Has anyone heard the 25 min version of NR?

44 minutes ago, Mendez said:

Duff talks at 5:37

TOTALLY off topic but the guitar/whistling bit that they got going on here really is awesome. I wondered, when I first saw this, if it was a way of sneaking new music in. 

2 minutes ago, soon said:

I think these are good pieces of info.  And again, I'm fine if Matts mistaken.  

But Duff doesnt speak to the origin of the song.  He just says it took some work.  Any song could be really edited or be the out-come of what was once a full opera and you could still say the same as duff said.

Duff, almost dead in this clip, makes the false claim that "piano you can go soft to hard with in a second, and er ah, guitars ya know, you gotta be more subtle."   I only quote him to point out that what he's saying is absolutely false.  And Nirvana at the time should have been plenty to remind him. 

Also, At 5 minutes, right before you drop us in, Matt has an interesting comment regarding Estranged and Novemebr Rain : "these two songs really are similar"  Could be nothing.  Could be a diplomatic phrasing. Or he still could be mistaken and speaking from the perspective of his confusion. 

So, its good info t illumine the discussion, but I dont know that it demonstrate much.

Matt says they are similar in that they are an emotional release on Axl's part.

I added this to my post, but I'll post it here too.

"We had twenty-seven songs to record, and some of them---like "November Rain," "Coma", and "Locomotive"---were epic in length. Matt had to learn all the songs in rehearsals and make charts of them for the recording sessions." - Duff

So November Rain was already complete when Matt came in.

""Estranged" was a song that Axl had been working out on piano for a long time---he'd been playing the same parts over and over in Chicago and afterward; it was clear that it was working itself out in his head. I had started writing guitar parts for it back in Chicago, so it came together in no time once we focused on it. "November Rain" has been ready to go on Appetite for Destrcution, but since we already had "Sweet Child o' Mine", the majority of us agreed that we didn't need another ballad. Besides, the original demo of that song was eighteen minutes long, give or take, and none of us cared to conquer it in the studio at that point." - Slash

What I deduce from this is that November Rain was already basically finished, and that Axl brought in Estranged later on, at the very least focusing on it in Chicago.

15 minutes ago, Mendez said:

Matt says they are similar in that they are an emotional release on Axl's part.

I added this to my post, but I'll post it here too.

"We had twenty-seven songs to record, and some of them---like "November Rain," "Coma", and "Locomotive"---were epic in length. Matt had to learn all the songs in rehearsals and make charts of them for the recording sessions." - Duff

So November Rain was already complete when Matt came in.

""Estranged" was a song that Axl had been working out on piano for a long time---he'd been playing the same parts over and over in Chicago and afterward; it was clear that it was working itself out in his head. I had started writing guitar parts for it back in Chicago, so it came together in no time once we focused on it. "November Rain" has been ready to go on Appetite for Destrcution, but since we already had "Sweet Child o' Mine", the majority of us agreed that we didn't need another ballad. Besides, the original demo of that song was eighteen minutes long, give or take, and none of us cared to conquer it in the studio at that point." - Slash

What I deduce from this is that November Rain was already basically finished, and that Axl brought in Estranged later on, at the very least focusing on it in Chicago.

its certainly evidence that NR was complete. But so many factors make me take Duff and Slashs words with a grain of salt.  Duff just said that pianos are more capable of going soft to loud - he said this during the height of Nirvanas rule, for instance.

The band could have NR fleshed out and not Estranged.  Could be that simple.

They may well have always been two songs, but I dont think these quotes demonstrate that definitively.

Edited by soon

14 hours ago, Tadsy said:

This is probably a dumb question, but I've had a couple of frothies and never really start threads and this question has been burning me for a bit. 

So they recorded the 25min version but has anyone ever heard it? And if so... Where can I find it? 

Sorry and cheers in advance peeps

never heard of it but i NEED to now! :P 

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

It's probably just 15 extra minutes of Axl saying "Again and again and again and again and again..."

HA! too frickin' funny! :lol:

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

It's probably just 15 extra minutes of Axl saying "Again and again and again and again and again..."

hehehe niiiiiiiice! ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zurimor said:

There are plenty of great songs which are much longer than original NR. Actually there are plenty of songs which wouldn't work as a 5 minute piece. Supper's ready by Genesis is probably the most popular one, Grendel by Marillion another one which comes to mind, also The World by Pendragon and many, many more. :)

Probably. In my case less is more, I'm a fan of simpler things.

Has anyone, heard the 17 minute version of Welcome To The Jungle? The first 13 minutes is just Slash repeating the opening riff in the studio, doing the "Call and response" Hulk Hogan hand to ear listening gesture between the playing of each riff... a 13 minute tease intro. You may have seen this performed on stage in later years by DJ Ashba, who as a young boy, was working as a janitor during the AFD studio sessions, and was so impressed by watching Slash do it in the studio, that he copied it on stage when he became a member of GNR 20 years later. He even copied his trademark top hat!