Has anyone heard the 25 min version of NR?

This is probably a dumb question, but I've had a couple of frothies and never really start threads and this question has been burning me for a bit. 

So they recorded the 25min version but has anyone ever heard it? And if so... Where can I find it? 

Sorry and cheers in advance peeps

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soon said:

Is the 25 minute one the one that had November Rain and Estranged as one song?

Ive heard Sorum say that they were originally one song when he joined.

Oh, come on. This can't be real. 

7 hours ago, Tadsy said:

This is probably a dumb question, but I've had a couple of frothies and never really start threads and this question has been burning me for a bit. 

So they recorded the 25min version but has anyone ever heard it? And if so... Where can I find it? 

Sorry and cheers in advance peeps

Noooooooooo!!! :scared:

Don't give him ideas!!!

7 hours ago, soon said:

35 minutes ago, 2414225 said:

Oh, come on. This can't be real. 

I know its true Matt said it.  I don't of course know if its true in general.

He says it at around 17:20

But starting at 15 minutes is probably good

first google hit was this very forum talking.  haven't read it through though.  probably useful stuff I trust.

9 hours ago, soon said:

I wouldn't think so. Slash said they had been working on it since before AFD, and Axl said that one day he just dreamt the piano melody for Estranged

Edited by Mendez

26 minutes ago, Mendez said:

I wouldn't think so. Slash said they had been working on it since before AFD, and Axl said that one day he just dreamt the piano melody for Estranged

It may or may not have been one demo. Axl and Slash could have been working on what came to be estranged for sometime either way. So you figure Matt is mistaken?  Im certainly open to any possibility.

15 minutes ago, soon said:

It may or may not have been one demo. Axl and Slash could have been working on what came to be estranged for sometime either way. So you figure Matt is mistaken?  Im certainly open to any possibility.

I think Matt is mistaken, because he came in somewhere from September to December of 1990, and the album was supposed to be released in 1991, and UYI was already being recorded with Adler, so basic preproduction must have already been done for most of these songs. Duff said it was initially Slash and him who were trying to make a song out of it

Edited by Mendez

5 minutes ago, Mendez said:

I think Matt is mistaken, because he came in somewhere from September to December, and UYI was already being recorded with Adler, so basic preproduction must have already been done for most of these songs. Duff said it was initially Slash and him who were trying to make a song out of it

I didn't recall about Duff saying that.  Is that in one of his books, er?   

Did Alder take a stab at every song on UYI?

Matt does seem to say both that it was one song and that it was two songs segued together.  so that does seem weird.  

26 minutes ago, soon said:

I didn't recall about Duff saying that.  Is that in one of his books, er?   

Did Alder take a stab at every song on UYI?

Matt does seem to say both that it was one song and that it was two songs segued together.  so that does seem weird.  

Duff talks at 5:37

No idea about Adler, though he said this on his Reddit AMA:

Q: Hey Steven! Love ya, man! What's your favorite GnR song to play?

A: Every single one of them. I still play the ones that I recorded the demo tapes I helped write on "Use Your Illusion". At least 12, 13 of those.

Those 13 demos for sure included: YCBM, Back off Bitch, Locomotive, Civil War, Don't Cry, Garden of Eden, Don't Damn Me

They might also include: November Rain (They worked on demos before SCOM was written), Pretty Tied Up (he was in Chicago when it was starting to be written)

As for Matt:

"We had twenty-seven songs to record, and some of them---like "November Rain," "Coma", and "Locomotive"---were epic in length. Matt had to learn all the songs in rehearsals and make charts of them for the recording sessions." - Duff

So November Rain was already complete when Matt came in.

""Estranged" was a song that Axl had been working out on piano for a long time---he'd been playing the same parts over and over in Chicago and afterward; it was clear that it was working itself out in his head. I had started writing guitar parts for it back in Chicago, so it came together in no time once we focused on it. "November Rain" has been ready to go on Appetite for Destrcution, but since we already had "Sweet Child o' Mine", the majority of us agreed that we didn't need another ballad. Besides, the original demo of that song was eighteen minutes long, give or take, and none of us cared to conquer it in the studio at that point." - Slash

What I deduce from this is that November Rain was already basically finished, and that Axl brought in Estranged later on, at the very least focusing on it in Chicago.

Edited by Mendez

4 hours ago, Darkenchantress said:

Same. Why would I do that? The official one is long enough :sleeper:

There are plenty of great songs which are much longer than original NR. Actually there are plenty of songs which wouldn't work as a 5 minute piece. Supper's ready by Genesis is probably the most popular one, Grendel by Marillion another one which comes to mind, also The World by Pendragon and many, many more. :)

26 minutes ago, Mendez said:

Duff talks at 5:37

No idea about Adler, though he said this on his Reddit AMA:

Q: Hey Steven! Love ya, man! What's your favorite GnR song to play?

A: Every single one of them. I still play the ones that I recorded the demo tapes I helped write on "Use Your Illusion". At least 12, 13 of those.

I think these are good pieces of info.  And again, I'm fine if Matts mistaken.  

But Duff doesnt speak to the origin of the song.  He just says it took some work.  Any song could be really edited or be the out-come of what was once a full opera and you could still say the same as duff said.

Duff, almost dead in this clip, makes the false claim that "piano you can go soft to hard with in a second, and er ah, guitars ya know, you gotta be more subtle."   I only quote him to point out that what he's saying is absolutely false.  And Nirvana at the time should have been plenty to remind him. 

Also, At 5 minutes, right before you drop us in, Matt has an interesting comment regarding Estranged and Novemebr Rain : "these two songs really are similar"  Could be nothing.  Could be a diplomatic phrasing. Or he still could be mistaken and speaking from the perspective of his confusion. 

Edited by soon