Fortus on Slash & Duff: 'I Think We All Agree It Clicked Instantly' [Update Page 7 - ''I Don't Think This Band Has Ever Sounded Better Than It Does Right Now'']

5 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

And I'm not sure how you attempt to dispute facts that state Fortus is indeed the rythym guitarist of Guns.

1.) It's in the album Chinese Democracy liner notes

2.) Axl, in interviews, speaks of Fortus and everyone as band members- not touring musicians.

3.) The brochure at concerts states he is indeed in the band.

But disagree with facts, that's fine.

Agreed. There's no point in going back in forth, especially when you have facts on your side, and the other side needs to rationalize what they want to believe becaue it doesn't allign with the truth. In the end of the day, Slash and Duff rejpined GNR. End of story. There is nothing to change that fact.  

19 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

And I'm not sure how you attempt to dispute facts that state Fortus is indeed the rythym guitarist of Guns.

1.) It's in the album Chinese Democracy liner notes

2.) Axl, in interviews, speaks of Fortus and everyone as band members- not touring musicians.

3.) The brochure at concerts states he is indeed in the band.

But disagree with facts, that's fine.

1) Chinese Democracy is not a GNR album so this is pointless.

2) Axl says a lot of things but let's stick to the real world here. If Fortus is truly a band member, when do you think he will announce GNR's new single? Yeah, thought so.

3) Well, Chinese Democracy's cover has GNR on it but it's not really a GNR album. It's cool from the band to not use the term "hired/touring musician" to describe Fortus' role. He's been playing FOR Axl for years now, it's understandable. But like I said, let's stick to the real world. When will Fortus go to Jimmy Kimmel discuss the 30 years of AFD? Will he be part of the next meeting with Team Brazil to decide what's next for GNR? What do you think?

Regardless of everything you said, it's pretty obvious Richard is a hired touring musician. In the Dead Daisies he writes, plays, releases, promotes and is free to talk about their plans. He is a member of the band. In GNR he's a hired session player so all he does is cover Izzy's parts live.

Edited by maynard
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, maynard said:

2) Axl says a lot of things but let's stick to the real world here. If Fortus is truly a band member, when do you think he will announce GNR's new single? Yeah, thought so.

3) Well, Chinese Democracy's cover has GNR on it but it's not really a GNR album.

Regardless of everything you said, it's pretty obvious Richard is a hired touring musician. In the Dead Daisies he writes, plays, releases, promotes and is free to talk about their plans. He is a member of the band. In GNR he's a hired session player so all he does is cover Izzy's parts live.

Are you really interested in having 10+ year old arguments with me on this forum? Chinese Democracy is indisputably a Guns album. Band members get replaced. It may not be your GN'R or what you wanted or imagined Guns to be years ago but it still is a Guns n' Roses album. 

This argument is derailing the thread so I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, but however, my main argument still stands tall. Richard Fortus is a band member of Guns n' Roses. So is Melissa Reese, Frank Ferrer, and Dizzy Reed. You can argue it or disagree with it but they are facts. Again, to avoid derailing the thread we can agree to disagree.

8 minutes ago, maynard said:

3) Well, Chinese Democracy's cover has GNR on it but it's not really a GNR album.

What do you do ti make it feel better when GNR plays chinese demeocracy , better, this I love, or any of the other CD songs they perform nightly? DO you plug your ears and pretend the big bad chinese democracy songs go away?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

This argument is derailing the thread.

I made this thread and this actual argument is always welcome. It doesn't bother me in the least. It's still about Richard and Guns N' Roses in the end. And there are cohesive arguments on both sides.

Edited by Silent Jay

1 minute ago, Silent Jay said:

I made this thread and this actual argument is always welcome. It doesn't bother me in the least. It's still about Richard and Guns N' Roses in the end.

I was moreso referring to the discussion we've been having for nearly two decades about Chinese Democracy being a guns album :P

1 minute ago, ohmygod said:

What do you do ti make it feel better when GNR plays chinese demeocracy , better, this I love, or any of the other CD songs they perform nightly? DO you plug your ears and pretend the big bad chinese democracy songs go away?

I think it's a great gesture from Slash and Duff to cover those songs. After all, Axl said they're his favorite songs. Better is a good song but Axl sounds like shit on it, all the others are crap so plugging ears is not a bad idea. I wish they would remove all the CD covers and other covers from the setlist.

Slither is in their setlist so they all agreed to cover each other's solo songs. Too bad Slither is yet to be played. But it's a VR cover. CD, Better and TIL are Axl's songs, not GNR songs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Is it though? I still don't know, I think so.

Everyone's allowed to have their opinions and considerations on if it's a Guns album, in technicality it is a Guns album. Even if I understand everyone's arguments, it's under the name, has the same lead singer and keyboardist from the Illusion era and keep in mind the Axl/Paul collaborations were also during the UYI era. Band members get replaced, so in technicality it is a Guns n' Roses album, simply just not accepted as one by the public.

16 minutes ago, maynard said:

I think it's a great gesture from Slash and Duff to cover those songs. After all, Axl said they're his favorite songs. Better is a good song but Axl sounds like shit on it, all the others are crap so plugging ears is not a bad idea. I wish they would remove all the CD covers and other covers from the setlist.

Slither is in their setlist so they all agreed to cover each other's solo songs. Too bad Slither is yet to be played. But it's a VR cover. CD, Better and TIL are Axl's songs, not GNR songs.

One last question here as I refuse to go in circles.

What offends you so much about GNR carrying on post 1994? Seriously. I think that is what intrigues me most. I mean Izzy had no problem joining them countless times on stage. Duff saw no issue with it and even opened for GNR with his band, then toured with GNR after to fill in for Tommy. Slash sees no issue playing GNR songs he wasn't a part of. So if these guys were able to not only recognize it, but participate in it without caveat... What makes it so difficult for you as a fan to come to terms with the fact that GNR continued on and recognize it.

I'm asking a serious question so i'd really appreciate an honest answer.

10 hours ago, Sosso said:

Of course he is. 

Fortus is NOT GNR...believe me, I did support the different nu lineups, Fortus had nothing to do with what made Guns N Roses what they were, and he still won't in the future. And the only reason he's still there, is because he doesn't have the decency or respect to quit on his own.

1 minute ago, ohmygod said:

One last question here as I refuse to go in circles.

What offends you so much about GNR carrying on post 1994? Seriously. I think that is what intrigues me most. I mean Izzy had no problem joining them countless times on stage. Duff saw no issue with it and even opened for GNR with his band, then toured with GNR after to fill in for Tommy. Slash sees no issue playing GNR songs he wasn't a part of. So if these guys were able to not only recognize it, but participate in it without caveat... What makes it so difficult for you as a fan to come to terms with the fact that GNR continued on and recognize it.

I'm asking a serious question so i'd really appreciate an honest answer.

Nah, it's alright. I'm just saying that Axl's band is a solo project and not GNR. That's it. He got the name and took total control of the project. This is not how a band operates. That's all I'm saying. That's why I keep asking: If this is a band and Fortus is a member, will he announce a new single in a talk show? Will he be in the cover of a guitar magazine discussing the songs he wrote for a future GNR release? See? That's all I'm saying.

GNR broke up in 1994. Axl started a solo band using the GNR name. In 2016, Axl, Slash and Duff reformed GNR. They play Axl songs, they might play a VR song... They enjoy doing covers.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:32 PM, Sosso said:

Some people have to calm down about him. Izzy is not available so Richard is the next best thing. That guy deserves more respect.

Isn't it possible to like them both?

Again, I do like them both. The problem is, Izzy actually is in fact, available. He always was. He just wants his cut of the loot, which he has a case for. And believe me, I'm more than fine with Fortus being in this lineup ad having a role but, he shouldn't take precedence over Izzy just because he was loyal to the Buckethead/Bumblefoot eras. Nothing came from that, except for Chinese Democracy, and we never even got one freaking music video from that incredibly over hyped album. This isn't about that band... it's being labeled a "reunion" of the lineup people cared about, which is the 1985-1993 era of GNR.

Fortus deserves more respect over Izzy, for being an Axl yes man? Not sure I can agree with that...

Edited by Billsfan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, maynard said:

Nah, it's alright. I'm just saying that Axl's band is a solo project and not GNR. That's it. He got the name and took total control of the project. This is not how a band operates. That's all I'm saying. That's why I keep asking: If this is a band and Fortus is a member, will he announce a new single in a talk show? Will he be in the cover of a guitar magazine discussing the songs he wrote for a future GNR release? See? That's all I'm saying.

GNR broke up in 1994. Axl started a solo band using the GNR name. In 2016, Axl, Slash and Duff reformed GNR. They play Axl songs, they might play a VR song... They enjoy doing covers.

I disagree... but i respect your POV. How would your view change if GNR released a new album with CD leftovers and just slash and duff putting on their parts. Axl has elluded to this. Would you then think that Slash and Duff didn't record a Guns N Roses album, but rather a pre 2016 Axl album, and thus not consider it Guns N Roses?

Edited by ohmygod

9 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Everyone's allowed to have their opinions and considerations on if it's a Guns album, in technicality it is a Guns album. Even if I understand everyone's arguments, it's under the name, has the same lead singer and keyboardist from the Illusion era and keep in mind the Axl/Paul collaborations were also during the UYI era. Band members get replaced, so in technicality it is a Guns n' Roses album, simply just not accepted as one by the public.

It was meant as a joke and maybe we really are derailing my thread, but I agree.

Even if the band hadn't broken up and had to try to get along with Paul Tobias, songs were doomed to be made, at least the backbone of it. This I Love was always a contender no matter what, probably Catcher In The Rye, Street Of Dreams, There Was A Time, I.R.S. or Prostitute too. Axl/Paul/Dizzy songs.

4 hours ago, Silent Jay said:
  • Gilby Clarke has appeared on "The Spaghetti Incident?" (+Live Era: '87-'93) = Zero original Guns N' Roses track.
  • "The Spaghetti Incident?" was a cover album, with only cover songs.
  • Richard Fortus has appeared on Chinese Democracy (+Appetite For Democracy), an album that contain original Guns N' Roses songs.

#Facts

As someone who obviously supports Axl solo band, do you really feel YOU are in a position to throw around the term 'coversongs' ??? :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

I disagree... but i respect your POV. How would your view change if GNR released a new album with CD leftovers and just slash and duff putting on their parts. Axl has elluded to this. Would you then think that Slash and Duff didn't record a Guns N Roses album, but rather a pre 2016 Axl album, and thus not consider it Guns N Roses?

I think Slash and Duff are core GNR members and it would be hard to disregard the album as just another Axl album.

I for sure wouldn't like it. It would be a Frankestein album just like CD. Vox from 99, Brain on drums on choruses then Frank plays the verses... then there's a Pitman synth solo and Slash and Duff just fucking around over it. That would certainly be a hybrid GNR/Axl album and it certainly would suck. But it would be mor GNR than CD for sure.

2 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

As someone who obviously supports Axl solo band, do you really feel YOU are in a position to throw around the term 'coversongs' ??? :facepalm:

Chinese Democracy had one original member at all of the songs. “TSI?“ had no original members at some of the songs. 

26 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

You wanna talk 'technicalities' ?

Please apply your logic to the LA Guns situation, where there were in fact TWO bands out there proclaiming to be LA Guns ???

That was a preposterous situation, as preposterous as what Axl has been doing to the GNR name since about '96...

3 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

You wanna talk 'technicalities' ?

Please apply your logic to the LA Guns situation, where there were in fact TWO bands out there proclaiming to be LA Guns ???

That was a preposterous situation, as preposterous as what Axl has been doing to the GNR name since about '96...

Well, at least they will release new material this year. You can't say the same about Tracii's ex-band.

43 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I was moreso referring to the discussion we've been having for nearly two decades about Chinese Democracy being a guns album :P

Chinese Democracy, working title: You snooze you lose - is not Guns N' Roses album. It's Offspring album...:P

The Offspring probably didn't get Axl Rose's vote for naming their new album Chinese Democracy.

The Orange County, California, punkers snatched the title from Guns N' Roses' long-awaited and much-delayed album, according to a band spokesperson.

"You snooze you lose," Offspring singer Dexter Holland said in a statement. "Axl ripped off my braids, so I ripped off his album title."

Holland referred to Rose's new hairstyle, which was premiered at last year's MTV Video Music Awards (see "Guns N' Roses Cap Night Of Spectacles From Diddy, Eminem, Timberlake"). Holland, meanwhile, has long since retired the 'do he rocked during Offspring's breakthrough LP, 1994's Smash.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1470891/guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-snatched-by-offspring/

• Like 1