Fortus on Slash & Duff: 'I Think We All Agree It Clicked Instantly' [Update Page 7 - ''I Don't Think This Band Has Ever Sounded Better Than It Does Right Now'']

On 5/17/2017 at 7:11 AM, Rovim said:

I see Frank as the bridge between Steven and Matt stylistically speaking. Groovier than Sorum, more powerful than Steven, and so jolly, even when he fucks up. As good as a fit as Fortus is to be frank. I still want Popcorns N' Sorums cameos, but the shit Frank gets for his fuck ups and style is unwarranted.

Frank is clickable.

Groovier than Sorum is a huge misconception. There are groovier drummers on every block

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I wouldn't even say Frank is a poor mans Brain. There were likely better Brain clones out there but Frank was more convenient and  least likely to but heads. Brains groove and power especially his snare sound is unmatched 

Mall about the groove.

Believe it or not, Frank brings his own style to the sound of the band and groove is a part of it. No one compared brain, there are no clones. You can dislike the personality of Frank's playing, but he's groovy. (technically speaking)

Edited by Rovim

On 5/17/2017 at 4:04 PM, Sunset Gardner said:

i agree.  i do see sorum as a real member who earned his place.  i remember the first pictures to come out, the first videos with sorum and no steven… his poodle curls and drummer faces were very hard to look at and accept… but like i said, he earned it, he plays on some of my favorite songs.  it's a shame what a train wreck steven is because it distracts from what a unique stand alone drummer he is, watch a clip from the ritz 88 show to see steven peaking or even from the NITL tour… they just sound better with his swing… unfortunately he's a handful off stage and i get everyones trepidations about including him on this tour.  moving forward, now that's it's been established everyone can and will get along and play nice, i'd love to see steven included… and matt.  

frank definitely gets a lot of shit which sucks because he's clearly a good guy who wasn't about to pass up the money/gig to work for axl and be his drummer… and maybe he really was a great fit for axl's solo record and tours but he's just not gnr, there's something missing in my opinion, it's a feel thing, like maybe there isn't a word to describe it. 

i used to work in this restaurant in hollywood and matt used to come in (around the time of VR's first record).  he was always kind, always said please and thank you and ALWAYS left a generous tip and ALWAYS had a pretty girl on his arm.  matt's okay in my book.  

Yea the word you are looking for is simply chemistry and it can only be achieved by Slash and Duff picking their own drummer like when they picked Sorum, Tichy, Laug, Carpenter & Fitz 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Believe it or not, Frank brings his own style to the sound of the band and groove is a part of it. No one compared brain, there are no clones. You can dislike the personality of Frank's playing, but he's groovy. (technically speaking)

Not from what I've seen live dating back to 2006 and definitely not now as no amount of groove can mask the lack of chemistry with Slash and Duff. 

Would have to hear him on record as his contributions to cd have never been clear to me

24 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Far from being a hired hand, guitarist Richard Fortus has become an indispensable part of the Gun N’ Roses line-up.

"I don’t think this band has ever sounded better than it does right now." 

"Axl has never sounded better."

This is a joke right ? :facepalm:

"Far from being a hired hand"... "Indispensable" best joke ever :rofl-lol:

Edited by Padme
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, 2414225 said:

fortus statements are so american...

if everything is so awesome between them then why is nobody except him giving interviews?

Because just like everyone is doing now they tend to dissect and over think every thing said by them so just imagine if Axl, Slash or Duff gave any more interviews.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2414225 said:

fortus statements are so american...

if everything is so awesome between them then why is nobody except him giving interviews?

Because he is the one who does all the publicity work for the band?

Edited by Sosso

1 hour ago, BOSSY78 said:

Because just like everyone is doing now they tend to dissect and over think every thing said by them so just imagine if Axl, Slash or Duff gave any more interviews.

i agree, and i am certainly guilty myself, my issues stem from when the employees start talking like they were or are a band member. until richard does something substantial for the band he's just gilby's replacement (i believe in my heart that richard CAN do something substantial for the band if given the opportunity. i hope he gets it.)

my opinion, but i think they should do an interview at this point, i think it's time, i'd be fine with someone from team yes making the interviewer agree to not hit axl and slash with the hard curveballs that will pit them against one another… just some light questions about getting back together, maybe some light behind the scenes/onstage-offstage stuff… ROLLING STONE would lob them giant softballs because that's what rolling stone does when it interviews people… but i think a rolling stone cover story at this point would help reignite interest and sell whatever tickets are left, at least in the U.S. 

On 19.5.2017 at 11:41 AM, Top-Hatted One said:

Yea the word you are looking for is simply chemistry and it can only be achieved by Slash and Duff picking their own drummer like when they picked Sorum, Tichy, Laug, Carpenter & Fitz 

No, that's not the only way you can achieve chemistry. For example, session musicians sometimes click hard with artists they are hired to do an album with or go on tour. Richard had chemistry with Thin Lizzy. Frank was in a band with Richard before Guns. It's not perfect like Steven in Guns, but I don't think the chemistry do not exist between Frank and the high rollers. He's adequate imo, I'm not cumming in my pants everytime he plays KOHD, but most of the time I think he sounds fine with Slash and Duff.

Edit: also, you can have chemistry but it doesn't click right away which I think was what Fortus was getting at. There has to be something there to begin with and he made adjustments. Brain didn't do good enough when Tommy auditioned him, he needed a second try.

Just because you don't like Frank in Guns doesn't mean he shares zero chemistry with Slash and Duff.

Edit 2: plus they don't have to know what they want in order to have chemistry with one another even if he is an outside element. I'd say Frank is in the ballpark of say Dave Kushner. It might not be what came before it, but there's reaction.

Edited by Rovim

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

One example I'll give you is his criticisng shredders; now Nugnr have had at least two of those in their ranks at separate times.

But he fuckin' noodles for 10 minutes on KOHD and makes people suicidal at shows. If you're implying he wasn't into the older incarnations of new Guns, to that I say hell no.

It's just that Slash and Duff are something else. Probably Thin Lizzy levels for Fortus, he gets to play with Slash it's just too huge to compare. But he connected with Robin and he wasn't a shredder, he sometimes shreds himself and seems to enjoy playing Bucket's parts in Chinese Democracy for example.

You're making something out of noodling. Standard issue Daisy Guns opinion. And Slash can shred as well so bullshit no matter how you cut it. Richard's current gig is just better, doesn't mean the last one wasn't good for him too or that he didn't enjoy doing it with Bumble.

He was speeding himself long before he had to play Bucket parts. He's a session player at heart, he likes it all. He also said he appreciated Guns more after he played the tunes for long enough.

Edited by Rovim

36 minutes ago, Rovim said:

But he fuckin' noodles for 10 min on KOHD and makes people suicidal at shows. If you're implying he wasn't into the older incarnations of new Guns, to that I say hell no.

It's just that Slash and Duff are something else. Probably Thin Lizzy levels for Fortus, he gets to play with Slash it's just too huge to compare. But he connected with Robin and he wasn't a shredder, he sometimes shreds himself and seems to enjoy playing Bucket's parts in Chinese Democracy for example.

You're making something out of noodling. Standard issue Daisy Guns opinion. And Slash can shred as well so bullshit no matter how you cut it. Richard's current gig is just better, doesn't mean the last one wasn't good for him too or that he didn't enjoy doing it with Bumble.

He was speeding himself long before he had to play Bucket parts. He's a session player at heart, he likes it all. He also said he appreciated Guns more after he played the tunes for long enough.

I didn't say any of this. He is saying it.

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I didn't say any of this. He is saying it.

And I'm saying he's a versatile and highly adjustable player that enjoys dipping his toe in alien waters anyway, but this time it's jackpot time. He's playing with the big boys now, Slash and Duff! It's probably as huge as it's ever going to get for him.

Not surprising to me and the shred comments should not be taken seriously as I think he meant to highlight the importance of lyrical playing is all. Top priority, but it doesn't mean he doesn't like to fuck around.

Edited by Rovim

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

And I'm saying he's a versatile and highly adjustable player that enjoys dipping his toe in alien waters anyway, but this time it's jackpot time. He's playing with the big boys now, Slash and Duff! It's probably as huge as it's ever going to get for Richard.

Not surprising to me and the shred comments should not be taken seriously as I think he meant to highlight the importance of lyrical playing, that's all.

You do not have to interpret and over analyse here - just take him at his word,

This tour has exceeded anything that I’ve previously been a part of

I.e., Nugnr's tours

The band is tighter than it’s ever been

I.e.,  ''tighter than during Nugnr's various incarnations''

I don’t think this band has ever sounded better than it does right now. Axl has never sounded better and we’re tighter and more focused than ever.''

I.e, ''better than Nugnr. Axl sounds better than during Nugnr and more focused than during Nugnr''.

Upon Slash,

It’s not about it being some type of masturbatory showcase for your abilities; it’s about working together as a band. Supporting wherever the focus needs to be, not simply waiting for your turn to wank.

Bumblefoot and Buckethead were well known shredders, and he must be comparing Slash with somebody in order for the comparison to work?

^^^

All I know is you seem to have a tendency to take things way too literally in order to help you with your quest which is to take a piece of info that has the potential to detract and run with it.

Everything you need to know can be found in my previous posts in this thread. You are way off imo.

Edited by Rovim