Who are the most influential musicians of all-time?d

Just now, J Dog said:

Just thinking outside the realm of rock n roll for a bit.

Pac pretty much had an entire genre copy him. Even to this day, Kendrick Lamar is by far the most popular rapper and one of the best selling artist over the last five years, his biggest influence is Pac. Eminem is the best selling artist of the 21st century, not just rap, but music period, he has cited Pac a hundred times as one of his biggest influences. He was a huge influence outside of music as well but I guess that's a different discussion.

When I read what you wrote I instantly thought of Eminem outselling the beattles and his numerous citings of Tupac as a huge influence. The fact that Tupac heavily influenced an artist that out sold the beattles is amazing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Never heard of them. But I'm not in the least into electronic type music. I figured they were a new euro band- but nope- old German band! :lol: I'm completely ignorant of that stuff... 

They're pretty fuckin amazing, to my mind at least few people have done anything with synth that topped them.  Mindblowing group really.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CheapJon said:

The ones writing children's songs. I mean like the one who wrote the original "Frère Jacques", twinkle little star and so on. Every one in the world has sang these songs and got their first interest in music thanks to 'em. 

Or whoever wrote Happy Birthday.

Elvis

Buddy Holly

Little Richard

Chuck Berry

The Supremes

The Beatles

The Beach Boys

The rolling Stones

Led Zepplin

Cream

Rod Stewart and the Faces

Black Sabbath

David Bowie

Elton John

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

Motley Crue

GNR

Skid Row

Twisted Sister

Journey

Donna Summer

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

BSB

Nsync

Linkin Park

Godsmack

Snoop Dog

Dr. Dre

Sixx AM

Jimi Hendrix

The Doors

So many musicians and bands that changed the face of music. Those are the most influential people out there. Musicians who want you to pick up a guitar or play a drum set or maybe write a song. So many in many different decades.

I would say Frank Sinatra too since he started his own "rat" pack in the 60's. I mean who does that? He had it all in the talent department.

I honestly feel like Robert Smith(The Cure) is hugely underrated when a topic like this comes up. The Cure is so massively influential even today. Not the most, obviously but very influential and I don't think they/he gets the credit they deserve. 

On 4/27/2017 at 7:04 AM, Len Cnut said:

They're pretty fuckin amazing, to my mind at least few people have done anything with synth that topped them.  Mindblowing group really.

They're excellent, they recently have popped up on my Pandora and I've been enjoying their songs. Had no idea they were considered so influential, or were even well known. Guess I'll have to dig into their albums this weekend

23 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Elvis

Buddy Holly

Little Richard

Chuck Berry

The Supremes

The Beatles

The Beach Boys

The rolling Stones

Led Zepplin

Cream

Rod Stewart and the Faces

Black Sabbath

David Bowie

Elton John

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

Motley Crue

GNR

Skid Row

Twisted Sister

Journey

Donna Summer

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

BSB

Nsync

Linkin Park

Godsmack

Snoop Dog

Dr. Dre

Sixx AM

Jimi Hendrix

The Doors

So many musicians and bands that changed the face of music. Those are the most influential people out there. Musicians who want you to pick up a guitar or play a drum set or maybe write a song. So many in many different decades.

I would say Frank Sinatra too since he started his own "rat" pack in the 60's. I mean who does that? He had it all in the talent department.

Really? Sixx AM, Twisted Sister, Skid Row, God Smack, Pearl Jam, Motley Crue, and GNR are not at all influential bands in any way shape or form. I mean if they are a source of personal influence to you that's great and all, but their impact on music and culture as a whole is minimal to non-existent.

The rest of your list is on point though. 

Edited by Dan H.

On 4/26/2017 at 2:08 PM, Lies They Tell said:

I'm not an expert, but here's my silly attempt to list the most influential musicians:

1. Johann Sebastian Bach

2. Guillaume De Machaut

3. Joseph Haydn

4. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

5. George Gershwin

6. Ludvig van Beethoven

7. Richard Wagner

8. Charlie Patton

9. Ike Turner & The Kings Of Rhytm

10. Franz Liszt

11. Claude Debussy

12. Buddy Holly

13. Scott Joplin

14. Kraftwerk

15. Igor Stravinsky

16. The Beatles

17. Louis Armstrong

18. James Brown

19. Mikhail Glinka

20. Black Sabbath

21. Claudio Monteverdi

22. The Golden Gate Quartet

23. George Frideric Handel

24. Bob Dylan

25. Duke Ellington

26. Chuck Berry

27. The Rolling Stones

28. Bob Marley

29. Smokey Robinson

30. Leonard Bernstein

31. Duke Ellington

32. Aphex Twin

33. Miles Davis

34. Frederic Chopin

35. DJ Kool Herc

36. Giuseppe Verdi

37. Jimi Hendrix

38. Edgar Varese

39. Stephen Foster

40. The Kinks

41. Elvis Presley

42. Billie Holiday

43. Led Zeppelin

44. David Bowie

45. Grandmaster Flash

46. Depeche Mode

47. Michael Jackson

48. Aretha Franklin

49. Hildegard Von Bingen

50. Ray Charles

51. Pink Floyd

52. Hank Williams

53. Run DMC

54. Arnold Schoenberg

55. Public Enemy

56. Madonna

57. Velvet Underground

58.  The Sex Pistols

59. Prince

60. The Clash

I did this just for fun, so please don't take it too seriously. Obviously there's no way to objectively measure the influence of these artists.

This is one of the best posts I've seen in this subforum, and I encourage everyone here to give every one of these artists a listen.

Good work LTT

34 minutes ago, Dan H. said:

They're excellent, they recently have popped up on my Pandora and I've been enjoying their songs. Had no idea they were considered so influential, or were even well known. Guess I'll have to dig into their albums this weekend

Oh yeah they were fuckin influential as fuck man, in dance music, in 80s pop in general, people like David Bowie and Iggy were influenced by them quite heavily, as well as a lot of post punk bands.  

• Like 1