Vintage: Guns N' Roses: Is It All Over? + Izzy Quotes

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

I never really have to go, "Izzy, play this part this way." He just plays his thing his own way, and we never really talk about it much. Last night, we went in and took two songs from scratch, just basic chord changes, and worked them into full songs. That's one of the things about me and Izzy working together, he knows where I'm at, and I know where he's at. And that's the way it's always been. I make up something that accompanies his part, and at the same time accents it, and he does the same with my parts. We have that kind of chemistry. We've always been good friends, so for us to get in a room and play is a very easy thing to do [Guitar One Magazine, 2002]

I remember reading this and being elated and anticipating an album by at least izzy and slash, but likely also duff and matt.  

15 minutes ago, Sunset Gardner said:

yeah WHATEVER dizzy reed, you play a mean keyboard clown.  to talk shit about the king is a joke.  izzy is a legend, dizzy is a rock in his father's shoe. 

Actually I find it funny that Dizzy doesn't understand Izzy at all, other thing would surprise me. :D

Edited by Darkenchantress

1 minute ago, soon said:

I remember reading this and being elated and anticipating an album by at least izzy and slash, but likely also duff and matt.  

Wasn't meant to be. :(

That original VR album w/Izzy and 1996 GnR sessions are the holy grail for GnR fans.

1 hour ago, Darkenchantress said:

Toothpuller, I wanna hear those lyrics so bad. :rofl-lol:

Ah Slash, every time he is asked he says something different about Izzy. Sometimes he's the worst, sometimes he's the only one he can really work with, who knows. :rolleyes:

Yeah -- he can't seem to decide if Izzy is competition or if Izzy brings out the best in him. :lol:

8 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Great interview with Slash. :slash: Thanks for posting that @RONIN!

You got it ;)

Izzy went back to Indiana [Axl shakes his head in disbelief]. That pretty much explains the absurdity of the whole goddamn thing. The fucking idea of going back to Indiana - I am not even bagging on Indiana - I just know how much Izzy hated it. I went to high school with this guy. It's pitiful. It was the fame of the heroin addiction and the fear of death. When Izzy woke up in New York with EKG pads all over his body and doesn't know how they got there, and knows, 'I think I OD'd last night and made it back home' - that was pretty much it. Before that he was pulling away, but that was the end. Then when he got straight...I think it really has to do with what it takes to face that big audience. I wouldn't call it stage fright. It's something else, and to psyche yourself up for that, the old Guns doesn't seem to be able to do it without medication [Axl Speaks, Rolling Stone, January 2000]

i think axl hurt for his real bandmates in 2000… i think he's in denial about his role in sending everyone running from him blaming "medication", but i like this quote, i think the frustration he feels for izzy is also a projection of his love for his band and songwriting partners.  i think unfortunately axl responded with ego and anger and went the "i'll show you guys" route and wound up wasting years he'll never get back, nor will the band.  but i like this quote.  and no… i don't think it was all 100% axl's fault.   

2 hours ago, Darkenchantress said:

Actually I find it funny that Dizzy doesn't understand Izzy at all, other thing would surprise me. :D

I have always considered Dizzy Reed to be Axl's sycophant. (And considering his status in the band, it's not that big surprise; he's a hired hand, an employee. Axl basically saved him when he was broke and homeless)

Everything he says is always in line with what would please Axl (or what he thinks would please Axl)

One example: 

http://fasterlouder.junkee.com/gunners-keyboardist-dizzy-reed-this-is-the-real-guns-n-roses/831717

It's basically an article where he's defending Axl/ NuGnr from critics who don't consider them real Guns n' Roses.  Mission not accomplished Mr. Reed :max:  

And  when Dizzy says in that article [Madagascar88, September 2005] that in 91 they where having time of their lives and suddenly Izzy just decided to leave.. He's clearly trying to portray it like  Izzy had no valid reason to do it.

(reasons like: Izzy trying to stay off drugs in a band where people were using, Duff was trying to drink himself to death, Axl causing riots and god knows what else. They were a huge mess.) But I'm sure Dizzy was having time of his life. He went from sleeping on other people's couches to playing in the biggest rock band in the world.

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fourteenbeers said:

I have always considered Dizzy Reed to be Axl's sycophant. (And considering his status in the band, it's not that big surprise; he's a hired hand, an employee. Axl basically saved him when he was broke and homeless)

He shows gratitude. How bad from him :facepalm:

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

There's nothing wrong with showing gratitude per se. I guess my point was little vague.  Point was that while he is defending Axl or making Axl  look good he also makes somebody else look bad. 

For example potrtraying Izzy's departure from GNR in unfair light  (or in that "We are the real Guns n' Roses" article  

Ok, I get that. But don't you think that it would have been more gentle from Izzy if he would have left the band after the tour?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RONIN said:

Probably the most honest Slash interview of GnR imho

Guns N' Roses: Is It All Over? Does Anyone Care?
Metal Hammer November 1995

And Gilby was still my mate - I didn't have anything to do with him being fired from Guns -

He had told a somewhat different story here:

That's a sensitive subject, it wasn't my idea. Guns could have been history a while back. [...] Gilby was a godsend. We only had two weeks before the next leg of the tour started. He's the only guitar player we auditioned. He's great. What happened was we were rehearsing and Gilby was really out of it one day. The morale of the band, we aware all trying to keep it together and he was the odd man out that day. I was complaining and then Axl called me that same night and said he didn't want to work with Gilby anymore for a lot of different reasons. In a way I sort of went along with it, at least Axl thought I was going along with it because I had my own complaints from that night on rehearsal. This was about a year ago. [...] [The firing] was never etched in stone, but it was etched in Axl's mind. I knew there was no argument. Axl probably thought I was totally behind it. I went to talk to Gilby because I didn't want him to hear anything on the street. I told him what was going on, and everything was in a state of flux for a while [Slash, Metal Edge Magazine, 1995]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

Ok, I get that. But don't you think that it would have been more gentle from Izzy if he would have left the band after the tour?

sorry that was unfinished post... the second example was that the "We are the real GNR" article begins with: 

Forget Slash, Izzy and Duff. ”[We are] the real Guns N’ Roses,” says the band’s longtime keyboardist and Axl Rose’s last ally Dizzy Reed.

So the employee basically tells people to ignore the classic line up of Guns n' Roses. I'm sure every sane person knows that Nu Guns exist (ed?) because what the classic line up has done and accomplished. They made it the biggest rock band in the world. They made the hits and did the dirty exhausting work that lifted them from the gutter to the stars.

Now what you said:  It  is true that  when Izzy left before the UYI -tour was finished, it left band in trouble. So in that sense it would been better/more fair choice from the band's point of view for Izzy to leave when the tour was finished. But was it fair from Axl's side to show up constantly late on gigs? No. And then there's the other story: that Axl in 1991 handed a contract over to Izzy to sign to reduce his share of royalties. Doesn't sound very fair either. I don't know if that story is true or not.

In Axl's defence: he does get a lot of shit in the media and they like to make him look like the bad guy, whether he deserves it or not. I know that everything that is wrong with GnR is not automatically  his fault. I'm aware that lot of the stuff said about him during all these years is not true. 

My post makes me sound that I have something personal against Axl - I don't. I  think he is the most entertaining front man in rock ever. In his prime he had amazing vocal range, very distinctive voice, he still has loads of charisma and what he contributed to the band can not be underestimated in any way. He is the part of Guns n' Roses that can not be replaced. Guns n' Roses is not Guns n' Roses without Axl Rose. On the other hand -  Guns n' Roses is not Guns n' Roses with only Axl Rose and some hired guns. 

Edited by Fourteenbeers

7 hours ago, bigpoop said:

Guaranteed 'Toothpuller' is better than anything Dizzy has ever contributed to the band.

Almost certainly, yes :rofl-lol:

14 hours ago, RONIN said:

"He wants to write material, but he's not really sure what he wants to do. He's so laid back. He doesn't want to deal any pressure. Izzy does what he wants to do.

"As much as has gone on, and as much as I resent Izzy for quitting and all that, and leaving me in weird spots where I had to find a replacement weeks before the next leg of a tour, or if he didn't play on the "Use Your Illusion" records - which is for the most part true - looking back on it, Izzy's Izzy."

That's basically the same thing Axl recently said in the Brazilian interview.

Well, at least Axl and Slash have got their stories straight, it seems :P:shrugs:

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:
14 hours ago, RONIN said:

Probably the most honest Slash interview of GnR imho

Guns N' Roses: Is It All Over? Does Anyone Care?
Metal Hammer November 1995

And Gilby was still my mate - I didn't have anything to do with him being fired from Guns -

He had told a somewhat different story here:

That's a sensitive subject, it wasn't my idea. Guns could have been history a while back. [...] Gilby was a godsend. We only had two weeks before the next leg of the tour started. He's the only guitar player we auditioned. He's great. What happened was we were rehearsing and Gilby was really out of it one day. The morale of the band, we aware all trying to keep it together and he was the odd man out that day. I was complaining and then Axl called me that same night and said he didn't want to work with Gilby anymore for a lot of different reasons. In a way I sort of went along with it, at least Axl thought I was going along with it because I had my own complaints from that night on rehearsal. This was about a year ago. [...] [The firing] was never etched in stone, but it was etched in Axl's mind. I knew there was no argument. Axl probably thought I was totally behind it. I went to talk to Gilby because I didn't want him to hear anything on the street. I told him what was going on, and everything was in a state of flux for a while [Slash, Metal Edge Magazine, 1995]

This is a perfect example of how miscommunication runs rampant in this band lol. And how Slash manages to appear like a liar a lot of the time. It's not much in the grand scheme of things, but he slightly twists the truth when it fits him one time and can't be bothered to go into detail about something at another time, and that's enough for his comments to not add up anymore and appear contradictory already.

• Like 1

Obviously part of the reason that Izzy left might have been the fact that he and Axl didn't get along towards the end... but that's just part of it. I mean... about the Ju Ju Hounds... I have a friend who was the guitarist for that band back in the early 90s and he was always complaining about how Izzy would just not show up for shows. [I comment that Izzy is turning into Axl... which puts a frown on Dizzy's face]

I idon't get this Dizzy comment, is Dizzy saying his friends with Rick Richards, or was there another guitarist befor Rick?

19 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Everything he says is always in line with what would please Axl (or what he thinks would please Axl)

One example: 

http://fasterlouder.junkee.com/gunners-keyboardist-dizzy-reed-this-is-the-real-guns-n-roses/831717

It's basically an article where he's defending Axl/ NuGnr from critics who don't consider them real Guns n' Roses.  Mission not accomplished Mr. Reed :max:  

And  when Dizzy says in that article [Madagascar88, September 2005] that in 91 they where having time of their lives and suddenly Izzy just decided to leave.. He's clearly trying to portray it like  Izzy had no valid reason to do it.

(reasons like: Izzy trying to stay off drugs in a band where people were using, Duff was trying to drink himself to death, Axl causing riots and god knows what else. They were a huge mess.) But I'm sure Dizzy was having time of his life. He went from sleeping on other people's couches to playing in the biggest rock band in the world.

Well Izzy and Dizzy both had two completely different perspectives as to what was going on. Izzy had enough, and from his side of the fence, he was in the right. Dizzy had literally just went from scratching his ass for money, to living that first class lifestyle.

Idk.. I just don't see the point getting wound up over what Dizzy said about a lineup that no longer exists. He was just trying to sell the nu-guns, he probably could have put it better and said "no disrespect to the old lineup but, this is the best band I've ever been in". I mean, it's the right thing to do. That was the Guns N Roses lineup that they were trying to sell, and the fans can buy it or leave it.

To me it's justifying that the new girlfriend is better than the old one, even though your friends and family still prefer the old girlfriend and see it differently than you want to because, the old girlfriend is gone. She's not coming back, and how much control can you really have over that?

• Like 1