Fyre Festival: When a $12,000 luxury festival in paradise turns into chaos

Amir

46 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Who was playing though? If it was somebody decent you might be willing to put up with a limp cheese sandwich.

Blink-182 was supposed to be the headliner.

If you paid 12 grand to see them, I can't blame the organisers for ripping you off with a limp cheese sandwich.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, soon said:

Im personally both loving every minute of this and wondering why anyone cares what happened to these trust fund babies

I found out about it via this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/68999h/seth_rogen_and_the_lonely_island_are_teaming_up/dgwqwtv/?utm_content=permalink&utm_medium=front&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=movies

17 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

oh my god this is terrible....could somebody please find Ja Rule? get hold of this motherfucker so I can make sense of all this.

WHERE IS JA?!

37 minutes ago, Amir said:

sorry if I came across as saying 'why would you post/know about this?'  makes total sense to post about live music events on here.  I just meant its weird to me in general how this is such big news.  

5 minutes ago, soon said:

sorry if I came across as saying 'why would you post/know about this?'  makes total sense to post about live music events on here.  I just meant its weird to me in general how this is such big news.  

Hah don't worry, I shared the reddit link to show that a film is coming out about the same topic. I still haven't seen Popstar, was in and out of cinemas here in the space of a week.

I admit to being fascinated by this yesterday. I actually feel sorry for all these people but there seems to have been plenty of evidence it was sketchy as hell for some time, a buzzfeed article pointed many of the lies out almost a month ago.

The media seems to have focused on the idea that these are all super rich kids that paid 12k for tickets but all the interviews with attendees I've seen they seem to have paid on average about $500 and were just regular people with jobs.

I suspect the super expensive VIP tickets were more hype than anything and I actually think some of the issues came about because they undercharged based on what they were trying to achieve, to offer 2 way airfare, travel to the site plus all inclusive catered food, luxury accommodation on top of the cost per head of all the artists that would need to be scheduled and the other amenities spread over 3/4 days is not doable on an average of 500 per person. Many other festivals are more expensive on average and everyone has to make their own travel, food and accommodation arrangements.

Seems like they blew a lot of the money on paying for models/celebs and just didn't have the cashflow to build a massive infrastructure. That and the lack of foresight to actually start the hard work in a workable timescale. Something that ambitious should probably be 18 months to 2 years in planning for the first ever event with solid financial backing.

They are lucky nobody had a major medical emergency, diabetic coma etc.. through lack of adequate care.

• Like 1

At first look this is funny but after really reading about it I think its totally fucked up.

Sure, there were idiots who spent tens of thousands to go, but it seems there were plenty of "regular" joes who saved up a grand or two to go. When you see the prospect of getting a private jet and luxary ammeneties on a tropical island for only a few grand, I can see why some people got excited and jumped the gun. Seemed a few of them split costs with friends too. With how it sounds, people could have gotten really hurt, lost, kidnapped, etc. Really shitty and those in charge should be prosecuted. They knew this wasnt ready to go in any way, let alone how it was advertised and sold as.

Really bizarre story

• Like 2