Do you have any weird interests?

john lennon

Like, things you could sit around watching documentaries about or read about or do but that other people would just go ??? about? 

Like, I'm really into psychology, right? Not weird at all, but it does get weird when I read the 3 first issues of the DSM because I just have to know what happened to hysteria (it became histrionic personality disorder, if you wished to know). I had done some substances tho and I wouldn't have done it otherwise. 

Star Wars. I don't talk about it a lot with others, but my interest is too high for an almost 20 year old guy. To be fair though, I'm more interested in the logical side of stuff in the SW universe (example- not what happened, but why it happened and how).

Other than that, I'd have to say weather. Ever since I was a kid, I'd get excited whenever a storm would roll in and I would sit there and watch it. I still do sometimes if it's a strong enough storm

Edited by Gibson_Guy87

8 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Star Wars. I don't talk about it a lot with others, but my interest is too high for an almost 20 year old guy. To be fair though, I'm more interested in the logical side of stuff in the SW universe (example- not what happened, but why it happened and how).

I used to be into SW alot like this but I've kinda grown out of it within the last year or so.

so I guess my current weird hobbies are releasing shitty iPhone-recorded music, wasting time watching hour-long movie news podcasts, attempting to write a novel (people think I'm crazy when I tell them I'm writing a book) and, like Len said, posting on a forum for a shitty rock band. 

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, john lennon said:

I just have to know what happened to hysteria (it became histrionic personality disorder, if you wished to know). 

Classic hysteria likely never existed as a fully fleshed out and understood illness. It was a blanket term used to apply specifically to women with wide ranges of behavioral problems. Essentially it was a way to diagnose uppity women as crazy.

"Women considered to have had it exhibited a wide array of symptoms, including faintness, nervousness, sexual desire, insomnia, fluid retention, heaviness in the abdomen, shortness of breath, irritability, loss of appetite for food or sex, and a "tendency to cause trouble".[1]"

I think that's correct iirc. Hysteria hasn't been in the DSM for a while.

5 hours ago, wasted said:

My grandad had bird books and kept peacocks in backyard. Birds were the Xbox of the 1950s. 

i love peacocks! i have all sorts of peacock stuff; statues, figurines, paintings, a very old peacock tapestry...just tons of stuff.

as to live peacocks, one day i came home from work and there was a peacock in my front yard! i foolishly thought i could lure it into my truck then drive around and ask people if they were missing one :lol: i went inside to get some bread to help me get him into the truck and when i came back outside his owner was there. he explained that poor Mr. Peacock had left in disgrace because he and another male peacock were fighting over a female peahen and he got his peacock arse kicked! he looked embarrassed as the owner told the tale! i did get some feathers that had come off him.... :P 

Ancient and medieval astrology. Sun-signs I can't help you with. How people predicted plagues, revolutions, and economics by Jupiter-Saturn cycles, ingresses, and eclipses or those horaries Sahl ibn Bishr was doing at 2:30 am in Bagdhad all those centuries ago - I'm your guy. This has become marginally, marginally more acceptable in some parts of academia, but it's still pretty weird.  Unrepentant.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mishan said:

Ancient and medieval astrology. Sun-signs I can't help you with. How people predicted plagues, revolutions, and economics by Jupiter-Saturn cycles, ingresses, and eclipses or those horaries Sahl ibn Bishr was doing at 2:30 am in Bagdhad all those centuries ago - I'm your guy. This has become marginally, marginally more acceptable in some parts of academia, but it's still pretty weird.  Unrepentant.

that sounds absolutely fascinating!

2 hours ago, AslatIE said:

Conspiracy theories ala Area 51 and such. I like to think about those things.

No flat earth or 9/11 conspiracies in here though ;) 

i have passed the exit for Area 51 many times. yet i live here about a year and a half and have already seen things i can't identify. am i going to say they were UFO's for sure? no-o-ooo but if i disappear...:scared:

• Like 1