Strong Rumor: From Australian news source: Guns N' Roses currently working on new album

4 hours ago, soon said:

If true that band is working on new material while on road, I would figure Slash is kinda at the helm.  And that sounds to me a lot like how Slash was working up new material with the band during UYI tours.  And then Slash presents that to Axl, Axl rejects much of it.  A decision that Duff sided wth Axl on too.  Then Slash left and there was a single new album under the GNR name in 23 years since then and Slash only just returned.

I feel kinda anxious about this.  Am I being overly dramatic?

Some people have already spoken to the no interviews being about the uncertainty around the issue of an album.  Others have mentioned the possibility that Axl and Slashs processes remain incompatible.  I guess Im wondering those same things.

There was a huge Chinese interview, and a Brazilian one too. It's minimizing the risks while still giving the bare minimum so people don't riot in hallways.

In general, we know what's up. Everything's going well, we also know they're coming up with new ideas and that they will eventually present it to Axl. He even said his intention is to do more with Guns.

Axl can't give us the answer to when? given his condition. He can't tell us what he doesn't know, all he knows is it won't be soon. Like asking a poor man that just got a great job when will he be rich.

I'm optimistic. It looks like we just gotta wait and see. Time will tell.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

On 2017-04-28 at 0:42 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

I disagree. The only time we heard any reference to the new music was what, summer 2014? Bumblefoot confirmed nothing was written in those 5 years. Everyone sent Axl demos and band members pushed for new releases and singles but nothing came of it. We saw a very lethargic "going through the motions" Axl which I'm sorry but I cannot believe he was super productive during the 2011-2014 era. He toured the damn hits for years and starting 2011 had dropped half the CD songs from the set, even doing an AFD dedicated tour in 2012. It is possible he was working on the CD II songs which is presumably what we saw in the photo with him and Pitman in the studio, but shit Axl, you've been tinkering with that for nearly two decades! Keep in mind, Bumble and Ashba may have left and that could've delayed a new record, but they (or simply Bumble) left because Axl wasn't productive in terms of new music. If there was new music planned, why would Bumble leave? He wanted new music more than anyone else.

It's not up to debate, as I have knowledge that Axl was spending a ton of time in the studio in 2015 working on finishing off material that was previously recorded and worked on.  Bumblefoot is probably correct in his own assessment that nothing was being written, but that's from his own perspective.  It appears that he just wasn't involved in the song-writing process for reasons that only Axl could divulge. 

We can debate over whether anything was ever going to come out, but my response was to your assertion that "new music has been given up on completely."  If Axl had given up completely, he wouldn't have been spending all the time working on the material in the vault.  I go back to Axl's interview with Kurt Loder from 1999 where he says he's not putting in all this work to bury it.  We might not care for the timeline that Axl operates with, but I believe he sees an end game while he's in the studio or composing at his piano.  

EDIT: References to having first-hand knowledge have been removed.  I often speak extemporaneously and this might result in mischaracterized references.  Apologies for the confusion.   

My only fear is that the rejection of CD2 by the label (or whatever album Axl's got in hand back then) have caused an impact on the guy's will to release another one.

I know people said Axl has mellowed a little, but the most pessimistic would think he's not gonna release new music because of ego.

On the other hand, I think we're gonna get new music as soon as the reunion thing becomes old.

11 minutes ago, AFGnR said:

Whatever they release, rock stars in their 50s produce mostly forgettable stuff.

They don't produce any hits at that point, but there are acts that put out decent stuff in their later years.  And I know that Gn'R is basically "just a rock band", but I think they shouldn't chase hit songs at this point. They should focus on putting out something that lasts. Something meaningful. 

1 hour ago, jafeijo said:

My only fear is that the rejection of CD2 by the label (or whatever album Axl's got in hand back then) have caused an impact on the guy's will to release another one.

I know people said Axl has mellowed a little, but the most pessimistic would think he's not gonna release new music because of ego.

On the other hand, I think we're gonna get new music as soon as the reunion thing becomes old.

Or when it's ready. I speculate new material needs to exist in a releasable form with Slash and Duff and the rest of this line up in order for us to see it.

I believe the quality of the Gn'R catalog is important to Axl. I think it can't be a rehash for him, and also that if CD ll is a great album, it will need to be as good with Slash on it at the very least? I expect delayed excellence or bust.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't feel Axls lack of work pushed Slash away, more that Axl pushed Paul Huge on him and he hated that guys guts and felt he wasnt deserving to be in GNR. Music actually materialized in 1996

Slash wasn't the same back then, he wanted to be on the road he didn't care about working on new material he simply wanted to be out touring but Axl had seemingly disappeared and Slash was going crazy waiting on him.

As far as a new album goes it seems like a long shot. At some point Axl is going to have to get back in the studio and put vocals to whatever Slash and Duff have. CD would have never came out if the record company hadn't basically bought the record from Axl. 

The problem is that they wait so long to do anything and the expectations get higher and higher. I think if they can get one or two songs together and release one as a single then that would help tremendously in keeping people at bay from expecting too much 

3 hours ago, downzy said:

It's not up to debate, as I have first-hand knowledge that Axl was spending a ton of time in the studio in 2015 working on finishing off material that was previously recorded and worked on.  Bumblefoot is probably correct in his own assessment that nothing was being written, but that's from his own perspective.  It appears that he just wasn't involved in the song-writing process for reasons that only Axl could divulge. 

We can debate over whether anything was ever going to come out, but my response was to your assertion that "new music has been given up on completely."  If Axl had given up completely, he wouldn't have been spending all the time working on the material in the vault.  I go back to Axl's interview with Kurt Loder from 1999 where he says he's not putting in all this work to bury it.  We might not care for the timeline that Axl operates with, but I believe he sees an end game while he's in the studio or composing at his piano.  

Okay, my assertion in that case may be wrong if you are accurate about Axl in the studio. I hadn't heard of such a thing even as a pretty huge guns fan, but if you are correct about Axl being in the studio (which I still don't fully believe but am keeping in mind that you are not be able to disclose that information). Like I said earlier, I can take a step back and admit I'm wrong once in a while, going off of what you said. I still don't see new music getting released any time soon, if at all. I'm not sure Axl is too interested in new music. But that's a different debate.

16 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Okay, my assertion in that case may be wrong if you are accurate about Axl in the studio. I hadn't heard of such a thing even as a pretty huge guns fan, but if you are correct about Axl being in the studio (which I still don't fully believe but am keeping in mind that you are not be able to disclose that information). Like I said earlier, I can take a step back and admit I'm wrong once in a while, going off of what you said. I still don't see new music getting released any time soon, if at all. I'm not sure Axl is too interested in new music. But that's a different debate.

Yeah, I'm in agreement that it's highly questionable whether we're actually going to get anything.  If I had to guess (not based on any information passed along from me), Axl fluctuates between wanting to release new material and hanging everything up.  As i said in my previous post, if we don't hear anything from the band that indicates plans to release new material by the end of the year, I wouldn't hold out much hope.  But if we start getting interviews from Axl, Slash, and Duff whether on tour or shortly after that provides a little clarity and intentions going forward, then I think prospects are good.  

I thought I've been pretty vocal the last couple of years about the fact that Axl was spending a lot of time in the studio.  As you guess, I'm not a liberty as to reveal my sources, it's definitely as rock solid as you can get.  I was told multiple times by various sources that a new album was being prepped for a 2016 release and to meet that deadline Axl was spending a lot of time in the studio.  And then it was announced that Bumble and Ashba were leaving and any news about new music dried up.  In fact, many sources completely cut communications once rumours of Slash returning to the fold.  I think once the personal divide that separated the two was bridged and those involved understood the incredible amount of money within reach those efforts to release new material stopped immediately.  Add in Axl's involvement with AC/DC and the 2014-2015 plans were put on hold.  My hope is that the tours go well and perhaps Axl, Duff, and Slash revisit some of the material Axl was working on since most of it has to be close to completion.  Release another album, do another round of touring, and then perhaps call it a day and/or focus on other projects like AC/DC.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yeah, mentioned that in one of my previous posts. That was definitely interesting, I wonder if it was for a music video or album art but it was vague. Chris being involved (like him or hate him) does give some credibility it was a new guns release.

1 hour ago, downzy said:

Yeah, I'm in agreement that it's highly questionable whether we're actually going to get anything.  If I had to guess (not based on any information passed along from me), Axl fluctuates between wanting to release new material and hanging everything up.  As i said in my previous post, if we don't hear anything from the band that indicates plans to release new material by the end of the year, I wouldn't hold out much hope.  But if we start getting interviews from Axl, Slash, and Duff whether on tour or shortly after that provides a little clarity and intentions going forward, then I think prospects are good.  

I thought I've been pretty vocal the last couple of years about the fact that Axl was spending a lot of time in the studio.  As you guess, I'm not a liberty as to reveal my sources, it's definitely as rock solid as you can get.  I was told multiple times by various sources that a new album was being prepped for a 2016 release and to meet that deadline Axl was spending a lot of time in the studio.  And then it was announced that Bumble and Ashba were leaving and any news about new music dried up.  In fact, many sources completely cut communications once rumours of Slash returning to the fold.  I think once the personal divide that separated the two was bridged and those involved understood the incredible amount of money within reach those efforts to release new material stopped immediately.  Add in Axl's involvement with AC/DC and the 2014-2015 plans were put on hold.  My hope is that the tours go well and perhaps Axl, Duff, and Slash revisit some of the material Axl was working on since most of it has to be close to completion.  Release another album, do another round of touring, and then perhaps call it a day and/or focus on other projects like AC/DC.  

Thank you for the (to me) new information and a good chat, Downzy. I hope for CD II, but like we discussed you really never know with this band.

1 hour ago, downzy said:

My hope is that the tours go well and perhaps Axl, Duff, and Slash revisit some of the material Axl was working on since most of it has to be close to completion.  Release another album, do another round of touring, and then perhaps call it a day and/or focus on other projects like AC/DC.

That would suck IMO. It would be like having Slash and Duff playing on Axl's solo album. I know it's more realistic than expecting a new album from scratch but I'd never hope for something like that. Don't get me wrong, I hope I'll get to hear every single song Axl has worked on for the last two decades, I'd just like to hear each song with the people who originally worked on it/wrote it.

I would guess that there Is probably a 50/50 chance of seeing a new album and that may be being a bit optimistic. The time to capitalize on a new album and give It the best chance of success would be while they are on tour playing to 40-50,000 per night. Unfortunately, we all know how this band operates. Axl said It on more than one occassion " I don't know If soon Is the word" I wouldn't hold your breath or stay up waiting. The band hasn't been this big since 1992. It's now or never, Imo.

Edited by ironmt

34 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bunch of bollocks. They'll still be playing the same setlist in Brazil in two years' time - mark my words.

Actually that would not be a surprise. They could probably continue selling this tour for another 2-3 years, possibly longer.

heres the main problem in my opinion:

theres no way that Axl is going to shit can all of his CD era stuff just to start writing and recording new stuff with slash. It's music he is proud of,  I'd really hate to think how much of a touchy subject it is with this current lineup.

theyre probably all keen to get in the studio and hit it out of the park, meanwhile Axl may be saying "yeah cool, so that's gonna be on the fourth follow up to CD" by then they'll all be in their 70s.

if the wheels fall off this thing it will probably be due to this.

Edited by megaguns1982

7 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

heres the main problem in my opinion:

theres no way that Axl is going to shit can all of his CD era stuff just to start writing and recording new stuff with slash. It's music he is proud of,  I'd really hate to think how much of a touchy subject it is with this current lineup.

theyre probably all keen to get in the studio and hit it out of the park, meanwhile Axl may be saying "yeah cool, so that's gonna be on the fourth follow up to CD" by then they'll all be in their 70s.

if the wheels fall off this thing it will probably be due to this.

Pretty much spot on. It's all a bit of a mess really and that's not even factoring in the possibility of an AC/DC record happening in amongst it. So potentially a very exciting mess. I still just look at it as any new material is a bonus tbh and then I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen. :lol:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Pretty much spot on. It's all a bit of a mess really and that's not even factoring in the possibility of an AC/DC record happening in amongst it. So potentially a very exciting mess. I still just look at it as any new material is a bonus tbh and then I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen. :lol:

I forgot about Ac/dc... if he records with them and poteniallly tours with them, that will set back new gnr music for many more years.

1 minute ago, megaguns1982 said:

I forgot about Ac/dc... if he records with them and poteniallly tours with them, that will set back new gnr music for many more years.

Exactly. :lol: I'm probably in a minority on here in that I really want to see him do a record with Angus.

12 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Exactly. :lol: I'm probably in a minority on here in that I really want to see him do a record with Angus.

It would be pretty cool, I'm just not sure what the point would be? Ac/dc have made their mark on rock n roll history already and have quiet a legacy. Maybe time to call it quits?

Im just saying, It would be a shame to see what I'd hope to be a great end to the gnr story (new kick ass album) fall by the wayside because Angus wants to keep ac/dc going a bit longer.

2 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Try telling Angus that! :lol:

I get what you mean about rather seeing a GN'R record though, I'd like to think both could happen but probably just as likely that neither will. :lol:

It could also end up that the AC/DC album happens and we don't get a Guns album. It will be Interesting to see where It goes.