POLL: Billy Joel or Elton John?

Silent Jay

Billy Joel or Elton John?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why would anyone hold a gun to my head and ask this question?

Like is there a wrong answer that will get me shot? Or is the guns only purpose to force me to answer which I prefer?

Also, who is holding the gun? I mean if it's Billy Joel I'd probably just say his name hoping that's what he wanted to hear.

What if I don't really know the music of Billy Joel but have heard like 40 Elton John songs? Maybe I do like Billy Joel more, will the Gun holder play me some samples of both?

And what happens after my answer? Do I get shot? Does the gun/gun holder magically disappear?

Why would anyone hold a gun to my head and ask this question?

I'm evil.

Like is there a wrong answer that will get me shot? Or is the guns only purpose to force me to answer which I prefer?

I plan to rape you after and I'd like to know your choice of soundtrack.

What if I don't really know the music of Billy Joel but have heard like 40 Elton John songs?

Then the sound of you enjoying it will be the soundtrack.

And what happens after my answer? Do I get shot? Does the gun/gun holder magically disappear?

See above

27 minutes ago, CheapJon said:

Fuck man, I'll let you rape me anyway. 

Yeah but i cant get off unless you're in pain and I have a tiny penis, hence the shit soundtrack, I cant imagine a more painful experience than listening to Billy Joel or Slaphead Reg.

Edited by Len Cnut

Billy Joel, and it's not even close. His run of albums from The Stranger to An Innocent Man is spectacular. And even the albums before and after that run are pretty damn good. Plus, he knew when to stop. I don't mind some of Elton's later material. But really, no one is talking about The Diving Board or Wonderful Crazy Night, and no one is going to talk about them over his classic material because those albums just aren't even close to the same quality.

Still, I do love Elton. I've seen them both live, which is something I'll never forget. But Billy Joel is just leagues better in my books.

9 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

Billy Joel, and it's not even close.

Billy Joel is just leagues better in my books.

:lol:

I agree about the majority of Elton's later material though, mostly poor to average (apart from his album with Leon Russell from a few years back which was excellent)

3 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

I agree about the majority of Elton's later material though, mostly poor to average (apart from his album with Leon Russell from a few years back which was excellent)

I mean, it's all preference. It's not that hilarious. In terms of actual talent, they're neck and neck. But I just vastly prefer Joel's songwriting abilities.

4 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

Billy Joel, and it's not even close. His run of albums from The Stranger to An Innocent Man is spectacular. And even the albums before and after that run are pretty damn good. Plus, he knew when to stop. I don't mind some of Elton's later material. But really, no one is talking about The Diving Board or Wonderful Crazy Night, and no one is going to talk about them over his classic material because those albums just aren't even close to the same quality.

Still, I do love Elton. I've seen them both live, which is something I'll never forget. But Billy Joel is just leagues better in my books.

I think the issue with Elton versus Joel is that Elton releases a lot more material, which means he's releasing more duds than Joel.  Joel stopped publishing new material over twenty years ago.  Nobody is talking bout Billy's albums from the last twenty years because there aren't any.

Joel has some great albums and songs, but if we're comparing the 70s to 80s, it's Elton by a country mile.  Elton had 5 consecutive #1 albums in the 70s.  Joel arguably had a better 80s and early 90s, but there wasn't much to write home about between Innocent Man, released in 1983, and River of Dreams, released in 1993.  In that same period Elton released Too Low for Zero, Breaking Hearts, Ice and Fire (lacklustre album, but had one of my favourite Elton tunes "Nikita"), and The One (again, album not great, but the song "The One" is in my top 5 Elton John songs).  

I've always believed that the viability of artists has more to do with momentum than the quality of their work.  People pay attention to artists who can consistently release quality work without too many duds.  But once an artist releases too many flops it doesn't matter if they later publish something great.  Elton's album Songs from the West Coast was fantastic but most didn't care since it had been so long since Elton had produced anything worth their time.  The song "This Train Don't Stop There Anymore" is classic Elton John, a song that should be considered as great as anything released in his 70s heyday.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Was Billy Joel ever big in Britain? I do not think he had much impact here?

Not really, no. Uptown Girl was quite a big hit though.

1 hour ago, Zeppelin said:

I mean, it's all preference. It's not that hilarious.

Very true. I'm just pulling your leg really. :D

Edited by bucketfoot
  • Like 1