Chris Cornell Dead at 52

GNR 1991

I'm still in shock.. All these are so, so sad..

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-cornells-wife-issues-statement-w483179

"When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different. When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him. What happened is inexplicable and I am hopeful that further medical reports will provide additional details. I know that he loved our children and he would not hurt them by intentionally taking his own life. "

9 minutes ago, liers said:

A day and a half later. I still can't believe it.

Celebrity deaths usually don't bother me but this is the first celebrity that I was a big fan of who passed away. 

I know exactly what you mean.

With most celebrity deaths, it doesn't feel personal enough to have a profound, lasting impact even there is initial shock and sadness.

This just feels different. I can't even explain it.

• Like 2

Ouch. Lorazepam is nasty stuff. 

My life was saved by medication for mental illness, and it's always frusterating to hear people act like taking meds is worse than living with pure horror and sadness 24/7. It's usually not. 90% of the time medication helps.

That being said, Lorazapam and all benzo's are quite scary. I've seen friends drink two beers and pop one Xannax and it's like they're a completely different person. And of course the next day they never remember a thing. Benzos just knock you the fuck out of your own brain, hence why the benzo Rohypnol (sp?) was and is such a popular date rape drug. They also give a powerful high, and are quite addictive.

It's possible that the benzo's had an effect like that on him, but it's also totally possible his family missed some warning signs, are in shock, and just don't want to believe it.

Truth is we probably will never know, there is no test that can prove whether he would have done this with or without the drugs. I will add however that its quite unlikely that a totally mentally healthy person with no history of suicidal tendencies would suddenly be compelled to kill themselves because of benzos. He has likely been sick for a while.

tl;dr stay away from Xannax, Kpen, Valium, Lorazepam etc

Edited by Dan H.
  • Like 1

As I live with somebody who suffers from depression and constantly question doctors choice of medication, I am really surprised that Avitan would be prescribed to somebody who had past drug dependency. 

Just tragic, his wife would have had alarm bells going off as soon as she realised his speech was slurred. My heart goes out to her and his children.

Chris's wife is saying he had bad anxiety and took meds for it. I also suffer from anxiety and sometimes they can cause suicidal thoughts. I hope he didn't take too many. anxiety makes you feel so helpless and not in control of your own feelings and body. I know how horrible it feels.

So many people are suffering from anxiety these days. It's just a very stressful world and it effects so many of us.

My heart goes out to his wife, children, family and friends and of course the fans. it just plain sucks when you lose someone especially before their time.

I just feel so bad about this news.

• Like 4

It wouldn't surprise me if the medication was the culprit. Brain chemistry is so sensitive that it's extremely difficult to determine the behavior of each individual when on a certain substance. Especially when they knowingly state that there may be side effects such as suicidal thoughts or impaired judgement. I dealt with a similar situation with an ex who took medication for panic attacks. It's hard to imagine what Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and friends like Dave Grohl are dealing with.

I thought about going to see SG at Rock on the Range because of how close I am to it, but I'm not a fan of festivals. I normally don't the mourn the loss of "celebrities" but this has been extremely difficult. I guess it's different when musicians pass because fans have such an emotional connection to the artist. So when they pass, it feels like losing a loved one or someone you knew. I haven't been this upset since Weiland's passing and I cried for days when he died. 

• Like 1

I wasn't actually a really big fan of his work. I would listen to everything he releases once or twice mainly. Listen to some songs, maybe even full album here and there but that was it. I did go to Zagreb to see him on a solo tour recently and I'm really glad I did. 

But for some reason I'm really sad for this, I was much, much bigger fan of Bowie and Lemmy and their deaths never really got to me like this one. I can't really explain it at all. I never cried cause some celebrity died until yesterday. I don't know why. Maybe cause of his persona, really laid back and quiet but emotional on stage. I have no idea

I actually remember when I first time watched him perform. I caught this on satellite tv when I was 13 and was like, this guy sounds and looks like that Black Hole Sun dude and was really impressed by him and decided to search for his albums. 

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

I wasn't actually a really big fan of his work. I would listen to everything he releases once or twice mainly. Listen to some songs, maybe even full album here and there but that was it. I did go to Zagreb to see him on a solo tour recently and I'm really glad I did. 

But for some reason I'm really sad for this, I was much, much bigger fan of Bowie and Lemmy and their deaths never really got to me like this one. I can't really explain it at all. I never cried cause some celebrity died until yesterday. I don't know why. Maybe cause of his persona, really laid back and quiet but emotional on stage. I have no idea

I actually remember when I first time watched him perform. I caught this on satellite tv when I was 13 and was like, this guy sounds and looks like that Black Hole Sun dude and was really impressed by him and decided to search for his albums. 

Bowie and Lemmy lived pretty full lives. Cornell was still young. Weiland was young, but with him you knew it was coming because of his addictions.

Cornell was someone who worked to turn his life around and did. I'm pretty sure he had been sober for over a decade. Plus he was still pretty successful. I think the thing that makes this so sad is that he was still relatively young and there was still the potential for more success.

• Like 3

It's weird. I'm not a fan of Soundgarden or Audioslave or his solo stuff, but for some reason I've been thinking a lot about this and how sad this really is. He was still young and everything seemed ok with him. Like a lot people already said, with Weiland it was pretty much only a matter of time (I was huge fan of his), but with Cornell... it's shocking really. Can't imagine what his family and friends are going through. Losing a loved one is not easy.

I've been thinking about this almost non-stop since I heard about it. I wasn't the biggest fan of Soundgarden or Audioslave or TotD but it's still weird, I was born in 1993, I've literally been listening to this guy for my whole life and last time he came to my city I didn't see him because I figured I'd be able to catch him next time. This fucking sucks.

I'll just leave this here. From a show you all know well:

6 hours ago, superdave said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the medication was the culprit. Brain chemistry is so sensitive that it's extremely difficult to determine the behavior of each individual when on a certain substance. Especially when they knowingly state that there may be side effects such as suicidal thoughts or impaired judgement. I dealt with a similar situation with an ex who took medication for panic attacks. It's hard to imagine what Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and friends like Dave Grohl are dealing with.

I thought about going to see SG at Rock on the Range because of how close I am to it, but I'm not a fan of festivals. I normally don't the mourn the loss of "celebrities" but this has been extremely difficult. I guess it's different when musicians pass because fans have such an emotional connection to the artist. So when they pass, it feels like losing a loved one or someone you knew. I haven't been this upset since Weiland's passing and I cried for days when he died. 

I'm no expert but I can say that drug from personal experience is not good at all.. you can free fall into the darkest of places in a very short time.  This drug is very dangerous and alters you greatly.  You are not you on it. Knowing he was taking it makes his death for me a little more understandable.  The shits main side effect is suicidal thoughts 

Seems like him trying to save his mental health was the death of him.  Fucking sad

• Like 1

I find it strange that someone who probably did drugs wouldn't know that his consciousness is not a set thing. Normally suicide is because a human can't continue in the cycle they are in. But I guess if anxiety is like something you can't get rid of, like mental illness is like cancer of the brain. But when it's not just a realisation you need to make, more like a chemical reaction that causes physical feelings, what can you do? 

I was shocked because I didn't know about his problems, bands like Nirvana, AIC, Weilland seemed to be obviously fucked. But PJ and Soundgarden just seem like dudes. But in a way SG and PJ music is heavier than those other bands, lyrically at least. 

19 minutes ago, wasted said:

I find it strange that someone who probably did drugs wouldn't know that his consciousness is not a set thing. Normally suicide is because a human can't continue in the cycle they are in. But I guess if anxiety is like something you can't get rid of, like mental illness is like cancer of the brain. But when it's not just a realisation you need to make, more like a chemical reaction that causes physical feelings, what can you do? 

I was shocked because I didn't know about his problems, bands like Nirvana, AIC, Weilland seemed to be obviously fucked. But PJ and Soundgarden just seem like dudes. But in a way SG and PJ music is heavier than those other bands, lyrically at least. 

Yeah they seemed a little more, not quite so down, but they've got the deep shit too. I think with Cobain and Scott and Layne, it was just so obvious on a personal level. When all three of them died, I mean of course I was shocked, but not shocked like, there's no way in hell this could happen I never saw this coming they didn't seem to have a problem, kind of way. You just didn't see that on a personal level with SG or PJ.

4 hours ago, J Dog said:

Yeah they seemed a little more, not quite so down, but they've got the deep shit too. I think with Cobain and Scott and Layne, it was just so obvious on a personal level. When all three of them died, I mean of course I was shocked, but not shocked like, there's no way in hell this could happen I never saw this coming they didn't seem to have a problem, kind of way. You just didn't see that on a personal level with SG or PJ.

Pretty much why suicide was the last thing on my mind when I heard.