Who would you like to see produce the next GN'R record?

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

A lot of people are saying Clink but a lot of people had issues with the sound of UYI :question:

But were the issues about the actual sound on UYI? I always felt like the big issue was the over the top extra stuff added in. That's more on Axl and the band than Clink. This is the same guy that produced AFD. I think the actual sound of UYI is fine for the most part. Izzy said that thing about hearing nothing but Slash coming out the speaker, but I feel that's a bit exaggerated.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I strongly believe there will be an AC/DC album sooner than Guns (mostly because Angus actually likes to release music :lol:), so there's a good opportunity for Axl to try out Brendan O'Brien!

Ha. Would still strongly favor Clink or Caram though. Would hate after 3 years to get a quote like "We really appreciate Brendan's contributions- and though he's done a great job capturing AC/DC in the past- we have ultimately decided he's not the best for Guns...".:facepalm:

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, J Dog said:

But were the issues about the actual sound on UYI? I always felt like the big issue was the over the top extra stuff added in. That's more on Axl and the band than Clink. This is the same guy that produced AFD. I think the actual sound of UYI is fine for the most part. Izzy said that thing about hearing nothing but Slash coming out the speaker, but I feel that's a bit exaggerated.

It's that overproduction stuff but also the way the instruments sound and vocals. The drums sound like shit on UYI. The Izzy riffage is muted on UYI and only Slash knows what the deal there is -- whether Izzy actually never showed up to the sessions or if him and Clink just decided to bury Iz in the mix. 

I'm all for Clink but people bitch all the time here about the way those albums sound. He's the only guy who has gotten Axl to turn in work willingly.

19 hours ago, BreakDown2014 said:

Anyone but Axl Rose

THIS. QUOTED FOR TEAM BRAZIL. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD KEEP HIM AWAY.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RONIN said:

It's that overproduction stuff but also the way the instruments sound and vocals. The drums sound like shit on UYI. The Izzy riffage is muted on UYI and only Slash knows what the deal there is -- whether Izzy actually never showed up to the sessions or if him and Clink just decided to bury Iz in the mix. 

I'm all for Clink but people bitch all the time here about the way those albums sound. He's the only guy who has gotten Axl to turn in work willingly.

Yeah the drums were iffy I'm with you there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

Agreed.  

I wonder if it may have some to do with what Clink was presented with by the band?   

With Axl being into things like doubling his vocals an octave lower and breathing sexy.  Slash changing his tone a lot for Illusions by using an equalizer pedal; it boosts so much that it just takes up so much space/frequencies in the mix.  And piano and guitar fight for frequencies as well - especially when its a metal guitar tone and honky tonk style piano.  So an engineer has to figure out how to handle Slashs huge tone, and still carve out pockets in the mix for piano and breathy, whispered vocal ad libs. And Duff maybe used his chorus pedal a bit too much.

Edit: just realized this is maybe what @J Dog was already speaking too   

Edited by soon
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

We can talk a lot about this but there is only one guy that would do this and it's Rick Rubin. It's gonna be overproduced, one big hit and 7 songs trying to sound like that one and 4 interesting ones #mmw :lol: 

Don't forget brickwalling into oblivion to win the loudness war

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mendez said:

Don't forget brickwalling into oblivion to win the loudness war

Yeah Rick Rubin immediately came to my mind but then I remembered what Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses, Death Magnetic and 13 sounded like. Deafening riffage for an hour. So much so that you forget everything that you've just heard. I do think if he was involved solely for creative purposes and artistry then yes, I think he has the assertiveness to get the best performances out of them. Just don't let him anywhere near the mixing process.

Plus he produced the American Recording albums. The best work of Johnny Cash's career imo. Someone who has the genius to pair Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden and Depeche Mode with an icon like Cash is perfectly qualified to take on the mammoth task of producing a Guns N' Roses record in my book.

8 hours ago, default_ said:

They sould call Earnie C and create a hard bluesy thrash industrial hip hop album. 

considering to most of us fans cd was axls industrial solo record hopefully that ship has long sailed on hearing anything industrial again.

17 hours ago, AlexC said:

Yeah Rick Rubin immediately came to my mind but then I remembered what Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses, Death Magnetic and 13 sounded like. Deafening riffage for an hour. So much so that you forget everything that you've just heard. I do think if he was involved solely for creative purposes and artistry then yes, I think he has the assertiveness to get the best performances out of them. Just don't let him anywhere near the mixing process.

Plus he produced the American Recording albums. The best work of Johnny Cash's career imo. Someone who has the genius to pair Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden and Depeche Mode with an icon like Cash is perfectly qualified to take on the mammoth task of producing a Guns N' Roses record in my book.

Rubin's input could be good in terms of sheer decision making. He's done that role without actually producing for NIN and Kanye West. However, Ezrin was supposed to do that for Chinese Democracy and Axl hated it. Rubin has a more diplomatic reputation and this role is blatantly needed.