Fortus on Slash & Duff: 'I Think We All Agree It Clicked Instantly' [Update Page 7 - ''I Don't Think This Band Has Ever Sounded Better Than It Does Right Now'']

12 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

When you are influenced by the Rolling Stones and country or punk musicians just as Izzy, Axl or Slash and it works, you don't have to idolise the band you're in to fit, like Stinson. He knew the hits, he probably liked the sound, that was enough.

They were being professional. Actually Bumblefoot recorded this one year before the band first approached him (2003).

Yea there were rumors that bumble audiotioned about a year before it was made official 

4 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

That's pretty easy. Because Matt is a Slash/Duff guy. Having him would shift the "power" momentum in the band. As it stands with Reed, Fortus and Ferrer, there are 3 Axl guys in the band. People, who are employed by Axl and presumably in his corner and have his back and thus give him a better feeling in the band. If Ferrer would get exchanged for Sorum that would shift (and probably bring some UYI memories back, of which he seems to not be too fond) the whole situation, especially last year, when they went into the reunion.

POWER + EGO + SELF-SABOTAGE = AXL ROSE   

patrickS77, you have a very impressive list of shows attended.  good on ya, mate.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Yea there were rumors that bumble audiotioned about a year before it was made official 

He audiotioned in 2004 and became a band member in 2006. 

17 hours ago, Mendez said:

"Matt Sorum is a wonderful guy and a terrific drummer, but he'll be the first one to tell you that he has the typical "drummer-who-wants-to-be-a-front-man" bug." - Duff

I would think that would be hard to work with when your drummer has a bit of an ego, especially when there are 2 other possible (Axl and Slash) major egos, and 1 possible minor ego (Duff) in the band.

You also have Scott Weiland, who although has a major habit of burning bridges, says that the only member who he was always at odds with in VR was Matt.

There also has to be some reason why Slash didn't have Matt drum on anything on his 1st solo album, while Izzy, Duff, and Adler played a part on it.

Of course, I'm just drawing my own conclusions, as I, along with everyone else, know jack shit about anything of this band

I don't think it's an ego thing even if sorum is big headed.

If you bring Sorum back, you have to think of Gilby in a way. Illusion era. There is Steven/Izzy and Richard/Frank (or bucket/brain if you look a it). Richard and Frank have been playing together since the 90s. Good musicians, very professionals, silent employees like Sorum and Gilby before.

• Like 1

Just now, Silent Jay said:

Good musicians, very professional, silent employees

i agree… i don't begrudge these guys for working for axl, they were paid well, they worked for their boss in fancy studios and traveled the world playing guns n' roses songs and their boss' solo songs.  i'm sure they're all good people and i wish them health and happiness, and i get that axl hired them to be "band members" so to a certain level i get why they go along with the charade of pretending to be legit members of a supposed band (one that doesn't rehearse with the singer/boss).  but they know and we know axl made a huge mistake when he tried to be guns n' roses by himself.  you don't just "hire" a band, that's not how it works, otherwise all of us on this forum would save up our money and then go start guns n' roses.  

Edited by Sunset Gardner
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sunset Gardner said:

i agree… i don't begrudge these guys for working for axl, they were paid well, they worked for their boss in fancy studios and traveled the world playing guns n' roses songs and their boss' solo songs.  i'm sure they're all good people and i wish them health and happiness, and i get that axl hired them to be "band members" so to a certain level i get why they go along with the charade of pretending to be legit members of a supposed band (one that doesn't rehearse with the singer/boss).  but they know and we know axl made a huge mistake when he tried to be guns n' roses by himself.  you don't just "hire" a band, that's not how it works, otherwise all of us on this forum would save up our money and then go start guns n' roses.  

There's no charade of pretenting anything, that's just the way a lot of bands are functioning, it's about surviving too. We've seen this so many times, a lot like to pretend that the current lineup is authentic while lineup changes are inevitable, and if one day maybe Duff couldn't perform, who else they gonna call to play along with Slash.

Just now, Silent Jay said:

There's no charade of pretenting anything, that's just the way a lot of bands are functioning, it's about surviving too. We've seen this so many times, a lot like to pretend that the current lineup is authentic while lineup changes are inevitable, and if one day maybe Duff couldn't perform, who else they gonna call to play along with Slash.

lineup changes are unauthentic to me unless the new member writes, records and contributes in a way in which is meaningful to the legacy of the band: the stones, the Eagles & ACDC are examples of bands that have had lineup changes where the new members defined their own era by creating new work on par with if not better than what existed in the band before they joined.

i like what the stones did when bill left… they got a new bassist but he's not a stone, he's not included in publicity pictures, etc.  it's classy.  seeing mick jagger sing stones songs with no members of the stones is not seeing the stones, it's seeing mick sing stones songs with a backing band, like it was axl singing gnr songs with a backing band.  

anyway, whatever, i'm rooting for richard because i fear izzy isn't coming back and i think richard is a great player, i wish he'd be a little more careful when talking about the men who wrote the songs he's made his living covering.  

Edited by Sunset Gardner

3 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

lineup changes are unauthentic to me unless the new member writes, records and contributes in a way in which is meaningful to the legacy of the band: the stones, the Eagles & ACDC are examples of bands that have had lineup changes where the new members defined their own era by creating new work on par with if not better than what existed in the band before they joined.

i like what the stones did when bill left… they got a new bassist but he's not a stone, he's not included in publicity pictures, etc.  it's classy.  seeing mick jagger sing stones songs with no members of the stones is not seeing the stones, it's seeing mick sing stones songs with a backing band, like it was axl singing gnr songs with a backing band.  

anyway, whatever, i'm rooting for richard because i fear izzy isn't coming back and i think richard is a great player, i wish he'd be a little more careful when talking about the men who wrote the songs he's made his living covering.  

Not up to Fortus when it comes to writing. He talked about this already, said all of it was done when he joined except Better so he added his chorus instrumental.

And he probably wrote a bunch of stuff for Axl. I'd say Axl chose well.

On ‎08‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 5:59 PM, shotsfired cro said:

Conclusion -

Things would have been so much better if Ax joined Kings of Chaos with Slash and Duff there with Matt...

No, not really. 

• Like 1

There it is.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Frank didn't click with Slash and Duff.  Yet they still went ahead with it.

Conclusion ?

Axl forced Frank (and Fortus) on them.

A real reunion (+Izzy/Matt) was never considered.

Axl let Slash and Duff join HIS band, only because he was a few members short...

How did it ever come to this :facepalm: ?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

There it is.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Frank didn't click with Slash and Duff.  Yet they still went ahead with it.

Conclusion ?

Axl forced Frank (and Fortus) on them.

A real reunion (+Izzy/Matt) was never considered.

Axl let Slash and Duff join HIS band, only because he was a few members short...

How did it ever come to this :facepalm: ?

It's NUGN'R 3.0 with Slash and Duff. Stay of Exection starts... soon

• Like 1

On 8 May 2017 at 11:59 PM, shotsfired cro said:

Conclusion -

Things would have been so much better if Ax joined Kings of Chaos with Slash and Duff there with Matt...

I think in a way he has, he's opened the door to that whole hard rock glam metal world by hanging with Slash/Duff. I mean I hear all those elements in CD, most/some don't, but he's in a more fun area now, pressures off, over to Slash!

• Like 1

I don't know why this is such a surprise to many.... they left for whatever reasons and rejoined the band due to bbf and Tommy leaving. Plain n simple. The only thing that changed was the size of the venues.

• Like 3

On 08/05/2017 at 11:36 PM, Sunset Gardner said:

I' dont know about Frank but Fortus is actually a good rock n' roll composer and could bring something cool to the band if given the oportunity. Its not his fault if Axl is nuts and dont want to release music. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ruttu69 said:

Yeah. I'm so glad that my favourite bands Nickelback, Creed & Jonas Brothers aren't that lame!

The lame- part was not  implying that their music is lame... but more about how they handle the media. In this case R. Fortus was talking about Duff and Slash like they were some hired guns. (pun intended)  Fortus seems to forget that he is a hired gun himself. 

On 5/7/2017 at 11:44 PM, RONIN said:

Were Duff/Slash on good terms with Matt after VR disbanded? I was under the impression Matt became increasingly difficult to work with towards the end of VR...

I got the impression that Duff was annoyed with how Matt dealt with Scott, with the challenging him to fights and such. 

6 hours ago, default_ said:

I' dont know about Frank but Fortus is actually a good rock n' roll composer and could bring something cool to the band if given the oportunity. Its not his fault if Axl is nuts and dont want to release music. 

wait till you hear what Izzy and Gilby brought to the table with Slash in the past

6 hours ago, Modano09 said:

I got the impression that Duff was annoyed with how Matt dealt with Scott, with the challenging him to fights and such. 

Exactly what I was thinking. Matt doesn't put up with any shit and is very up-front about it. The ego he has doesn't help much either. Matt probably sees himself as a star on the level of Duff and Slash. Axl wisely sidestepped that potential nightmare. No way would Matt have put up with Axl and TB's style of doing things.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 6:23 PM, Fourteenbeers said:

You could be right... and while we are talking about "lame" and "Coachella"... here's some proof why those two words belong together

white-girls-at-coachella-NyXu.jpg

A popular coffee table book circa 2065. (via ryot)

Coachella made me mad. all these youug kids just walking around through the concert, i bet not knowing full song then leaving during Nightrain cos they have no idea how concerts worked back when there were decent bands:facepalm:

1 hour ago, shotsfired cro said:

wait till you hear what Izzy and Gilby brought to the table with Slash in the past

Yeah, but Izzy and Gilby arent in the band so Fortus isnt actually bad. 

The guy has some stage presence issues? Yeah, but he is more than capable of doin the job if given the oportunity.