RATE: What were GnR best at musically?

Your favorite style of music from Guns  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Curious on forum thoughts about what the band was best at musically. We know they were great at many different styles but what do you think they were BEST at? This could also be the style you prefer as well.

We know people love their hard rock/sleaze sound from AFD - but did people want to continue hearing that style forever? Did most fans want GnR to be an AC/DC style band? Or a Stones-y band? Or an experimental band like Janes Addiction?

Tried to add as many categories as I thought relevant, if I missed any or classified them wrong -- feel free to suggest a different poll option.

My favorite GnR style is probably their punk infused metal sound tied with the Experimental stuff - #2 would be the Stradlin' stones-y stuff.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Curious on forum thoughts about what the band was best at musically. We know they were great at many different styles but what do you think they were BEST at? This could also be the style you prefer as well.

We know people love their hard rock/sleaze sound from AFD - but did people want to continue hearing that style forever? Did most fans want GnR to be an AC/DC style band? Or a Stones-y band? Or an experimental band like Janes Addiction?

Tried to add as many categories as I thought relevant, if I missed any or classified them wrong -- feel free to suggest a different poll option.

My favorite GnR style is probably their punk infused metal sound tied with the Experimental stuff - #2 would be the Stradlin' stones-y stuff.

I voted stadium rock, and WTTJ and Nightrain ought to be listed there.  (And now are - thanks, @RONIN.  :kiss:)  Maybe YCBM, too.  Those are the big songs with big hooks that lead to us getting to hear all the other types of songs.  

Edited by triad
kudos
  • Like 3

I voted for AFD sleazy style (I'm counting YCBM here too) but is a tie with stonesy southern Stradlin's sound :P

Least favorite would probably be Axl's pompous rock songs :lol: I know is an unpopular opinion but November Rain, Coma or Estranged do nothing for me. :shrugs:

• Like 1

Punk infused Metal - It's so Easy, Right Next Door to Hell, Garden of Eden, Perfect Crime, Oh My God, Don't Damn Me, Dead Horse, Aint it Fun

Especially Right Next Door To Hell and Oh My God

• Like 2

They are best in what they do when they do anything at all. No need to force them to one direction. It's the combination of the original 5 and their influences what makes them that great. They would never be the band they became by sticking just to one style.

• Like 1

i love gnr best when there's some classic rock n' roll in the song, which i hear in most songs… i would've loved them to continue as a rock n' roll band, not a metal band or "alternative" band, and then doing interesting records - growing as bands that stay together do.  would've loved to see them do something like "blue and lonesome" like the stones just did.  gnr should've dominated the 2000's when rock n' roll had a nice resurgence, they should've showed The Strokes and everyone else how to do it right (for the record i love the strokes).  

3 minutes ago, RONIN said:

This thread is inspired by @Len Cnut once telling me that GnR should have stuck to southern rock/rootsy type of music because that was their strongsuit. Still feel that way Lenny?

Whether they should've or not depends on ones perspective, they just did it well and my favourite songs of theirs are in the vain, they are the most convincing with that kind of thing, their punk comes off a bit hard baked, their hard rock, though often good, kinda made them one out of a bajillion but those Stonesy type songs they did put them in a sphere where like...there weren't nobody doing shit like that as well as them, in a big rock band context anyway.  SCOM, Used to Love Her, One In A Million, that stuff to me is GnR at their best.

• Like 1

"November Rain" is Axl's "genius moment" in rock history (IMHO) that will never be taken away from him- so I voted art rock/epics (factoring in personal preference as well as creative risk element too). The sleazy "Appetite"-style is their definitive sound though and I think the predominant reason they were 1st ballot RNR HOFers. Certainly understand plenty of votes going that way too...