UY Tour - Best Period.

UY Tour - Best period.  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I vote for the second one. No Izzy but great setlists, huge crowds and Axl voice way better than in the first period. (Also in the first one even having the greatest setlists the band sounded a bit rusty and Slash even had some awful shows ). The third period Axl sang great but the setlists became previsible and he seemed to be bored most of the times. Skin & Bones was close but the shows were too short and too acoustic for me. 

Edited by vicson

19 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Metallica makes everything better. That tour was a dream come true.

True, but classic era Guns was the weakest they've ever been that year. Metallica blew them off the stage.

1991 GnR w/Izzy still had the swagger of the AFD era.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 2

i chose 91 it was the only time i saw Dust n Bones live. 

92 was good but i didn't like the Tracy/Roberta and horn stuff way too overblown and polished

93 I loved this as much as 91, I really liked the acoustic section,Izzy was there, plus they had the best support bands- Cult,Blind Melon and Soul Asylum

I think i should have voted 93 :P

• Like 1

1993 for sure.. Best concert I have ever attended in my life and I have seen hundreds of shows.. They didn't have Izzy but the band was in top form and never tighter in my opinion.. They were stripped back down to a six piece..  Dizzy and Gilby's backing vocals allowed them to do that. They also helped make the acoustic sets so great.  Axl didn't change his outfits every two songs or at all.. The really switched up the set lists with songs like Nice Boys, Reckless Life, Dead Horse, You Ain't The First, Dead Flowers and The Garden..  The Jams before Double Talkin Jive took on a new life... But again most of all, the band was just fucking tight..

• Like 2

'92 actually shouldn't be split into 2 voting section, as the show pretty much was the same thing over the year, until of course Metallica factors into liking the period, which it really shouldn't as they have nothing to do with GNRs show. I chose the early '92 section though. Of course there is something said for '93 too, but only because it brought a somewhat new show and wasn't a repeat of the '92 show.

5 hours ago, RONIN said:

True, but classic era Guns was the weakest they've ever been that year. Metallica blew them off the stage.

1991 GnR w/Izzy still had the swagger of the AFD era.

Oh yes, we get it. They were only good with Izzy. *yawn* Which is BS, really.

@PatrickS77 I agree the Izzy talk gets tiresome, but I have to agree with @RONIN. The 1991 shows with Izzy were the best leg of the tour, the whole band were hit and miss (for different reasons) but the energy of that leg, the setlists, spontaneity... the vibe of that tour beats the vibe of the '93 shows and definitely the '92 shows IMO.

I saw both the 91 lineup with Izzy still in, and 92 with Gilby & Metallica. The 91 show with Skid Row opening was just electric the whole night. They were playing UYI songs but the album wasn't out yet. Axl was just on an absolute fuckin mission, and the crowd fed off that. Great great show (Saratoga NY). 

The show with Metallica was awesome, but it was different. It was the spectacle of the thing, because nobody could believe we were seeing them together. But it was too much really. The massive grandiose production just felt kinda wrong after a Metallica set.

I didn't see the Skin n Bones though, so I won't say for sure 91 (with Izzy) was better than that. Only that 91 was for sure better than 92 imo.

56 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

1993 for sure.. Best concert I have ever attended in my life and I have seen hundreds of shows.. They didn't have Izzy but the band was in top form and never tighter in my opinion.. They were stripped back down to a six piece..  Dizzy and Gilby's backing vocals allowed them to do that. They also helped make the acoustic sets so great.  Axl didn't change his outfits every two songs or at all.. The really switched up the set lists with songs like Nice Boys, Reckless Life, Dead Horse, You Ain't The First, Dead Flowers and The Garden..  The Jams before Double Talkin Jive took on a new life... But again most of all, the band was just fucking tight..

Yesos, in ARGENTINA was great

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

Oh yes, we get it. They were only good with Izzy. *yawn* Which is BS, really.

I didn't choose '91 on the poll for Izzy - the guy looks like a zombie in most of the bootlegs from 91. But the energy of Axl and Slash is just explosive. Just look at that perfect crime performance (!).

I wasn't there for any of these shows but from the bootlegs, I sort of get what @Fitha_whiskey is talking about. 

56 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

@PatrickS77 I agree the Izzy talk gets tiresome, but I have to agree with @RONIN. The 1991 shows with Izzy were the best leg of the tour, the whole band were hit and miss (for different reasons) but the energy of that leg, the setlists, spontaneity... the vibe of that tour beats the vibe of the '93 shows and definitely the '92 shows IMO.

Exactly -- there is so much energy put into those songs. I think the '91 shows had more UYI deep cuts played as well compared to 92 and 93 which gives them an extra edge for me.

It seems like his voice was better in '93 though. Axl's '91 voice is very raw - which only adds to the grittiness of those shows.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Exactly -- there is so much energy put into those songs. I think the '91 shows had more UYI deep cuts played as well compared to 92 and 93 which gives them an extra edge for me.

It seems like his voice was better in '93 though. Axl's '91 voice is very raw - which only adds to the grittiness of those shows.

Yea, they were all over the place with the setlists - Coma, Locomotive, Dead Horse, You're Crazy, even Bad Apples once or twice. Awesome stuff.

Axl's voice was really hit or miss in '91 but when he was on, he was the fiercest sounding motherfucker on the planet. His voice by '93 was more consistent but to me has always sounded much "thinner" than the years before it. Still great, but '91 was better to my ears.

• Like 1

I love 93 since ive also attended one show in that year. The stripped down shows were cool. But the setlist was more stable that year than in the previous years. And the band in retrospective seemed more dead than before.

i love the 92 shows. They were huge and the shows were longer than in 93. axl was wearing cool clothes. And the songs   Sounded better than in 91, in my opinion

Edited by xBrownstonex