Chris Cornell Dead at 52

GNR 1991

6 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

I can't believe it. I was really hoping that wasn't the case, and obviously it seems it wasn't a David Carradine situation (not that that would have been any better).

I hope he left some kind of note or something, if not explaining things, then maybe saying goodbye to his family. But it's likely he probably didn't.

I'm devastated.

Or like Michael Hutchence from Inxs...

Yeah, I am devastated too. ?

43 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

oh Lord i remember Michael Hutchence :cry:

for me Kurt Cobain was the worst. i was going on sixteen and driving illegally going to pick up a video when the news came on the radio. i was just gutted. then i thought this has to be a hoax. it was not. that whole weekend it was all Kurt on MTV. it was an event where you knew exactly where you were when you heard about it...

• Like 1

Just stumbled upon this,

"Fell On Black Days was like this ongoing fear I've had for years...it's a feeling that everyone gets. You're happy with your life, everything's going well, things are exciting - when all of a sudden you realise you're unhappy in the extreme, to the point of being really, really scared. There's no particular event you can pin the feeling down to, it's just that you realise one day that everything in your life is FUCKED!"

http://web.stargate.net/soundgarden/articles/mm_3-19-94.shtml

1 hour ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Hutchence intentionally killed himself like Cornell.  All the sex stuff was misinformation from his gf at the time. At least according to anything credible I've ever read. 

Crazy though him and Hutchence both chose to go out the same way in hotel rooms with seemingly the world at their fingertips. Both were naturally two of the most intriguing lead singers/frontmen ever. Hutchence's suicide seemed more like a moment of desperation after partying where this seems very sudden and shocking from the outside looking in.

Never really identified as a huge fan of his music, but being 27 years old now I feel like I'm reaching the point where it seems all these musicians I grew up listening to as a child and young adult are dying. And it sucks. Much sadder about today's news than I thought I would be. Just such a drag. 

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I do not understand how you can do something like this, especially when you have a spouse and kids 

I believe men on the whole have a higher suicide rate than women. I think it's in part to do with the general difference in care taking roles, I imagine a sort of pragmatism taking over eg. my family will inherit and be financially sound without perhaps acknowledging a husband and father is more than just a provider.

Not saying that's what happened here, we can never know but perhaps if someone can rationalise that they will be taking care of their kids and spouse (financially) long after they are gone it makes it easier.

It's very sad and I don't think we can ever fully understand what tips someone over the edge.

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not see any obvious indication in the clips that this chap was going to hang himself in one hour, except he sounds like he has taken a downer or something else during 'Black Hole Sun', a song in which he struggles vocally also. The other two clips I watched consisted of high quality professional performances. If he was a man who had already decided to kill himself during this show, he decided to go out like the consummate professional.

Having seen Soundgarden a couple times, or really anyone else here that has would make the observation that Cornell used to always sing it like that (I'm guessing he probably hated the idea of being the Black Hole Sun guy or something) but he'd still cane the rest of the set as well as he could for a guy of his vintage i.e. sometimes couldn't pull off the absolutely paint peeling notes off anymore (and that's fine given what he is/was capable of) but the rest of the songs sound like the Black Hole Sun syndrome writ large. I'll at least have the solace of knowing that the last time I saw them it was a killer show (if not awfully and ironically ruined by the fact that some of the guys I went with were utterly devastated by the fact that a relative had chosen the same route that Chris had and only found out about it minutes before the show and didn't tell me why they'd gone off until afterwards).

i can't imagine how fucked up everyone in the Soundgarden camp is over this. I mean its been a full day and no one has said anything. Even Dave Grohl cant bring himself to speak on the matter. This is so fucked up and its really been a sad day. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

respect his decision? to leave a wife and kids behind, the kids being fatherless, the mom a widow left raising two kids with no husband?

i don't understand what you are respecting about his suicide...

oh and also leaving behind his parents...something a parent should never have to go through. and his 5 siblings? 

Opinions are like a$$holes... everybody's got one.

Hey, I agree it's not fair and pretty, but you never even met the guy. Hence, the respect for a situation you cannot possibly fully understand.

But whatever, just human words.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I do not understand how you can do something like this, especially when you have a spouse and kids 

It can't be understood.  Perhaps he did not either.  What if a point is reached where conscious decision making departs?

It may be bad word choice or reporting, but the 'found with a band around his neck' seems to contradict the confirmed cause of death.

I love Chris Cornell.

R.I.P

1 hour ago, beebee_head said:

It can't be understood.  Perhaps he did not either.  What if a point is reached where conscious decision making departs?

It may be bad word choice or reporting, but the 'found with a band around his neck' seems to contradict the confirmed cause of death.

I love Chris Cornell.

R.I.P

Just speculation, but maybe whatever he hung himself with or from broke, unfortunately by the time that happened the damage was done.

16 minutes ago, liers said:

Just speculation, but maybe whatever he hung himself with or from broke, unfortunately by the time that happened the damage was done.

I interpreted it as him hanging himself and eventually over the course of the night it couldn't take the weight any longer and snapped and dropped him. 

17 minutes ago, liers said:

Didn't Robin Williams do it a similar way? Hooked a belt to the doorframe and let gravity do its nasty strechy thing. People picture a noose from a hook in the ceiling, but it is not always that way. Makes it even worse thinking about the last moments. No wonder people suppress memories into the deep reccesses of consciousness. His poor family.

3 hours ago, Johnny Drama said:

Having seen Soundgarden a couple times, or really anyone else here that has would make the observation that Cornell used to always sing it like that (I'm guessing he probably hated the idea of being the Black Hole Sun guy or something) but he'd still cane the rest of the set as well as he could for a guy of his vintage i.e. sometimes couldn't pull off the absolutely paint peeling notes off anymore (and that's fine given what he is/was capable of) but the rest of the songs sound like the Black Hole Sun syndrome writ large. I'll at least have the solace of knowing that the last time I saw them it was a killer show (if not awfully and ironically ruined by the fact that some of the guys I went with were utterly devastated by the fact that a relative had chosen the same route that Chris had and only found out about it minutes before the show and didn't tell me why they'd gone off until afterwards).

The last show I saw him do was about a decade ago and he went out with a band kicking ass for 2 and a half hours doing Soundgarden, Audioslave and his solo stuff - before that I'd seen Soundgarden at Lollapalooza and his voice was pretty ragged. I almost didn't go see him because I thought his voice was going to be shot but glad it turned out not to be the case. 

3 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

i can't imagine how fucked up everyone in the Soundgarden camp is over this. I mean its been a full day and no one has said anything. Even Dave Grohl cant bring himself to speak on the matter. This is so fucked up and its really been a sad day. 

I was just thinking about how no one from Soundgarden has said anything yet, and neither has Grohl or Axl (who was a big Cornell fan if I recall correctly). Even the official Soundgarden page hasn't made a statement yet. So sad.

41 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I was just thinking about how no one from Soundgarden has said anything yet, and neither has Grohl or Axl (who was a big Cornell fan if I recall correctly). Even the official Soundgarden page hasn't made a statement yet. So sad.

The guys in soundgarden have got to be in shock. Their singer who they had played with an hour earlier hung himself and no one will ever know why. That's got to have a huge impact on them. Imagine a coworker your friends with acting normal, talking to you, doing their thing, and then an hour after work they kill themselves.

Plus they'll probably get a lot of questions about what's next. They were in the middle of recording a new album. I'm guessing they need to take a few days to take everything in and then sit down together with Cornell's family and figure out how/If they move forward  and how they'll honor their friend.

• Like 1