Was Come Together Axl's final public performance before the wilderness years?

i've always loved this… bruce and axl… this is where axl belonged, playing alongside LEGENDS honoring other legends.  could've, should've, would've.  bruce's legacy and respect for his fans is second to none.  really GREAT performance though, these are two true powerhouses.  rock n roll royalty.  too bad after this axl went the other direction and fell from grace.  ego'll do that.    

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Yes, this was his last public performance until he joined Gilby Clarke in 2000 for a few Rolling Stones covers.

The story behind this is possibly my favorite Axl story.  He just happened to be at the same place Gilby was performing and he got up on the stage and smiled at Gilby or something and just wanted to perform?  I think that was generally what happened

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, soon said:

So far as I know, yes. 

I dont know how I never noticed it was with the Paul Schaffer Orchestra!

Very prophetic lyric: "He backed production"  

Yup, PS is almost always the musical director for the induction shows (or at least used to be), so his orchestra was typically the house band. 

8 minutes ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

The story behind this is possibly my favorite Axl story.  He just happened to be at the same place Gilby was performing and he got up on the stage and smiled at Gilby or something and just wanted to perform?  I think that was generally what happened

Id kill to hear the audio from that show. I wonder if his voice was closer to '99 or '01.

• Like 2

Just now, AxlRoseCDII said:

Id kill to hear the audio from that show. I wonder if his voice was closer to '99 or '01.

would love to hear this as well… anyone have it to share? 

also on the SPRINGSTEEN end… was there any other pictures or stories to emerge from slash and duff attending his show in australia.  it sounded like maybe little steven van zandt had something to do with it???  would LOVE to see bruce play with guns… maybe a jersey show down the road.  

Edited by Sunset Gardner

14 minutes ago, axlslash said:

Yup, PS is almost always the musical director for the induction shows (or at least used to be), so his orchestra was typically the house band. 

Oh, cool.  Never knew that either.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Anyone else heard this version of events behind this performance?

This is from the R&R HoF in whatever year. Someone else was supposed to play this song, but they didn't show up or got too fucked up to play or whatever. Someone from the HoF came to Bruce's table, and asked if he'd play it and fill in. Bruce declined. Axl was sitting at the next table, overheard what was said. He went over to Bruce and said "I'll sing it with ya man. Let's do it." Bruce said fuck it- ok.

I can't remember where I heard that, but my gf is a massive Boss disciple, so I think it came from something she read about it. Pretty wild if true- never rehearsed or anything, just fuckin let er rip. Her and I like to watch this together on occasion. When we visited the HoF, we walked into some room and this video was the first thing we heard playing...

Yea I believe this is the accurate story of how it happened. Axl listened to the song a few times, had someone write the lyrics down for him and he was good to go. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

if only Gilbey would join the band for a few shows nearby us....my nephrologist is related to him. in fact he is going to a GN'R concert but he's richer than God so he can pay for great access :P 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Anyone else heard this version of events behind this performance?

This is from the R&R HoF in whatever year. Someone else was supposed to play this song, but they didn't show up or got too fucked up to play or whatever. Someone from the HoF came to Bruce's table, and asked if he'd play it and fill in. Bruce declined. Axl was sitting at the next table, overheard what was said. He went over to Bruce and said "I'll sing it with ya man. Let's do it." Bruce said fuck it- ok.

I can't remember where I heard that, but my gf is a massive Boss disciple, so I think it came from something she read about it. Pretty wild if true- never rehearsed or anything, just fuckin let er rip. Her and I like to watch this together on occasion. When we visited the HoF, we walked into some room and this video was the first thing we heard playing...

yes i have read that and it is not exactly as you described but it is kinda similar

3 hours ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

I read somewhere that this was his final public performance before disappearing for a while.  I think he does an amazing job with this song

this is the best ever version of Come Together ever performed on planet earth

fucking terrific

this is also the last time axl rose sounded, moved and looked like axl rose

missing since 1994

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I've never heard about this, proof?

I read it in a rock magazine at the time. I used to go to my local bookstore every month and read every rock magazine looking for GNR news. Axl was going to support Phil Lynot. Either the show was cancelled or Axl cancelled. But, it was real. Surely somebody on here knows about it.