Was Come Together Axl's final public performance before the wilderness years?

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I've always thought that too but people seem to praise it a lot.

Yeah - the praise caught me off guard a bit.

I always assumed that his voice was shot in that performance given the way he was singing. Maybe he was still recovering from the UYI tour or just hadn't practiced singing for 6 months after the final UYI show.

Either way, as the Aussies would say - Crikey, it's awful mate! :lol:

I agreee it wasn't axl's best performance but the guy had been off the road for a year, probably hadn't sang at all and just wanted to go out and perform something. I'm not going to knock him for not having his best vocal performance on a night he wasn't planning on singing and doing a song he hadn't sang before. 

Hes a performer at heart so I'm glad he took the chance to sing at this event. I think at the very core of Axl Rose he loves the opportunity to go out in front of an audience and do stuff like this. It's an element of him that went missing Bc of the criticisms he faced but we were lucky to see it revived with the AC/DC shows last year. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RONIN said:

Yeah - the praise caught me off guard a bit.

I always assumed that his voice was shot in that performance given the way he was singing. Maybe he was still recovering from the UYI tour or just hadn't practiced singing for 6 months after the final UYI show.

Either way, as the Aussies would say - Crikey, it's awful mate! :lol:

14 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I've always thought that too but people seem to praise it a lot.

i totally get what you're saying but i still dig it, not because i think axl "sounds" amazing or even bruce for that matter… but i find a sort of bizarre energy between them, like maybe they'd never met before, or like some are saying never even rehearsed the song… it certainly feels like there's something going on between them when they make eye contact and when axl tries to not to smile at one point.  

i love the way bruce is playing his guitar, the up/down swing is badass and axl is no doubt rough, but it's gritty, it's real blue collar shit straight out of small town indiana.  and axl feels engaged, feels like he wanted to be there, i wish this axl never went away.  

i love that slash and duff attended the bruce show in Aus.  i wish axl would have gone.  e street shows are so solid and i think  axl would've walked away inspired.  

Edited by Sunset Gardner
  • Like 3

I've always liked it. I never thought it sounded greatest- didn't care for the arrangement at the top of my list. And when it came to the vocals I was never sure if it was too restrained or too strained.  Could be either since they pretty much hopped on stage straight out of the audience, but I always thought Axl was making it sound tight out of choice rather than rust.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

I've always liked it. I never thought it sounded greatest- didn't care for the arrangement at the top of my list. And when it came to the vocals I was never sure if it was too restrained or too strained.  Could be either since they pretty much hopped on stage straight out of the audience, but I always thought Axl was making it sound tight out of choice rather than rust.

Axl to me can cover any kind of music and does extreamly well when he does a cover. A lot of it is his dedication to the original sound and his great ear for the small nuances in any given song. I'm sure if he was given more time on this cover it would have been even more memorable, but just having the boss and Axl on stage together is cool. 

Also Axl mentioned they wanted to do something for a Prince tribute at Coachella but didn't really have enough time to do it justice. I would have bee interested in hearing where they took that

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

axl is no doubt rough, but it's gritty, it's real blue collar shit straight out of small town indiana.  and axl feels engaged, feels like he wanted to be there, i wish this axl never went away

exactly

it is pretty easy to spot when axl is NOT engaged

thats why i have a hard time watching anything anything fromm the tracy and roberta era

except for a few occasions (the queen covers in freddie tribute, the brian may/aerosmith guest appearances a a couple more) axl clearly shows that he would rather be someplace else -- very far from the stage -- on most of the shows

90% of the time on that tour he seemed to do things on autopilot

this performance of come together is the complete opposite, he seems very engaged and very much into the song and performance

that is priceless

• Like 3

i still wish they didn't declined the invite to woodstock 94 - http://www.snakepit.org/discvid.html

Woodstock 1994 was billed as three more days of peace and music. Promoters brought in big acts and attracted over 300,000 people. Guns N'Roses was invited to appear but declined, saying the show was "too commercial." But SLASH managed to be there!
  • Like 1

I too always thought Axl wasnt great in it.  Nor Bruce.  Nor the band or arrangement.  And whats with them running off stage so fast?

I can get why people love it and I love it for what it is myself, but I also wonder if it is his last appearance in that era because he's a perfectionist who did not achieve perfection in that performance?  I mean going from suggesting an impromptu performance at a huge televised event to refusing to perform and being hesitant to sing or record for 6 years?

1 hour ago, soon said:

I too always thought Axl wasnt great in it.  Nor Bruce.  Nor the band or arrangement.  And whats with them running off stage so fast?

I can get why people love it and I love it for what it is myself, but I also wonder if it is his last appearance in that era because he's a perfectionist who did not achieve perfection in that performance?  I mean going from suggesting an impromptu performance at a huge televised event to refusing to perform and being hesitant to sing or record for 6 years?

I think Axl was a guy who had been dealing with a lot enternally and to be at an  event that had no pressure and he could do what he loved in performing and only have to worry about himself made this performance the most relaxed and peaceful performance of the 90's for him.

I'm sure it sucked when the song finished and he realized it was back to reality and all the problems that come with it.

I think he had just gotten destroyed in court by Stephenie and Erin or had an upcoming date for that, im sure this was the height of dealing with psychologist, and there just wasn't motivation to go out and start work on a new GNR album knowing the amount of work and people he'd be dealing with and the undertaking that that project brings. This is also the year that Beta comes into his life full time I believe, and you know that anyone in a good state of mind doesn't need someone like Beta, but she was kinda there for him at a low point in his life. 

Not to take the performance too deep but I think it was a happy moment for Axl in a time that was otherwise anything but for him. 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think Axl was a guy who had been dealing with a lot enternally and to be at an  event that had no pressure and he could do what he loved in performing and only have to worry about himself made this performance the most relaxed and peaceful performance of the 90's for him.

I'm sure it sucked when the song finished and he realized it was back to reality and all the problems that come with it.

I think he had just gotten destroyed in court by Stephenie and Erin or had an upcoming date for that, im sure this was the height of dealing with psychologist, and there just wasn't motivation to go out and start work on a new GNR album knowing the amount of work and people he'd be dealing with and the undertaking that that project brings. This is also the year that Beta comes into his life full time I believe, and you know that anyone in a good state of mind doesn't need someone like Beta, but she was kinda there for him at a low point in his life. 

Not to take the performance too deep but I think it was a happy moment for Axl in a time that was otherwise anything but for him. 

Amazing post!  Take my breathe away, actually.  Its beautiful.

I can only say that you make really good points.  And i agree with you.

Im so happy that Axl got this moment of joy and relief 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DR DOOM said:

I always thought that Come Together performance was a fucking abomination...and I like Axl and everything.

My thoughts, exactly.

Plus none of the musicians + Springsteen even look like they care.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:55 AM, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

The story behind this is possibly my favorite Axl story.  He just happened to be at the same place Gilby was performing and he got up on the stage and smiled at Gilby or something and just wanted to perform?  I think that was generally what happened

Here is the story on Axl and Gilby from MTV circa 2000.  http://www.mtv.com/news/1429765/axl-rose-takes-stage-for-gilby-clarke-club-jam/

And allegedly this is audio of the night but pretty sure it's from 1993ish-

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Original said:

Here is the story on Axl and Gilby from MTV circa 2000.  http://www.mtv.com/news/1429765/axl-rose-takes-stage-for-gilby-clarke-club-jam/

And allegedly this is audio of the night but pretty sure it's from 1993ish-

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's 93 or 94? I'm also fairly certain I heard the version from 2000 on youtube years ago. IIRC it was what you'd expect.

it's interesting with gilby… what is the true story between him and axl?  i always got the impression axl looked at gilby as a slash and duff guy and didn't want him around… but this clearly would suggest otherwise.  loved gilby in the band.  i think gilby and richard are quality replacements for izzy.   

Edited by Sunset Gardner

two thoughts.

aerosmith gave a dull come together performance on the bootleg cd. worst song on the album.

michael jackson sounded out of place on the song

as for Axl, i can hear mickey being conceived during this performance.

best version is still the original, but i always skip it. maybe its overplayed?

i can relate to why axl felt he wanted to get away from public after this song. there comes a time in everyone's life when they feel it's up to the younger generation. when you feel you can't deliver the same reckless energy of your old days, why bother? there comes a time when we just want to sit in our garden and dig the weeds, leading boring lives. be safe behind your door. i can relate to that more than ever, seeing how the world is just going insane currently.

Edited by action