Macron wins the Élection présidentielle française 2017

AtariLegend

This is a wonderful step for western liberal democracy.

Unfortunately France is still fractured politically, and the divide will likely widen more with time if the US is any indication. European Nationalism is not over yet.

For now the EU remains, and we can look to Macron and Merkel and hope they set good examples for the rest of the world. We shall see.

6 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

So much for the rise of the far right? 

Their figures are incredible. I think you don't realized what it means since you expected these numbers to be much higher. 11M this is twice higher than her father in 2002 against Chirac.

Hollande approval rating is below 4%. Macron who was minister of economy will follow up with the same team, Najat Belkacem, Manuel Valls etc. And if it happens, his approval ratings are gonna drop fast.  61% of us do not want Emmanuel Macron to have an absolute majority in the Assembly. 

5 hours ago, Dan H. said:

European Nationalism is not over yet.

Why should nationalism be over?

5 hours ago, Dan H. said:

For now the EU remains, and we can look to Macron and Merkel and hope they set good examples for the rest of the world. We shall see.

Looking good.

C_E3TRaW0AAdfba.jpg

Edited by Silent Jay

3 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Why should I be sad. I don't think you understand what France is unfortunately.

I was kidding, but sure go ahead and condescend like the liberals. :lol:

In all honesty I don't care why you like nationalism, and you don't care why I don't. We aren't the people either side is trying to win over.

4 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Maybe the Daily Mail and Americans posting frog memes, can hold out for Denmark in 2019 to elect some far right nut cases instead?

Hillary won the POTUS popular vote here by 3 million votes, but unfortunately lost due to our archaic Electoral College system, so please don't generalize that all Americans are sad that Macron won.......the majority of us Americans voted for a Liberal Democrat.............

France has its issues so hopefully Macron can help heal some of the wounds............

Edited by classicrawker

7 minutes ago, Dan H. said:

I was kidding, but sure go ahead and condescend like the liberals. :lol:

In all honesty I don't care why you like nationalism, and you don't care why I don't. We aren't the people either side is trying to win over.

I'm not sure if the term liberal even exist in France. I might call it 'parisiens', this has something to do with mannerism... Well yeah, you probably know what France is, but nationalism is a different thing to paint. I come from the mountains, different life, different people, better food too. So there u go!

Just now, Silent Jay said:

I'm not sure if the term liberal even exist in France. I might call it 'parisiens', this has something to do with mannerism... Well yeah, you probably know what France is, but nationalism is a different thing to paint. I come from the mountains, different life, different people, better food too. So there u go!

I'm from Appalacia and I still turned out to be a fag loving liberal. We're everywhere. Watch out ;)

I'm sure you kept a closer eye on France than me, but it's pretty clear to both of us that the National Front isn't over yet. You may have better details, but we're arriving at the same conclusion I think.

2 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Hillary won the POTUS popular vote here by 3 million votes, but unfortunately lost due to our archaic Electoral College system, so please don't generalize that all Americans are sad that Macron won.......the majority of us Americans voted for a Liberal Democrat.............

France has its issues so hopefully Macron can help heal some of the wounds............

Oh let it go, the electoral college is necessary to keep the presidency from being swayed by several major cities and fucking the rest of the country. It's fair and you know it, you don't have to be happy about the result.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

Oh let it go, the electoral college is necessary to keep the presidency from being swayed by several major cities and fucking the rest of the country. It's fair and you know it, you don't have to be happy about the result.

It is not fair when you only have two shitty choices. The French election is a good example. One round with all the parties including the two major parties and several smaller parties. Neither major party made it to the run off. National Front is a right wing fringe party founded by neo Nazis and En Marche! is only a year old.

26 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

relax mate I didn't say it wasn't fair in fact if you read my past posts I said I understand the reason for the Electoral College.......my only point was Hillary won the popular vote so the majority of voters in the U.S. voted liberal Democrat who would most likely identify with Macron......

57 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Hmmmm want to post the Trump one with the people who did't vote percentage included too, just for comparison?

Why would this have something to do with Trump, this has nothing to do with your last election. Apples and oranges.

Edited by Silent Jay

1 minute ago, Silent Jay said:

Why would this has something to do with Trump, this has nothing to do with your last election. Apples and oranges.

They do have the same link. Russian interference. Except this time they were unsuccessful. 

13 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

relax mate I didn't say it wasn't fair in fact if you read my past posts I said I understand the reason for the Electoral College.......my only point was Hillary won the popular vote so the majority of voters in the U.S. voted liberal Democrat who would most likely identify with Macron......

Fair enough, let's have a beer. ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

They do have the same link. Russian interference. Except this time they were unsuccessful. 

Well that's what I assumed. We have no proof of russian interference yet. That could be anybody, even from Macron camp who knows. Until then it's all up in the air. Wikileaks said they are authentic. Plus they have been timed such that they were very unlikely to affect the vote.

Edited by Silent Jay

I didn't say I'd be the biggest fan, but it's a two way race. 

I'll take the Blarite over the quasi-fascist. 

I'd take May over Farage too, Clegg over Cameron, Boris over Gove, George Galloway over Nick Griffin... that doesn't mean I support any of them.

I do think though Frances system is more fair than ours. Rather than a one off vote where the party that gets a 1/3 of the vote gets the majority and to choose the PM or the US system where they really only have 2 choices from the get go.

Edited by AtariLegend

Just seems like another statist who will keep everyone in poverty, lube up global finance and just smooth talk through it. Which is fine, as we can see from Trump you can't turn the plane around it's too late, just go down with the ship, it's not all bad now, just sell the future down the river. Maybe too early to start stock piling cans and weapons. Maybe read The Road just to get the basic idea of where we are going.

2 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

I didn't say I'd be the biggest fan, but it's a two way race. 

I'll take the Blarite over the quasi-fascist. 

I'd take May over Farage too, Clegg over Cameron, Boris over Gove, George Galloway over Nick Griffin... that doesn't mean I support any of them.

I do think though Frances system is more fair than ours. Rather than a one off vote where the party that gets a 1/3 of the vote gets the majority and to choose the PM or the US system where they really only have 2 choices from the get go.

Clegg over Cameron haha. I do not think Clegg would even take Clegg over Cameron.

• Like 1