Isn't Locomotive the "titular line" moment of the UYI albums?

The titular line (or title line) is a line in a film, book or song which includes the name of the film, book or song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titular_line

Not only does Locomotive contain the exact phrase of the UYI albums ("You can use your illusion
Let it take you where it may") but a lot of the lines discuss the concept of having illusions, holding on to them, etc.  It feels like this song not only has the album title in it but also discusses the concept of illusions far more than any other song on the album.  And correct me if I'm wrong but I feel illusions are mentioned in quite a few songs between the two albums, so I feel that says a lot about Locomotive.  For being the song to sum up the point of the album title better than any other song between the two records, Locomotive feels so ignored compared to the rest of the songs.  It seems like Axl and the others are aware that it's one of their most beloved songs especially when it comes to lesser known GN'R songs, but it's never played live.  Not even occasionally.  For a song that may explain the general idea of the album title used for two albums, that seems odd to me.

GnR--UseYourIllusion1.jpg61uwk1Y253L._SL500_AA300_.jpeg

What an interesting album title.  Iconic album covers.

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma
  • Like 2

Isn't use your illusion the name of the artwork on the album cover? I believe Axl bought the painting, hence, the line....."I bought  me an illusion and I hung it on the wall, I let it fill my head with dreams and I had to have them all"

• Like 1

Don't Damn Me is the other song which touches upon the theme of the album title.

It comes in the cool, breakdown part:

I know you don't wanna hear me crying/

and I know you don't wanna hear me deny/

that your satisfaction lies in your Illusions/

but your delusions are yours and not mine/

So Axl was definitely working through feelings which made him realize that there was a dichotomy between the fantasy of life and the reality of life. Being put on a pedestal and given money, fame and glamour, at the same time his personal life was falling apart. I'd guess that lots of that had to do with Erin and the realization that they had no future together. The grand illusion of a family was something he had to let go.

As far as Locomotive goes, it's a killer song and I know how proud Slash was when he wrote it, but when they got done tinkering with it, it seems like it was too experimental to roll it out as a show staple. The 'love's so strange" part is pretty meandering and wouldn't work so well being repeated over and over.

Don't Damn Me has never been played live because there is no room to take a breath, which is a bummer because it is also a highlight of UYI.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think those Locomotives lyrics do strike me as the titular line.  Stood out to me since first/early listens as a kid, but I didnt really have the terminally or concept to classify it.  Pretty cool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

Isn't use your illusion the name of the artwork on the album cover? I believe Axl bought the painting, hence, the line....."I bought  me an illusion and I hung it on the wall, I let it fill my head with dreams and I had to have them all"

nope nope nope

its actually the school of athens https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_School_of_Athens

22 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I'm pretty sure it was being played live at least twice.

5 times (+ Paris 92 rehearsals + 1989 mates rehearsal + instrumental demo), all 5 live audio bootlegs exist, no video bootleg. and I especially enjoy the first ever live version, from Mountain View 1991:

Edited by zombux
  • Like 1

Don't Damn Me also has some lines about Illusions. Both the illusion tracks lean away from melody and to more experimental arrangements, kind of makes sense not to attach such lyrics to a pop rock song. 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2017 at 4:48 AM, appetite4illusions said:

Don't Damn Me is the other song which touches upon the theme of the album title.

It comes in the cool, breakdown part:

I know you don't wanna hear me crying/

and I know you don't wanna hear me deny/

that your satisfaction lies in your Illusions/

but your delusions are yours and not mine/

So Axl was definitely working through feelings which made him realize that there was a dichotomy between the fantasy of life and the reality of life. Being put on a pedestal and given money, fame and glamour, at the same time his personal life was falling apart. I'd guess that lots of that had to do with Erin and the realization that they had no future together. The grand illusion of a family was something he had to let go.

As far as Locomotive goes, it's a killer song and I know how proud Slash was when he wrote it, but when they got done tinkering with it, it seems like it was too experimental to roll it out as a show staple. The 'love's so strange" part is pretty meandering and wouldn't work so well being repeated over and over.

Don't Damn Me has never been played live because there is no room to take a breath, which is a bummer because it is also a highlight of UYI.

I think there's a few songs that just aren't going to get a showing live, unfortunately those songs are some of my faves on Illusions. It would be cool if maybe did a instrumental mash up of bits and pieces of songs they don't play live, instead of the instrumentals they currently do like Layla n shit.

• Like 1

Everything was roses when we held onto the guns. 

I always liked that line in locomotive, "you can use your illusion let it take you where it may". It's like axls version of Timothy Leary's tune in, turn on, drop out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sprite said:

Everything was roses when we held onto the guns. 

I always liked that line in locomotive, "you can use your illusion let it take you where it may". It's like axls version of Timothy Leary's tune in, turn on, drop out.

Breakdown has some of Axl's best lyrics IMO

But if I call you out of habit,

I'm out of love and I've gotta have it

Would you give it to me,

If it fit your needs?
Like when we both knew we had it

Now the damage is done

And we're back out on the run

Funny how everything was roses when we held on to the guns

Just because you're winnin'

Don't mean you're the lucky one

I know AFD is their masterpiece but the Illusions are what I spend the most time listening to when it comes to GN'R

• Like 1