POLL: Billy Joel or Elton John?

Silent Jay

Billy Joel or Elton John?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've seen both...  Live - Billy Joel in a heartbeat.  Songwriting - Elton John.  

I suppose lyrics should give Joel the tie breaker, but he's written some of the worst lyrics in rock/pop history.  

Ultimately went with Elton John but both are musical geniuses.  

I get that GNR fans may not be into the schmaltzy sound of Billy Joel (though, if you're a fan of the song Street of Dreams, not sure how you don't like songs like Miami 2017 or Say Goodbye to Hollywood).  There's definitely a layer of cheese with Joel that I get why people may not like.  

But how anyone doesn't appreciate songs like Elton John's Goodbye Yellowbrick Road, Beenie and the Jets, or Tiny Dancer is beyond me.  

My vote for one of the greatest songs written in pop/rock history. 

• Like 2

I don't know much about Billy Joel, or any of his music, while I'm familiar with Elton John , which I find as stimulating as reading The Metro, John gets my vote because I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues nails long-distance relationships like no other song does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, downzy said:

I get that GNR fans may not be into the schmaltzy sound of Billy Joel (though, if you're a fan of the song Street of Dreams, not sure how you don't like songs like Miami 2017 or Say Goodbye to Hollywood).  There's definitely a layer of cheese with Joel that I get why people may not like.  

But how anyone doesn't appreciate songs like Elton John's Goodbye Yellowbrick Road, Beenie and the Jets, or Tiny Dancer is beyond me.  

Great, great song. Elton's 70's catalogue is absolutely sublime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

He is buggered recently, isn't he. Elton? Legionnaires disease or something or other? Life threatening apparently?

noooooooo! tell me this is not true :(

and Elton by a country mile

3 hours ago, downzy said:

very much so...

4 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

I don't know much about Billy Joel, or any of his music, while I'm familiar with Elton John , which I find as stimulating as reading The Metro, John gets my vote because I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues nails long-distance relationships like no other song does.

I love that song :heart: