Double Talkin' Jive

4 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Not that I'm aware, but I believe Axl was doing everything he could at that time to keep Izzy engaged and involved in the recording of the UYI by getting all of his songs on the albums. Furthermore, I believe Axl sung it live following Izzy's departure as a fuck you to Izzy. And the song sounds better with Axl's venom instead of Izzy's passive approach. 

When Izzy was in the band they both sanged it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Under appreciated Slash masterpiece imo.  They could have gone further with the song and they seem to so live. 

no doubt slash solo is killer -- rock in rio 2nd night 1991 is unbelievable -- but you do know that izzy wrote the song, right?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EvH said:

The fade out and in during the outro soli scream unfinished, to me. Lazy trick.

Interesting. I always saw it as clever because if you are listening to the album, it leads nicely into November Rain. 

10 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

Was it ever explained as to why Izzy sang it on the album, but Axl always sang it live?

Am I missing something? Unless I'm having a senior moment I swear it's Axl's vocals on DTJ...

i felt like it was a nightly acknowledgment to izzy on tour.  when slash referred to the illusion records as gnr's "white album" i think of this song… the outro, just gnr/slash being artists… doing something different... not completely working against one another yet.  great song. 

14 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Under appreciated Slash masterpiece imo.  They could have gone further with the song and they seem to so live. 

Such a good song. Love the lyrics and Slash's solo is most impressive.

Live it was awesome!

Glad they added this song to their live set list.

43 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's Axl on the studio recording of the song... they incorrectly listed Izzy as the lead vocal in the liner notes.

Not in my booklet. There is no lead vocal listed. Izzy is lead and rhythm guitars, Axl's background vocals. No vocals listed.

Izzy's singing, Axl sings along in the chorus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's Axl on the studio recording of the song... they incorrectly listed Izzy as the lead vocal in the liner notes.

Lmao, its clearly Izzy on the record. Axl does backing vocals in the chorus. 

Edited by Izzymacbeth
Spelling as usual
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

Was it ever explained as to why Izzy sang it on the album, but Axl always sang it live?

I do believe there is an interview where Axl said Izzy sang it on the record cos it was 'badass' or something along those lines. I've tried to find it but to no avail. 

Help anyone? 

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Axl is clearly on the studio recording. But Izzy is the one doing the main vocals lines. Axl is the background/random bits/screams.

Kind of like Cornshucker. Duff is the main vocal, but you hear Axl all over the song.

• Like 1

In my booklet Izzy also plays lead guitar (except for the Spanish flamenco part which is slash), and given the simplicity of the playing compared to the live version I've always thought this to be true- I.e. Izzy playing but with Slash's set-up to make the album sound consistent.

10 hours ago, alfierose said:

I really like this song but it always feels unfinished somehow, like perhaps it needed another verse. It starts really strong but tails of too soon.

agree, live version much better though