What type of strings do you use, and why?

I use Elixir .009's. According to them, their strings last 3-5 times longer than other brands, and from what I've seen, it's pretty true. I've gone from Ernie Balls to D'Addarios, but Elixir seems to do it for me. I use .009 because they're more comfortable for me, plus I really don't wanna file my nut (lol)

You have to adjust the fuckin' neck as well, don't you?  When i used to want to play guitar i always wanted to try like the thickest fuckin' strings possible...snapped the fuckin'....whats it called now, that rod in the neck, apparently i don't know the meaning the words 'quarter-turn' :lol:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

You have to adjust the fuckin' neck as well, don't you?  When i used to want to play guitar i always wanted to try like the thickest fuckin' strings possible...snapped the fuckin'....whats it called now, that rod in the neck, apparently i don't know the meaning the words 'quarter-turn' :lol:

You mean truss rod? :lol: oddly enough that's what Pappy calls his weiner :lol:

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, thats the one!  Someone told me Ron Asheton played with incredibly thick strings so i thought 'right, thick strings it is!'

Well if you're in the heavy-metal elite group, thick strings are usually preferred

Right now I use Ernie Ball Power Slinkys (.11-.48), I used to use D'addario strings, but they didn't stand up to me doing the sliding riff from Scraped. One string would always unwind.

As for how long they last, I've had the same set for 4-5 months now. They're probably considered dull, but they play fine for me. Even after 5 note bends

Edited by Mendez

No in all seriousness i'm same as you AslatIE. Always was an Ernie Ball man, had 11-48's on one guitar for standard/half step down and Skinny Top/Heavy Bottoms on my other guitar for more downtuned stuff. Went into the shop about 2 months ago and the dude was raving about the new D'Addario NYXL strings so i thought i'd give them a whirl and yeah he was raving for pretty good reason. I have NYXL 11-49's on the standard/half step and 10-52's on the other guitar and i find them to be brighter sounding strings, another huuuge difference i found with them is that they stay in tune better and haven't lost much if any of their bite after 2 months of pretty regular play.

Edited by Silverburst80

D'addario 10 - 46. I used to snap Ernie Ball strings left and right, so I remember going to the guitar shop many moons ago and just saying "give me something cheap" and the rest is history.

I dont see myself ever changing now. Sometimes out of quickness I've used Dean Markley or Cleartone - whatever is around the studio. I'm usually quick to change back to D'addario though. I think I've pretty well always been 10 - 46.

I fucking hate D'addarios. Yeah they're soft on the hands. But in the 4 sets I bought, 3 broke while stringing. The other set sounded like lead after a couple weeks.

I like Boomers. They're cheap and last a long time.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

LOL slinkies...makes me think of that toy they used to have? when are you going to post a new song? :)

We are working on our album now! Itll be a 4 aong EP. Going in tomorrow to finish my parts! Should be finished sometime in the summer or fall at the latest :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ernie Ball Rock N' Roll Super Slinky, 9-42

https://www.stringsbymail.com/ernie-ball-2253-classic-regular-slinky-pure-nickel-electric-9-42-5738.html?catargetid=120229430000045764&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjw--DLBRCNARIsAFIwR27cOAZIHxmTqV0xeDEsY9kowAOoWcLAAAptqxIJOmveaDhHISz7sPUaAgAdEALw_wcB

They take a couple days to break in, but once they do they sound amazing and have a great feel to them. I've stuck with these strings for about two years now and they always get the job done!

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Been using Daddario 9-42 but gonna try Elixirs next time since so many people seem to swear on those and say theres no reason to use any other brand. Only downside = you can't pickscrape :lol: (the coating comes off) 

That's why I changed to D'Addarios and Ernie Balls :lol:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...