Duran Duran

Lucky girl

12 hours ago, Lucky girl said:

The visual has chenged (normal for everyone) 

The voice i didnt notice big changes
My prefer SLB  style´s are 93 and 98 years

I find that from about 1998 to 2001 there was a marked change in Simon's voice. I think the writer's block and John Taylor leaving the band really got to him. There's a more melancholy vibe to his voice and those are the only years I can listen to bootlegs from and notice him really missing notes - not necessarily in this video but in general. I think he was just drained.

Otherwise, his voice hasn't changed too much over time. If anything, it's gotten better. His voice itself matured and he obviously learned how to become a better technical singer.

I think on the Paper Gods tour he's only really struggled with the chorus of A View To A Kill on some nights.

The visual has chenged (normal for everyone) 

The voice i didnt notice big changes
My prefer SLB  style´s are 93 and 98 years

His voice is absolutely golden. Seriously, Le Bon is one of the best live singers ever. :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

Best bond theme 

Indeed it is. It often shows up at #1 on any the lists that rank the bond themes.

Is anyone old enough to remember "View to A Kill" at Live Aid?

10 hours ago, James Bond said:

Simon sounds better there than any 2016 performance of this song I've heard, but man, John really needs to shut up in the chorus. :lol:

Somewhere on the Paper Gods tour John crossed over to the "sings, dresses and dances like a dad" zone.  :lol: But he still plays an awesome bass. 

And in light of all that is happening in the world recently, just wanted to share this from last year. If you have a minute or two, listen what Simon says before introducing "Save A Prayer". So poignant and true.

• Like 1

yes, i agreed Simon sounds very good, but it's clearly he needs help on chorus...
Simon always had nice timbre  but he hasn't had a power to reach high notes as Axl, George Micheal, Rick Astley...

Save a prayer has one of the most amazing live performances i've had been seen

when radio plays i don't care much , its a kind of music that  grow up live

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

LMAO

:lol: I had to do something to celebrate Rick getting a mention.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

I think that's the first time I've ever seen Axl Rose and Rick Astley mentioned in the same sentence :lol:

First AND last I would think! :lol:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

LMAO

@Lucky girl -- I think that's the first time I've ever seen Axl Rose and Rick Astley mentioned in the same sentence :lol:

they were born at same day 6th february LOL Rick is yourger 

I saw Rick in the only time he was in Brazil, It was fantastic great band, he was a Justin Bieber/ Ed Sheeran of my teenage but much better  LOL

13 minutes ago, Lucky girl said:

they were born at same day 6th february LOL Rick is yourger 

I saw Rick in the only time he was in Brazil, It was fantastic great band, he was a Justin Bieber/ Ed Sheeran of my teenage but much better  LOL

I didn't even know he still toured!  Kudos to anyone who can still do what they love 25 years after they started.  And of course, the millennials have "rickrolling" now so he's kind of "known" once again.  

And speaking of the old days, here's a rather funkier/jazzier version of Hungry Like the Wolf from 1987. At the time, it was really strange to hear a song I knew so well played with horns etc, but now I rather enjoy it.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

I didn't even know he still toured!  Kudos to anyone who can still do what they love 25 years after they started.  And of course, the millennials have "rickrolling" now so he's kind of "known" once again.  

And speaking of the old days, here's a rather funkier/jazzier version of Hungry Like the Wolf from 1987. At the time, it was really strange to hear a song I knew so well played with horns etc, but now I rather enjoy it.  

Love that version. Simon really stretches his vocals and Steve Ferrone's drumming is top notch.

• Like 2

On 27/05/2017 at 1:54 PM, Fansince88 said:

That's a fantastic version of HLTW, I think I might even prefer it to the original. Very funky, very cool. :shades:

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/05/2017 at 10:52 PM, Lucky girl said:

Yes, Northern Kings did good job. However while i was listening other covers I reflectioned how DD musicians are talented,  HOW  fucking HARD are compose good arrangements.pop.

I became a GNR just because there werent only screams and drums without harmony. Do you know band play as horse racing?

to be a metal/ alternative like some of them on the list are "easy"

I became a GNR just because there werent only screams and drums without harmony. Do you know band play as horse racing?

Im complety agreed. I dont like metal band who sing as crazy  horse racing and t's so good can to appreciate good musicians. GNR is a hard rock band that we can heard a bass, solo guitrar, drums so Defined and harmony.

to me in terms of  part instrumental  some DD songs would be a GNR´song  with a more heavy touch because the bass and drums are similary 

I imagine how amazing ordinary world" would be with Slash intro solo

Even DD has a "boyband" look in the early years   the lyrics are smart

11 hours ago, Lucky girl said:

Im complety agreed. I dont like metal band who sing as crazy  horse racing and t's so good can to appreciate good musicians. GNR is a hard rock band that we can heard a bass, solo guitrar, drums so Defined and harmony.

to me in terms of  part instrumental  some DD songs would be a GNR´song  with a more heavy touch because the bass and drums are similary 

I imagine how amazing ordinary world" would be with Slash intro solo

Even DD has a "boyband" look in the early years   the lyrics are smart

Their lyrics were always what set them apart from the other bands of their time - Wham, Devo, Culture Club, early Madonna. Those artists had some good songs, but it was never close to the poetry of Duran Duran.  I liked all of those bands in the 80s, but I could care less if I hear "Material Girl" or "Come on Eileen" again.  But songs like "Save a Prayer", "Lonely in Your Nightmare" and a lot of the stuff from "Notorious" are just timeless because they are still easy to connect to.  

• Like 1