NFL Draft 2017

classicrawker

SO it was an interesting 1st round last night with teams desperate for a franchise QB trading up and reaching for what is being called one of the more mediocre college class of QB's in recent memories............I think SF took the Bears for a ride with what they got in return to let them jump ahead 1 spot to draft a second round talent QB...SF was never going to draft Trubisky and bluffed the Bears into a panic move IMHO//////

Interesting move for Thompson to trade our 1st pick with Cleveland to move out of the first round. Guess he was not that high on TJ Watts and still has a list of players they like for the first pick in the 2nd round tonight.....That pick is very valuable and I could see Ted trading down again if he gets the right offer....

So would love to hear how you feel your team did and what you expect tonight.........

1 hour ago, Crazyman said:

There's rumors TT might pick DeShone Kizer at 33 :lol:

I personally expect him to trade down again...hopefully with the Jets or someone so we can pick up a 3rd for moving down like 6 spots

I think that is just a smoke screen to try to influence teams still desperate for a QB to try to trade up with him and get them to overpay...from what I read and heard on the Sirius NFL network today this is the strategy SF used to fleece the Bears to basically swap places.....

Evidently the first pick of the 2nd round is one of the most valuable in the draft so I am betting Ted trades down again. He also has the Brown's first pick in the 4th on day 3 which he might also trade down on.

Ted loves his draft pick.........

Duh Bears. I still can't get over that one. I mean I don't think the kid is garbage, but worth all that? No way.

Not too many big surprises other than that one. I think the Chargers were dumb to take a wr in the top 10. I don't think I can name a Chargers wr from the past 10 years and Rivers still puts up nasty numbers. Just seemed like they could've used a top 10 pick on something else.

I like Ed McCaffrey's son. He'll be a big help for Cam.

Da Raidaz. Rape accusations? Who cares, he's good, draft him! In all fairness though, it does look like the whole story is b.s, I think the kid will be cleared. And he could be a lockdown corner in the future. Raiders are in Beastmode, they'll make a run this year.

Raidaaahhhzzz interviewed the fuck out of that kid and say they're confident he didn't do it. Kid also supposedly passed a polygraph about it. He was top 5 talent until the rape allegations. Kid sounds beyond grateful the Raiders took him. We will see how it plays out.

If Beastmode is anything close to what he was in Seattle, the Raiders offense will be very tough to stop. 

I look forward to busting balls on the many Chiefs fans I know when Mahomes is a big time bust. They gave up a SHIT TON to trade up.

17 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Raidaaahhhzzz interviewed the fuck out of that kid and say they're confident he didn't do it. Kid also supposedly passed a polygraph about it. He was top 5 talent until the rape allegations. Kid sounds beyond grateful the Raiders took him. We will see how it plays out.

If Beastmode is anything close to what he was in Seattle, the Raiders offense will be very tough to stop. 

I look forward to busting balls on the many Chiefs fans I know when Mahomes is a big time bust. They gave up a SHIT TON to trade up.

I forgot about the KC pick. Yeah I'm not sure about that one either. I don't think it was Bears level bad, but I'd call that a highly questionable move. All those qbs  from schools like that, put up those huge numbers, many times it's more the system than player. They don't have good track records in the NFL. Edited: I just looked again at what they gave to get him, damn they gave a first round pick in next years draft on top of the other stuff. Andy Ried must love that kid.

I wouldn't be surprised if Deshaun Watson is a bust either.

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 1

AxlsFavouriteRose explained this to me the other day, I couldn't fuckin' believe it!  So the fuckin' teams that come bottom of the league get the pick of all the best players comin' up, how the fuck does that work, so you get rewarded for being shit? :lol:  That'd put an interesting spin on the transfer market in football, 'Messi to Middlesborough!' :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

AxlsFavouriteRose explained this to me the other day, I could fuckin' believe it!  So the fuckin' teams that come bottom of the league get the pick of all the best players comin' up, how the fuck does that work, so you get rewarded for being shit? :lol:  That'd put an interesting spin on the transfer market in football, 'Messi to Middlesborough!' :lol:

Um sorta but not really. Yeah the teams with the worst records draft first, and it goes in order until the last team picks which is your previous champion.

Now getting the best players. Not so much. These are college kids, never played pro. Some turn out to be great and others never make it. It's far far from guaranteed. Roll of the dice really. You can have the first pick, go for a guy who was great in college, and him turn out to be a bum and not be able to hang with the pros. And you can be one of the better teams picking last, do your research, and draft a kid that turns out to be a hall of famer.

5 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Um sorta but not really. Yeah the teams with the worst records draft first, and it goes in order until the last team picks which is your previous champion.

Now getting the best players. Not so much. These are college kids, never played pro. Some turn out to be great and others never make it. It's far far from guaranteed. Roll of the dice really. You can have the first pick, go for a guy who was great in college, and him turn out to be a bum and not be able to hang with the pros. And you can be one of the better teams picking last, do your research, and draft a kid that turns out to be a hall of famer.

Oh so its like youth teams they get the pick of?  Oh that makes sense now!  Doesnt each team have their own youth set up that they take from?  Thats how it works in football.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Oh so its like youth teams they get the pick of?  Oh that makes sense now!  Doesnt each team have their own youth set up that they take from?  Thats how it works in football.

Yeah that's a good way to look at it.

High school kids go and play in college, then NFL teams evaluate and check out the college players and start thinking about who they would draft.

Baseball sounds like it might be more set up like your football. Every Major League Baseball team has their own personal, developmental/youth teams set up. Most of those players are straight out of high school and don't even mess with college. And said teams pull those players up to the pro team as needed.

3 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Yeah that's a good way to look at it.

High school kids go and play in college, then NFL teams evaluate and check out the college players and start thinking about who they would draft.

Baseball sounds like it might be more set up like your football. Every Major League Baseball team has their own personal, developmental/youth teams set up. Most of those players are straight out of high school and don't even mess with college. And said teams pull those players up to the pro team as needed.

So basically, if you're a college kid on the way up, no matter how talented you are, your entry to the game is gonna necessarily be with the shit teams?

21 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

So basically, if you're a college kid on the way up, no matter how talented you are, your entry to the game is gonna necessarily be with the shit teams?

Not at all. I mean you can only draft one player at a time, and it goes in order. Sure that first shitty team may pick what is considered the best college player, but there are a ton of good, talented kids in college and only 32 pro teams. That kid that gets picked #32, last pick of the first round which is owned by the previous champion, well that kid just got on the best team in the NFL and probably has a good chance going to the super bowl in his very first year.

And to get deeper, you look at positions too. The first three shitty teams picking may all have a good quarterback they like already on their roster. So let's say everyone agrees this certain quarterback in college is the all around best player coming up. Well if those first three teams all have a quarterback, but they all have shitty defenses, they'll probably draft one of the better defensive players from college over that quarterback that everyone rates as the actual best player. If that makes sense.

Edited by J Dog

I think the Packers knocked it out of the park with King. Super, super happy with that pick.

Other good picks: Jones (safety), Williams, Dupre. If they give Dupre time to develop he'll be an absolute steal in the 7th.

The rest I'm not very sure about. Jones (the RB) looks explosive, but probably only a situational player. The DL that we drafted has the closest comparables to...Justin Harrell and Khyri Thornton :lol: 

I like The Packs draft......grabbed two big, fast  athletic CB/S players and we addressed a number of needs with some good players..............from what I read some experts actually favored Vince Biegal over TJ Watts...he has some speed, is a hard worker and is relentless..could be a good value where he was picked........

As far as the other picks we got 3 RB's so even if one pans out it is a win......a couple of developmental WR's including one that some publications gave a 2nd/3rd round grade and a DL who has the talent and started to mature this past year in college and just had a child born which could help in his maturity he also was one of the fastest DL's who ran so we are gettig more atheletic.....The OL lineman is typical Thompson pick in that he is a college tackle who will be kicked inside to Guard....Ted does pretty well picking OL in the middle rounds so he must have seen something in this kid........

All in all a strong draft IMHO so we hopefully will not have to carry and rely on a large number of undrafted FA's this year whn we have injuries...........

56 minutes ago, Crazyman said:

I guarantee OLB becomes a huge need by next year. That group is super, super thin and full of injury-prone players. 

they have 5 OLB's including Biegel so I wouldn't say they are super super thin, also Jones is 6'2" 220 and will play a lot of LB in sub packages, which Capers plays most of the time, so IMHO we are o.k.....not super deep but adequate....

Edited by classicrawker

53 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

We're pretty thin on the DL line.

Need to generate more pressure there and not sure just Biegel and Francois can do it. 

I'm excited to see how the offense looks though. Should be killer.

How are they thin on DL as they have 6 lineman not including Guion who will be back Game 5/6?.....not saying they have a bunch of all Pros but they have functional players....I would also expect Clark and Lowry improving in their 2nd year.....

Edited by classicrawker

29 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

they have 5 OLB's including Biegel so I wouldn't say they are super super thin, also Jones is 6'2" 220 and will play a lot of LB in sub packages, which Capers plays most of the time, so IMHO we are o.k.....not super deep but adequate....

Biegal hasn't played yet, Jayrone Elliot has been nothing special, and Kyle Fackrell hasn't shown anything special yet. With Matthews regressing at a dangerous rate Perry is the only guy I have any confidence in and he's only done it for a year (and is injury prone). Definitely wish they double-dipped there.

Also disagree with DL being thin. Daniels, Clark and Francis are a good "starting" 3 (I except Clark to continue to improve), Lowry, Guion, and the rookie should be adequate depth. 

ILB is pretty thin too - Martinez, Ryan and Thomas. Considering the injuries there last year and meh play, I'm a bit worried. 

1 hour ago, Crazyman said:

Biegal hasn't played yet, Jayrone Elliot has been nothing special, and Kyle Fackrell hasn't shown anything special yet. With Matthews regressing at a dangerous rate Perry is the only guy I have any confidence in and he's only done it for a year (and is injury prone). Definitely wish they double-dipped there.

Also disagree with DL being thin. Daniels, Clark and Francis are a good "starting" 3 (I except Clark to continue to improve), Lowry, Guion, and the rookie should be adequate depth. 

ILB is pretty thin too - Martinez, Ryan and Thomas. Considering the injuries there last year and meh play, I'm a bit worried. 

Ted evidently feels Elliot and Fackrell are adequate and that Biegel is starting quality......Also as I mentioned Capers rarely plays base Dfense so Burnett and now S Jones will play some hybrid S/ lb close to the line of scrimmage so they won't have 2 Ilb's on the field that often.........it would have been nice to get another fast  Ilb but I am betting Clay moves inside a fair amount and unless they have major injuries they can manage IMHO.....

On Dline they also have Ringo and Price for depth but if they have to play them it means they had a lot of injuries which no team has depth to cover for that....

6 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

Ted evidently feels Elliot and Fackrell are adequate and that Biegel is starting quality......Also as I mentioned Capers rarely plays base Dfense so Burnett and now S Jones will play some hybrid S/ lb close to the line of scrimmage so they won't have 2 Ilb's on the field that often.........it would have been nice to get another fast  Ilb but I am betting Clay moves inside a fair amount and unless they have major injuries they can manage IMHO.....

On Dline they also have Ringo and Price for depth but if they have to play them it means they had a lot of injuries which no team has depth to cover for that....

Right, hence why I put starting in quotes. I think Jones will be a better player than most people think and will see a ton of playing time this season, almost out of necessity. Speaking of necessity, I believe you're right about Clay moving inside. DL isn't upper echelon by any means, but it's serviceable enough. 

TT also felt Randall/Rollins were going to take a big jump in season 2 (hence why he let Hayward/House walk in 2 consecutive season) and was wrong about it. In TT we trust, but we also need to be skeptical sometimes as well. 

2 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I don't know about Rollins, a lot of people don't think he's a good player, but Randall was just injured. 

They were both injured last season so I give them a bit of a pass as they both played well as rookies.......this is make or break for the both of them........

So...Seahawks spend half their draft banking on the Legion of Boom's replacements, and they get like 1 guy for their O Line to watch Wilson's ass. I get it, Sherman, Chancellor, and Thomas won't be there forever, but all year Hawks fans have screamed, pad the fucking line. I don't hate the picks they made, I just don't understand the ones they didn't.