2 via Columbia Records under the title of "Is This The Life We Really Want?"

Produced by Radiohead's Nigel Godrich, the record will feature 12 fresh tracks from Mr. Waters.

Apart from Roger on vocals, acoustic and bass guitar and Nigel on keyboards and guitar, the album features Gus Seyffert (bass, guitar, keyboards), Jonathan Wilson (guitar, keyboards), Joey Waronker (drums), Roger Manning (keyboards), Lee Pardini (keyboards), and Lucius (vocals) with Jessica Wolfe and Holly Proctor.

Pre-order: http://smarturl.it/RogerWaters?IQid=rosesaudio

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:
  • 1. “When We Were Young”
  • 2. “Déjà Vu”
  • 3. “The Last Refugee”
  • 4. “Picture That”
  • 5. “Broken Bones”
  • 6. “Is This the Life We Really Want?”
  • 7. “Bird in a Gale”
  • 8. “The Most Beautiful Girl”
  • 9. “Smell the Roses”
  • 10. “Wait for Her”
  • 11. “Oceans Apart”
  • 12. “Part of Me Died”

Can't fucking wait for this! Welcome back, sir! :shades:

• Like 1

So the many musical self references are pretty blatant. (have a cigar, time, echoes funk section, dogs, money, ballad of bill hubbard).  But I guess Floyd was already doing that when they were still a vital force - as early as 71 I believe.  And they've all always done it since in the band or solo.  But it feels a bit tired IMO.

And all the various keys and synths are signature Rick Wright - who Waters ousted from Floyd.  Who Waters bullied and despised.

I was excited at the prospect of new work after the Wall tour, but as the days come closer Ive felt an apprehension grow.  

I love Pink Floyd.  Because of this I have followed Waters solo career. Of the three studio LPs released so far Amused To Death is the only one that I can go back to regularly - and that has a lot to do with Jeff Becks playing.  And yet Im still a Waters fan and loved the Wall tour.  Saw it twice and watched tour movie at theatre.  For me its a very poignant artistic exploration of war, division and greed.  I find it very incisive and am therefore often surprised by the earnest lyrics of the songs that have trickled out over the years since ATD and by his interview style.  I am not opposed to any of the political statements he makes in the press but I do feel he often sounds like an arrogant goon when he's making them.

When he announced the concept was "why do we kill the children" I must admit that as important a question as this is, I was bemused.  Meanwhile he's selling the Wall box set - which deals with theme of poverty and dispossession - for $500 each.  And then he's got his "will our children have crystal clear water" song recently.  Again, important.  Again, is this the person for the job?

I feel dirty saying all this!  I love his work - especially in Pink Floyd!  The artistic process that produced the various iterations of the Wall must be so thorough, same with albums like Dark Side.  But its been stated many times over how he needed a lot of help and editing this time.  And did you know that he actually just improvised most lyrics on ATD?  They're not brilliant.  

But his music has been with me through life.

After a period of upheaval and rioting where all my housemates were arrested or dispersed, I would sit in an empty house in the dark drinking red wine and playing The Final Cut on the record player over and over.  Goofy as it is to admit, his vision gave hope. It was healing. This guys given me so much.  But I am scared this album is gonna be silly.  Hope Im wrong. 

Edited by soon

3 hours ago, soon said:

So the many musical self references are pretty blatant. (have a cigar, time, echoes funk section, dogs, money, ballad of bill hubbard).  But I guess Floyd was already doing that when they were still a vital force - as early as 71 I believe.  And they've all always done it since in the band or solo.  But it feels a bit tired IMO.

And all the various keys and synths are signature Rick Wright - who Waters ousted from Floyd.  Who Waters bullied and despised.

I was excited at the prospect of new work after the Wall tour, but as the days come closer Ive felt an apprehension grow.  

I love Pink Floyd.  Because of this I have followed Waters solo career. Of the three studio LPs released so far Amused To Death is the only one that I can go back to regularly - and that has a lot to do with Jeff Becks playing.  And yet Im still a Waters fan and loved the Wall tour.  Saw it twice and watched tour movie at theatre.  For me its a very poignant artistic exploration of war, division and greed.  I find it very incisive and am therefore often surprised by the earnest lyrics of the songs that have trickled out over the years since ATD and by his interview style.  I am not opposed to any of the political statements he makes in the press but I do feel he often sounds like an arrogant goon when he's making them.

When he announced the concept was "why do we kill the children" I must admit that as important a question as this is, I was bemused.  Meanwhile he's selling the Wall box set - which deals with theme of poverty and dispossession - for $500 each.  And then he's got his "will our children have crystal clear water" song recently.  Again, important.  Again, is this the person for the job?

I feel dirty saying all this!  I love his work - especially in Pink Floyd!  The artistic process that produced the various iterations of the Wall must be so thorough, same with albums like Dark Side.  But its been stated many times over how he needed a lot of help and editing this time.  And did you know that he actually just improvised most lyrics on ATD?  They're not brilliant.  

But his music has been with me through life.

After a period of upheaval and rioting where all my housemates were arrested or dispersed, I would sit in an empty house in the dark drinking red wine and playing The Final Cut on the record player over and over.  Goofy as it is to admit, his vision gave hope. It was healing. This guys given me so much.  But I am scared this album is gonna be silly.  Hope Im wrong. 

I wouldn't be that concerned to hear it tbh, mate, it's pretty obvious it's gonna his swansong and I just don't think he'd bother releasing anything else at this stage if he didn't think it was up to scratch. I get your point how some people can think he comes across as a bit of a tosser though, he doesn't exactly seem like a laugh a minute kind of bloke, :lol: but what can you do? I can't believe it's been 25 years since Amused To Death, time flies. As I said, I'm really looking forward to hearing this and the track posted sounds very promising indeed.

45 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

I wouldn't be that concerned to hear it tbh, mate, it's pretty obvious it's gonna his swansong and I just don't think he'd bother releasing anything else at this stage if he didn't think it was up to scratch. I get your point how some people can think he comes across as a bit of a tosser though, he doesn't exactly seem like a laugh a minute kind of bloke, :lol: but what can you do? I can't believe it's been 25 years since Amused To Death, time flies. As I said, I'm really looking forward to hearing this and the track posted sounds very promising indeed.

Thats a good point about it being his swan song.  I hadn't thought about it from that angle - that he wouldn't put something out unless he and Goodrich felt it was strong because he doesnt need to and its his last chance.  I think Smell the Roses is good.  Havent completely absorbed the lyrics but they dont stand out as cheesy.  Of course my apprehension is creeping back in because he also booked an arena tour to support Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking. He did the full on Wall style production too. I listen to pros and cons once in a blue moon since Im a fan but I also once used it to chase off an unwanted housemate.

I cant believe it about Amused either!  You probably know about how, being let down with the response to his solo career to that point, he issued a statement/challenge that he wouldn't tour the album until it sold 2 million copies.  And, he did wait from its 92 release date until 99 to tour.  It finally went double platinum and he promptly began touring!! :lol:  And thats when he began being billed as "Roger Waters, Pink Floyd Creative Genius."   That show was my first big rock show. It was awesome!

I could see him causing some controversy while on the road too.  With Axl behaving himself it'll be nice to have some action.

Edited by soon

6 minutes ago, soon said:

"Roger Waters, Pink Floyd Creative Genius."

^^^ :lol: That's quality! Rog has definitely got a rather large ego! I've never seen him live but my mate who lives and works in Canada saw him over there a few years back and said he was excellent. I guess the way I'm looking at this is as a bonus more than anything because I'd long since given up on him releasing anything else, when I first heard he was working on it I was surprised. I'm probably also drawing from the fact that Chinese Democracy didn't disappoint me after such a long gestation period, and My Bloody Valentine released their latest album after a 20+ year gap (again, I'd given up :lol:) and it was fantastic. Fingers crossed for this.

I am wildly excited for this album. 

Some background on my Pink Floyd tastes which many, MANY people tend to disagree with:

aMLoR & Piper are my least favorite albums with The Wall, Animals & WYWH being my favorites and everything else falling between those and the bottom 2. Don't care much for anyone's solo output except for Roger's to be honest. I do like a lot of songs from Syd's solo work though, come to think of it. I view Amused To Death as a Pink Floyd album and rank it in my Top 3. Radio KAOS has grown on me heavily over the years to the point where I love it now. I don't think I'll ever get on board with Pro's & Con's though.

I saw Floyd two nights in a row on The Division Bell Tour. The second night was the first time they performed DSotM in 19 years and I was in 4th row center for it. I've seen Roger on every tour since In The Flesh '99 including seeing The Wall Live twice. I was in front row center for the first one and got to meet him and get an autograph hours before the second one. I saw Dave last year in Chicago and plan on seeing Roger again this fall. 

Having said all of that, I've only listened to Smell The Roses thus far and don't plan on listening to anything else. I want to bring the LP home on release day and listen to it straight through on vinyl. I got to do that with The Endless River and it was awesome. Seeing as this will probably be Roger's last studio album, I very much want to do the same thing.

Smell The Roses sounds to me like the WYWH & Animals albums got in a car accident and Smell The Roses is what was laying all over the road. Read: I like it a lot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I am wildly excited for this album.

Me too.

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Smell The Roses sounds to me like the WYWH & Animals albums got in a car accident and Smell The Roses is what was laying all over the road. Read: I like it a lot.

:lol:

I sort of wish Radiohead weren't shit so I'd have my own version of Floyd because I like the tunes but I don't really understand them. Mogwai Is a band I understand, I get it's like the aliens are landing. Not sure with PF. Maybe they just aren't drinking music. I just end up asleep. 

1 hour ago, bucketfoot said:

I fucking HATE them. Dreadful, dreadful band. :vomit:

I don't mind some songs. Sonically. Maybe even lyrically. Guitars can be great. But vocally there's something I can't take. 

But in a way the whole Warp records thing, I'm not sure it fits with the RATM type lyrics. "Comedown music should not be suicide music." Believe me. 

Edited by wasted

Everyones posts have been helping me be more excited/as exceed as I should be about the album.  Thanks!

I dont wanna give spoilers for those abstaining, but in Deja Vu that is some classic Waters ego, saying he'd be a better God then God!!

Hope I'll get to see Rog and his band of Millennials this tour

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

Everyones posts have been helping me be more excited/as exceed as I should be about the album.  Thanks!

I dont wanna give spoilers for those abstaining, but in Deja Vu that is some classic Waters ego, saying he'd be a better God then God!!

Hope I'll get to see Rog and his band of Millennials this tour

I have people over almost every Friday to spin records and someone asked me if we're having a "Roger Waters Party" on 06/02. I replied "Yes, it's a costume party. You have to come dressed in your biggest ego" :lol:

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

I have people over almost every Friday to spin records and someone asked me if we're having a "Roger Waters Party" on 06/02. I replied "Yes, it's a costume party. You have to come dressed in your biggest ego" :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:  

Perfect!

but we love him anyways  :lol:

• Like 1

On 8-5-2017 at 4:27 PM, RussTCB said:

Seeing as this will probably be Roger's last studio album

Didn't he admit to working on 2 different albums recently? Both different in style and subject? One was more of a rock style album and the other more of a Floyd style I think. Or maybe he's merged them together by now. But I think he was working on several albums. So I have good hoped, even at Rog's glacial speed. ;) 

1 hour ago, username said:

Didn't he admit to working on 2 different albums recently? Both different in style and subject? One was more of a rock style album and the other more of a Floyd style I think. Or maybe he's merged them together by now. But I think he was working on several albums. So I have good hoped, even at Rog's glacial speed. ;) 

Roger has said he's working on so much since ATD came out and this is the only thing to come of it so far. I'd love to hear more but I'm treating this as if it's the last just in case.