Strong Rumor: From Australian news source: Guns N' Roses currently working on new album

As some of you may recall similar rumor threads (about a possible reunion) surfaced in the summer/fall of 2015.  Band members spotted together, news sources saying it was a possibility etc.  

And there was the same reaction of complete disbelief back then as there is now in this thread.

I think they are working on music and yeah, I think it's probably going to happen.

Makes more sense now, than ever.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, wasted said:

I believe they are working on stuff. 

Even if this rumor is a lie, I think it's inevitable for Slash to enter a studio and try some stuff out for Axl. Duff is supervising in soundchecks, and they gotta be doing their thing in rehearsals. After a year who knows? maybe they are already sharing ideas with Axl.

Rumors like this reminds me Axl seem totally satisfied with this line up. They had some down time, I hope Axl can't wait to use Slash in the studio and get him wailin'.

Edited by Rovim

Part of me believes this is the very reason why we don't get interviews.  I feel like all involved truly don't know or have any expectations as to what's to come about new music.  Why compound the matter by taking questions that can't really be answered.

There isn't any financial pressure to release new music like there was with Chinese Democracy.  Axl had to get that one out or be on the hook for millions in studio costs.  

Now they're all making mega bank on the road an appear to be having a good time.  Perhaps there's a concern that should they attempt a new album it could cause problems and disrupt the cash cow that is the current tour.  Or maybe not.

I will say that new music could be viewed as a means to determine how long this parade will last.  If by the end of the year there's no noise about new offerings, I'd be surprised if they kept touring and perhaps maybe call it a day.  This tour is making the three main principals wealthy many times over.  Perhaps they all really enjoy it and will make it a regular thing.  But if the priority here is money, I'd get your butt to a show this year as it could be the last opportunity to see Axl, Slash, and Duff share a stage together.  

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

Even if this rumor is a lie, I think it's inevitable for Slash to enter a studio and try some stuff out for Axl. Duff is supervising in soundchecks, and they gotta be doing their thing in rehearsals. After a year who knows? maybe they are already sharing ideas with Axl.

Rumors like this reminds me Axl seem totally satisfied with this line up. They had some down time, I hope Axl can't wait to use Slash in the studio and get him wailin'.

Seems like Axl is ready to go, Slash just needs to lay down his parts. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, downzy said:

Part of me believes this is the very reason why we don't get interviews.  I feel like all involved truly don't know or have any expectations as to what's to come about new music.  Why compound the matter by taking questions that can't really be answered.

There isn't any financial pressure to release new music like there was with Chinese Democracy.  Axl had to get that one out or be on the hook for millions in studio costs.  

Now they're all making mega bank on the road an appear to be having a good time.  Perhaps there's a concern that should they attempt a new album it could cause problems and disrupt the cash cow that is the current tour.  Or maybe not.

I will say that new music could be viewed as a means to determine how long this parade will last.  If by the end of the year there's no noise about new offerings, I'd be surprised if they kept touring and perhaps maybe call it a day.  This tour is making the three main principals wealthy many times over.  Perhaps they all really enjoy it and will make it a regular thing.  But if the priority here is money, I'd get your butt to a show this year as it could be the last opportunity to see Axl, Slash, and Duff share a stage together.  

New albums basically serve as way for big name touring acts to slap new paint on an old house, and kinda "re-brand" things to sell tickets.  It's no secret that the vast majority of money is raked in through touring, but even that needs to be "shaken up" now and then.  The reunion stigma is soon going to wear off and they'll need to go back to the drawing board eventually.

Consider that Axl has *at least* 1 more album worth of vocals already recorded from the elusive followup to Chinese.  I would imagine it would be fairly easy for Slash & Duff to strip most of the guitar and bass parts and "rebuild" them in their style, requiring little to no studio time for Axl.  Not saying that this is what Slash is doing in the studio right now, but again, I would think this would be pretty easy if the idea is to get an album out sooner than later.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, downzy said:

if the priority here is money, I'd get your butt to a show this year as it could be the last opportunity to see Axl, Slash, and Duff share a stage together.  

There's a time and a place for everything. The priority is as it always was. In a way. A commercial band that is old needs to be successful. Axl wants to do it I think. But my guess is the approach is to make money and feel it out when it comes to new ideas, and when the tour is over, as long as Axl is AC/DC free, why wouldn't he go for it in the studio? no one knows if they'll actually complete another album but if it's good enough, I think Axl can find a way to release it.

There will be plenty of chances to see them live probably. Another Guns album will happen years from now if it happens.

Edited by Rovim

If true that band is working on new material while on road, I would figure Slash is kinda at the helm.  And that sounds to me a lot like how Slash was working up new material with the band during UYI tours.  And then Slash presents that to Axl, Axl rejects much of it.  A decision that Duff sided wth Axl on too.  Then Slash left and there was a single new album under the GNR name in 23 years since then and Slash only just returned.

I feel kinda anxious about this.  Am I being overly dramatic?

Some people have already spoken to the no interviews being about the uncertainty around the issue of an album.  Others have mentioned the possibility that Axl and Slashs processes remain incompatible.  I guess Im wondering those same things.

Edited by soon

23 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

I think so too.  I think GN'R fans are always skeptical of news like this (for just reason).  But hey, they reunited last year and fans said that would never happen....So who knows.  I'd say there's at least a decent chance there's some truth to this. 

I think people is unfair and delusional in the tought that the band should've released new music last year. Even if it were just CD leftovers with Slash and Duff recording their parts the whole process take some time, specially when you're one of the biggest bands in the world. 
People like to say "Hey, but Slash recorded Snakepit in a week", yeah, but it took almost a year to get released, people dont really know the whole process, its not just record and release. Even after a year, I still think its soon. 

23 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't even know if I want them to. Melissa is in the band and I didn't like Fortus riffs in his original music much and Frank is meh. I'd rather they get Izzy back before any writing commences

Who knows? I'm just curious to know how a GNR album with the big three and without Izzy will sound like, then we'll see if Izzy is so needed as people like to paint here. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but I think Axl, Duff and Slash are more than capable to create good stuff. I hope I'm not wrong.

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

The number one reason there isnt and won't be new music is Axl. I love the guy but he simply cannot materialize. It doesn't matter who he's working with. He's pushed away Slash, Duff, Bucket, Bumble, Brain, Freeze, Tommy, Finck - musical geniuses - due to his lack of work. Since 2011 new music has been given up on completely. Unless Axl changes his perspective or is mentally able to release new music, he will always be the block in the way of new album

11 minutes ago, default_ said:

I think people is unfair and delusional in the tought that the band should've released new music last year. Even if it were just CD leftovers with Slash and Duff recording their parts the whole process take some time, specially when you're one of the biggest bands in the world. 
People like to say "Hey, but Slash recorded Snakepit in a week", yeah, but it took almost a year to get released, people dont really know the whole process, its not just record and release. Even after just a year, I still think its soon. 

Who knows? I'm just curious to know how a GNR album with the big three and without Izzy will sound like, then we'll see if Izzy is so needed as people like to paint here. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but I think Axl, Duff and Slash are more than capable to create good stuff. I hope I'm not wrong.

Axl Duff and Slash are not the problem, but the rest of the band lol.

6 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

The number one reason there isnt and won't be new music is Axl. I love the guy but he simply cannot materialize. It doesn't matter who he's working with. He's pushed away Slash, Duff, Bucket, Bumble, Brain, Freeze, Tommy, Finck - musical geniuses - due to his lack of work. Since 2011 new music has been given up on completely. Unless Axl changes his perspective or is mentally able to release new music, he will always be the block in the way of new album

I don't feel Axls lack of work pushed Slash away, more that Axl pushed Paul Huge on him and he hated that guys guts and felt he wasnt deserving to be in GNR. Music actually materialized in 1996

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

17 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't feel Axls lack of work pushed Slash away, more that Axl pushed Paul Huge on him and he hated that guys guts and felt he wasnt deserving to be in GNR. Music actually materialized in 1996

Yeah, I can admit when I'm wrong. You're definitely right, I just generalized :P 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Yeah, I can admit when I'm wrong. You're definitely right, I just generalized :P 

I also think Axl not releasing much these last 20+ years had to do with Slash (and to a lesser extend Duff) were not in the band, and from 2004 even had a very successfull VR going, so Axl had something to prove and compete against and was perhaps really scared in that sense. Now that he got his boys back the chances are better than ever for music to finally come out. I'm just still on the fence whether the first GNR record with Slash should be with THIS line up. I guess it would be better than nothing, but when the initial "wow" wears off from it it will forever be "why didn't they.."

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Since 2011 new music has been given up on completely. Unless Axl changes his perspective or is mentally able to release new music, he will always be the block in the way of new album

That's not true.  A lot of effort on Axl's part went into finishing off many unreleased material in 2014-2015.  When Bumble and Ashba left, it kind of left the entire operation in a lurch.  There was an internally established goal within the camp to get something out in 2016.  That plan was ultimately abandoned once Slash and Duff rejoined the band.

People may always want to believe it's just Axl, but other egos play a factor.  I'm sure Ron and others who left are nice people in their own way, but many have their own issues when it comes to working with others. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I also think Axl not releasing much these last 20+ years had to do with Slash (and to a lesser extend Duff) were not in the band, and from 2004 even had a very successfull VR going, so Axl had something to prove and compete against and was perhaps really scared in that sense. Now that he got his boys back the chances are better than ever for music to finally come out. I'm just still on the fence whether the first GNR record with Slash should be with THIS line up. I guess it would be better than nothing, but when the initial "wow" wears off from it it will forever be "why didn't they.."

The optimistic side of me wants to say that Slash and Duff's re-inclusion in Guns will mean to new music, but the realist side of me thinks that Axl is still Axl in terms of releasing music. Keep in mind his idea of a new album is the second half of Chinese with Slash and Duff overdubbing, which hasn't come out in 9 years already. I don't think Axl has it in him or even really cares enough for new music- he sees himself as successful and is quite content in life. He may have nothing left to say. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just don't see it happening. I've said it before: the best chance of hearing Axl's work is going to be posthumous from whoever owns his music after his death.

3 minutes ago, downzy said:

That's not true.  A lot of effort on Axl's part went into finishing off many unreleased material in 2014-2015.  When Bumble and Ashba left, it kind of left the entire operation in a lurch.  There was an internally established goal within the camp to get something out in 2016.  That plan was ultimately abandoned once Slash and Duff rejoined the band.

People may always want to believe it's just Axl, but other egos play a factor.  I'm sure Ron and others who left are nice people in their own way, but many have their own issues when it comes to working with others. 

I disagree. The only time we heard any reference to the new music was what, summer 2014? Bumblefoot confirmed nothing was written in those 5 years. Everyone sent Axl demos and band members pushed for new releases and singles but nothing came of it. We saw a very lethargic "going through the motions" Axl which I'm sorry but I cannot believe he was super productive during the 2011-2014 era. He toured the damn hits for years and starting 2011 had dropped half the CD songs from the set, even doing an AFD dedicated tour in 2012. It is possible he was working on the CD II songs which is presumably what we saw in the photo with him and Pitman in the studio, but shit Axl, you've been tinkering with that for nearly two decades! Keep in mind, Bumble and Ashba may have left and that could've delayed a new record, but they (or simply Bumble) left because Axl wasn't productive in terms of new music. If there was new music planned, why would Bumble leave? He wanted new music more than anyone else.

i was just blasting "down on the farm" through my car speakers and felt totally badass. i was thinking "wouldnt it be nice to have a new album with slash's killer riffs and axl's vocals".

so i'm totally ready if and when it happens.

soon is definately the word

• Like 1