Best Bands of the 2010s

Silent Jay

so far.

Only one rule, debut album (or EP) and follow ups have to be released this decade. I'm having a hard time to pick five new bands. It seems there is almost zero unique identity to the 2010s. It’s a rehash of the 90s and early 00s!

Edited by Silent Jay

This was a little hard to find bands that started releasing in this decade, but here are the ones I thought of.

First Aid Kit - My personal favorite, they just hit the right spot. 

Chvrches - "Mother We Share" grabbed me right away, fell in love with their albums after that.

Kendrick Lamar - I can't seem to get into him, but really try and understand why he gets all the props.  Just not something I ever think to put on.

Lumineers - solid group

Alabama Shakes - hope to see them live sometime.  Fantastic sound.

some close calls that unfortunately had 2009 releases: Fun. Florence + The Machine, Twentyone Pilots (didn't realize they were so old...)

Edited by merslain

That's a tough call with respect to debut albums since 2010.  It seems like there are fewer and fewer bands that are worth listening to.  Here are thew few bands I'd enjoyed in the last seven years.

1. Nathaniel Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats - Self Titled Album - easily my favourite album from the last seven years; only one, maybe two songs from the album I skip.

2. AWOLNation - Megalithic Symphony (2011, debut) and Run (2015) - Anyone who loves Axl's screechy/raspy vocals should love Aaron Bruno's vocal chops.  A little more on the poppy side, but they know how to write great melodies and put on fantastic shows.  The last third of the song "Knights of Shame" is something that could easily have been put out by Axl; skip the hip-hop middle and get ready for some gold (starts at 7:45).    

3. The xxxx - bending the rules as this album was released in 2009.  With so few new bands in the last seven years that have broken through, had to cheat a bit with the timeline.  Definitely not for everyone, but a trip album with a minimalist sound but somehow full of hooks.   

4. Future IslandsSingles - not their debut album, but the album that brought them to prominence in 2014.  The lead off song "Seasons" is a classic with a great groove and bassline.  The album starts off strong but you can tell they kind of run out of ideas with the second half of the album.

5. Fun -  Some Nights - again, technically not their debut album, but had two monster singles and generally is an alright album from a band that can write a hit or two.  

I would have included Vampire Weekend's self-titled debut album but it came out in 2008, so thought that would be pushing it.  

Also would include Volbeat but they've been around for awhile.  Didn't know of them until 2011, a year after the the album Beyond Hell/Above Heaven album was released.  

• Like 3

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats- Blood Lust (2011) fucking incredible album and the follow up Mind Control (2013) is very good as well.

DMA's- Hill's End (2016). Check out the tracks Too Soon and Play it Out.

The only two that i can really think of that i like.

Edited by Silverburst80

56 minutes ago, merslain said:

Kendrick Lamar - I can't seem to get into him, but really try and understand why he gets all the props.  Just not something I ever think to put on.

'Bands' not solo artists. Thanks.

- Also, that could be so called 'supergroup' like The Winery Dogs.

Edited by Silent Jay

57 minutes ago, merslain said:

This was a little hard to find bands that started releasing in this decade, but here are the ones I thought of.

First Aid Kit - My personal favorite, they just hit the right spot. 

Chvrches - "Mother We Share" grabbed me right away, fell in love with their albums after that.

Lumineers - solid group

Alabama Shakes - hope to see them live sometime.  Fantastic sound.

some close calls that unfortunately had 2009 releases: Fun. Florence + The Machine, Twentyone Pilots (didn't realize they were so old...)

Alabama Shakes, now there's an interesting name!  I heard Iggy (heard of em in other places to to be fair) going on about The Sleaford Mods, might have to check them out too though they might be older than the parameters here.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

... Crobot are some of my favs

It sounds like something from The Answer or Rival Sons which was formed in 2009 by the way. I think they're decent but extremely limited all these 70s groove bands have become a little phony.

-I know that Metallica is touring Europe this year with a new 'hype' metal band called Kvelertak. You have to give credits to M. for all the things they've done in the past fifteen years to give the opportunity for bands like Mastodon or Lamb Of God to prove themselves and be relevant in the music scene right now.

Edited by Silent Jay

3 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

It sounds like something from The Answer or Rival Sons which was formed in 2009 by the way. I think they're decent but extremely limited all these 70s groove bands have become a little phony.

Yeah, but I think they are better than those bands. They aren't reinventing the wheel but I like them a lot.

Royal Blood is far and away my favorite new band, though

Imagine Dragons. Not my thing but a lot of people like them.

Graveyard. I think their indy label debut was like 08, but major label debut and success was after '10. I dig them, they're ok. Kinda distinct sound. I like em when they're straight ahead bluesy hard rock.

Blackberry Smoke. Cheating again, indy debut in like 08, everything else was after '10. Throwback to the 70s, Skynyrd, country-ish type of band. They are what they are and if you like that sorta thing they're not bad. Built themselves up a pretty loyal fan base to say they aren't hot or itunes darlings.

Thats all I got and 2 of them sorta don't count and I don't even like the other one :lol:

I'd probably throw in Ghost and Nathaniel Rateliff to make 5.

• Like 1

I'll disregard the rule and go from 00 to now.

Winery Dogs, Black Country Communion, Neal Morse Band, Pretty Reckless, Paramore

Also digging Against The Current, PVRIS, Dead Daisies, Blues Pills, Heaven's Basement, Slash MK &C, Flying Colors, Babymetal.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

The only 2 bands I can think of off the top of my head are The Lumineers and Bastille .A band who I think discography is very impressive and came out post 2000 and who are incredible live is Rise Against .I haven't seen them mentioned on here at all but if they're in town and your debating whether or not to go ,go.They are about to release a new album in June and tour dates have already been annnounced 

• Like 1