Duran Duran

Lucky girl

14 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

This was a cool mash- up of Some Like it Hot and Election Day from 1989. Simon apparently stole Michael Hutcheence's hairstyle.

Absolute quality! Le Bon's hair! :lol:

17 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

And yes, Robert Palmer was the definition of suave in the 80s.

He was indeed, love him in that video. :shades:

5 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Another cool song. Spin-off bands were good as well.

:heart: the 80's

Yes! Their spin off bands made just as good music as the original bands. Those DD guys could do everything, seriously! What talent they have....God, I love the 80's. Best.music.ever. :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Yes! Their spin off bands made just as good music as the original bands. Those DD guys could do everything, seriously! What talent they have....God, I love the 80's. Best.music.ever. :)

Very true, Election Day is just an amazing tune! This next bloke was only in the original band two minutes and went on to write one of the best Pop songs of the 80's! :lol:

The 80's :shades:

Edited by bucketfoot

13 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

I did. While he's had massive fame he has remained very down to earth, just a normal guy without a big ego. (I think that's what you meant?:lol:)

Yeah! Perfect conclusion.Nowadays Axl behave better than past but he has still a little mega rock star lifestyle, person intangible as Madonna, Michel Jackson

Talking about music. The power of DD songs isnt guittar,  bass and keyboards shine some songs Sax too. Well,  Do you can imagine how spetacular would be if Slash had did solo on"View to Kill", "Hungry like the wolf," and other songs ??? 

I guess in early they could suffer prejudice, but  even in the beginning with beautiful faces as boy band´s members, the DD lyrics are mature. They always showed great shows ...always excellent musicians

As GNR fan and Axl Lover I confession I feel envy cause I´d like Axl did half what DD made

This video Simon sing as alternative rock group 

Edited by Lucky girl
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lucky girl said:

Talking about music. The power of DD songs isnt guittar,  bass and keyboards shine some songs Sax too. Well,  Do you can imagine how spetacular would be if Slash had did solo on"View to Kill", "Hungry like the wolf," and other songs ???

Yeah, it would be great but as you say, they aren't really a guitar band overall, although they did go in a more rock direction in the 90's on The Wedding Album, this song rocks for instance and is funky as hell! Love the chorus in it!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lucky girl said:

What he said about GNR at 48´´. I guess i understand but i need transcription to have sure.

Just making a joke. He probably means the members of GN'R who are friends with Duran Duran, he'll be talking about Duff and Matt, I would think.

Edited by bucketfoot
  • Like 1

I absolutely love this band. I started a thread on them in the past so this isn't the first thread on them here. ;)

Saw them twice last year and they are one of the best live bands I've ever seen. I admittedly didn't care for Paper Gods as much as All You Need Is Now but it's still a good effort from the band and proves they haven't lost the creative edge. Live they are as good as ever.

My favorite album is probably Seven and the Ragged Tiger followed by Rio. Outside of TMI, Ordinary World, and Come Undone I find that I don't dig The Wedding Album as much as most fans. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, James Bond said:

I absolutely love this band. I started a thread on them in the past so this isn't the first thread on them here. ;)

Saw them twice last year and they are one of the best live bands I've ever seen. I admittedly didn't care for Paper Gods as much as All You Need Is Now but it's still a good effort from the band and proves they haven't lost the creative edge. Live they are as good as ever.

This may have been my favorite tour and I've been going since 1987. You can feel a genuine connection between the band and the audience. The die hard fans know all the nuisances of certain songs and the band seems to feed off of that. At this point, the fans have their own favorite songs that are connected to certain memories in their life and so every song gets a pretty strong reaction. Plus, the songs just hold up against time, unlike say, Aha or Thompson Twins.  To me, all these things put them in the music legend category.

The one thing that does make me laugh is the comments on Facebook about their setlist.  Sound familiar to another band?  Lol.  In the 2003 shows they did Friends of Mine, Nightboat, Beautiful Colours and a few other older songs, which was really nice.   This is "Friends of Mine" from that year  at 4:10 Simon says the line "My God, you're getting old" and when I saw them he really hammed it up and looked out at the audience and it was a cool little moment, especially since it was the opening song  

14 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Very true, Election Day is just an amazing tune! This next bloke was only in the original band two minutes and went on to write one of the best Pop songs of the 80's! :lol:

The 80's :shades:

I forgot about this song.  Poor Stephen Duffy. Although he's probably rich from this song alone anyway. ?

10 hours ago, Lucky girl said:

What he said about GNR at 48´´. I guess i understand but i need transcription to have sure.

That's Paula Yates, right?  So much sadness for that family. I loved her just for naming her  kids Peaches and Fiji Trixabel. 

Edited by Fansince88
Not awake yet

50 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

I forgot about this song.  Poor Stephen Duffy. Although he's probably rich from this song alone anyway. ?

Yeah, he's probably done ok from that one song alone to be fair. It still gets played quite often on various radio stations over here in the UK, one of those songs that when you hear it, sticks in your head all day. :lol:

44 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

That's Paula Yates, right?  So much sadness for that family. I loved her just for naming her  kids Peaches and Fiji Trixabel. 

That's Paula, yeah. Don't forget Pixie and Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily.

Edit: Just noticed your reason for edit:lol:

Edited by bucketfoot
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lucky girl said:
  Reveal hidden contents

They deserve to be inducted into  Rock & Roll Hall of fame.
I ask myself how this didnt happen yet if Madonna, MJ and other pop artist were?

Good point. Also, Pop/Disco artists like The Bee Gees and ABBA have been inducted previously, as well as plenty of others you wouldn't call Rock and Roll. Depeche Mode were nominated in the long list for this years ceremony but failed to be inducted, so I think it could be a while before Duran Duran are. Maybe one day?

7 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

Is Andy the Izzy of Double D?? 

Andy's wrote his autobiography a few years ago (as did John Taylor) and it seems like there is still a lot of bitterness - especially between him and Nick. Although he says it happened differently, the band claims he just never showed up to start work on Red Carpet Massacre. In a way he could be the Izzy in DD - never thought of it that way (meaning that he's probably unlikely to rejoin the band, not that Izzy didn't show up for a recording). 

7 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

In a way yes...sure wish I could have seen Andy in concert. :(

I got to see the Power Station.  I was young - maybe 12 or 13 - and my wonderful Mom surprised me with tickets during a really really rough school year. I cannot even begin to explain how deafening it was.  You know those videos of the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan and the girls screaming?  That was a church service compared to Power Station. :lol: My ears rang for a week from the screaming.  And  it was fucking great!  

I did get to see the reunion in 2003 and seeing the original five together was a bucket list moment. I felt like I really truly saw the band from my youth and  I can understand why it's so important to so many of GNR fans to have Izzy and Steven back for a tour.  

And this song was like Duran made their own mix tape. 

Edited by Fansince88
Too early to work technology properly
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

Is Andy the Izzy of Double D?? 

15 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

In a way yes...sure wish I could have seen Andy in concert. :(

8 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Andy's wrote his autobiography a few years ago (as did John Taylor) and it seems like there is still a lot of bitterness - especially between him and Nick.

Andy was always the 'Rock' one in the band and it wasn't really surprising that he left to do his own thing, he did some good solo stuff as well and I think the epicness of his hair alone in these videos show where he was at during that moment of his life. :lol:

He also produced some of the best British rock albums of the late 80's/early 90's with bands such as Thunder and The Almighty. :headbang:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bucketfoot said:

Andy was always the 'Rock' one in the band and it wasn't really surprising that he left to do his own thing, he did some good solo stuff as well and I think the epicness of his hair alone in these videos show where he was at during that moment of his life. :lol:

He also produced some of the best British rock albums of the late 80's/early 90's with bands such as Thunder and The Almighty. :headbang:

Andy's look is so "I'm going to move to LA and be a rock star" , it makes me laugh hysterically to see. Sadly, the bands he produced never really made it in the US.  

I know he also worked with Rod Stewart on the Out of Order album, but I'm not sure if that is his guitar playing on Forever Young or if he was only a producer for it.  

4 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Andy's look is so "I'm going to move to LA and be a rock star" , it makes me laugh hysterically to see. Sadly, the bands he produced never really made it in the US.  

I know he also worked with Rod Stewart on the Out of Order album, but I'm not sure if that is his guitar playing on Forever Young or if he was only a producer for it.  

Steve Jones' look from around that time is brilliant as well! They both just suddenly became hair metallers! :lol: In the 2nd vid he could literally be Bon Jovi and in the 3rd... well... he's got a 'Dog The Bounty Hunter' thing going on. He's a North East of England lad as well, much like myself, which for some reason makes it even more hilarious that he went full on L.A. rocker (saying that, if I'd been a few years older, I would probably have been sporting a similarly ridiculous barnet, such was my love of hair metal in those days) :lol:

• Like 1