The True Story Behind Chris Cornell and Guns N' Roses

8 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Fairly justified as well. That fantastic song will always be tarnished by that fucking ridiculous clip.

"The Trilogy" of videos are self indulgent vanity pieces. WTTJ/SCOM/PC were all great rock videos, they really shit the bed with DC/NR & Estranged.

I read an interview once and they asked Chris about opening up for Guns and if he'd ever witnessed any Axl rants or asshole behavior. He was like nah, Axl was always laid back and cool, except that one time before a show and someone was like well damn Axl what else do you want, the Goodyear blimp? And Axl jumped all over that shit like yes! I want the fucking Goodyear blimp! Get somebody on the phone now :lol:

• Like 2

http://www.twentyfourbit.com/2009/08/trent-reznor-calls-out-jimmy-iovine-tells-cornell-its/

Trent, Axl, and Chris were all dealing with the same record company people, plus Trent factors into ChiDem through Axl wanting to work with him and wound up taking a lot of his guys, as well as A Perfect Circle, and Trent & Maynard were supposed to work on a project. 

Surprised Iovine didn't try to get Chris on ChiDem at the time. Would Chris have done it? I think he would have with a chuckle, but look at how many people who joined GNR laughed at the idea at first!! 

I hope one day there's an insider story about Interscope because there's a lot of questions... 

My impression always was (from interviews, etc.) that Chris/Soundgarden appreciated the support and interest from Axl/Guns at an important time in their careers and that they thought Guns was a pretty damn good band. That didn't stop them from thinking all of Guns' excess and rock star drama was f'n ridiculous and self-defeating though. Fairly rational approach from the outside (IMHO)- though all that stuff is what makes Guns- Guns I guess. Lol.

Anyway- Chris was an incredible talent. The music shall live on. RIP.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

"The Trilogy" of videos are self indulgent vanity pieces. WTTJ/SCOM/PC were all great rock videos, they really shit the bed with DC/NR & Estranged.

"NR" is still considered one of the most iconic rock videos of all-time. Most bands would gladly "shit the bed" in that way! 

As far as the seemingly oft-maligned "Estranged" video goes- I think it's mostly a case of just overall "Guns N' Roses-fatigue" (admittedly partly b/c of the heavy "NR" video rotation) in the market place by 1993/94- and being very out of step with what was going on with alt/grunge. Still a beautiful looking video and very interesting window into Axl's psyche at the time though (IMHO).

When you consider the "SIDHY" video was very "tongue in cheek", a cover, etc.- I always considered the "Estranged" video basically Axl's parting statement before the dark years. Used to think of him in the mid/late 90s listening to NIN and swimming with dolphins all-day. Lol.

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

21 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Fairly justified as well. That fantastic song will always be tarnished by that fucking ridiculous clip.

Ridiculous indeed, but I disagree on tarnished. The music video features the best live shots from the band (even if partly reshot in the studio). Makes me wish we had this Munich concert with that level of quality. The lighting is great.