GNR in yearbook wins/popularity

My brothers 96' yearbook had them 2nd behind Aerosmith. As has been said numerous times, GNR could've, should've been the next Rolling Stones. They had it all, but then again, who knows. I always thought of Mike Tyson kinda like guns, a total beast that was untouchable in his prime, unfortunately he didn't know when to call it quits. History hasn't been too kind to him. With guns they could've continued and put out a few shitty albums and it would've been all over. I think they'll always be remembered for what they were, what could've been. That's better than sticking around too long. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

My brothers 96' yearbook had them 2nd behind Aerosmith. As has been said numerous times, GNR could've, should've been the next Rolling Stones. They had it all, but then again, who knows. I always thought of Mike Tyson kinda like guns, a total beast that was untouchable in his prime, unfortunately he didn't know when to call it quits. History hasn't been too kind to him. With guns they could've continued and put out a few shitty albums and it would've been all over. I think they'll always be remembered for what they were, what could've been. That's better than sticking around too long. 

I think with Tyson - he's judged harshly because he came out like a tornado and then just inexplicably crumbled during what should have been his prime. The circumstances weren't in his favor and the momentum was stolen by his jail stint and losing Cus D'Amato but Tyson should have had a much greater legacy than he ended up with.

Same deal with GnR. They did put out "shitty" albums in Spaghetti Incident and arguably Chinese Democracy. I think had they just kept going, they would have continued to have been a huge band like U2. Would they have that legendary mystique that they have now? No. GnR, Nirvana, The Doors, etc all have this aura and mystique about them due to their implosion at the height of their fame. Their muddled history makes them inherently more interesting than longer lived bands.

Edited by RONIN

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

I think with Tyson - he's judged harshly because he came out like a tornado and then just inexplicably crumbled during what should have been his prime. The circumstances weren't in his favor and the momentum was stolen by his jail stint and losing Cus D'Amato but Tyson should have had a much greater legacy than he ended up with.

Same deal with GnR. They did put out "shitty" albums in Spaghetti Incident and arguably Chinese Democracy. I think had they just kept going, they would have continued to have been a huge band like U2. Would they have that legendary mystique that they have now? No. GnR, Nirvana, The Doors, etc all have this aura and mystique about them due to their implosion at the height of their fame. Their muddled history makes them inherently more interesting than longer lived bands.

Very true

11 hours ago, RONIN said:

One could even make the argument that the illusion records were shitty too just cause of how bloated they both were.

I was in high school in late nineties.  I was teased for being a GnR fan by any rock fans. It was enough that I eventually stopped wearing my tight jeans and aviators :) 

I always suspected people just thought it was cool to shit talk GnR though.  I mean how could they be so huge if no one in my school liked them?  

Same people embraced VR.  To be fair STP was huge in my area, but still I think people wanted some of that Guns vibe.  

OT: I went to my NITL show with a friend who wore a "team axl" shirt that she'd made.  However she hadn't listened to CD.  Kinda like the perception it was cool to slag GNR, it was like this huge Axl fan was convinced to hate on Axl's album.