Chinese Democracy sold 360,000+ copies in the Uk

Anyone suprised at this? To put this in context it is roughly the same as each of the two Use Your Illusion albums are certified for (Platinum, though I suspect they must have sold much more and the certification is out of date).

I guess this just confirms that while the album bombed in the states it did pretty well everwhere else.

• Like 2

Yeah the poor US sales don't accurately reflect its impact. It wouldn't have mattered how good or bad the album was, if it was available on multiple platforms rather than just Best Buy the sales would have quadrupled at least. There was so much anticipation. It's a shame the marketing team was so shit behind that release.

2 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Yeah the poor US sales don't accurately reflect its impact. It wouldn't have mattered how good or bad the album was, if it was available on multiple platforms rather than just Best Buy the sales would have quadrupled at least. There was so much anticipation. It's a shame the marketing team was so shit behind that release.

Counterpoint: if Axl hadn't waited so long, the label wouldn't have been so hell-bent on making their investment back by taking Best Buy's guaranteed money

Edited by TheSeeker

It sold handsomely enough. I see no issues with 3 million give or take. It could have sold more if Axl released it even in 2002 in my estimation. Probably 5 to 7 mill easy.

As it currently stands, now more than ever album sales mean shit. People will know about another Guns album if it ever sees the light of day just like they knew about Chinese before it came out (first album in 25 years with Slash and Duff)

I kinda like the fact rock albums don't sell. All that is left is the fat naked art. That was Chinese, the new hope is that Axl will attempt to release the album he wants to attempt to release.

With the clean voice and no Slash, how many copies in 2008 is kinda irrelevant with what we know now. How many copies will another Guns album sell? more than Chinese? in anycase, it won't be UYI levels probably so it don't matter.

Edit: AC/DC will sell a hell of a lot more anyway. Axl is winning in layers.

Edited by Rovim

As far as the current scene, bands still have to commit to a contract album deal to fulfill their obligations and be done. Obviously they're toying with streaming services ideas since the RIAA set the new album formula of 1,500 stream audio and/or videosong streams = 10 track sales = 1 album sale.

Unfortunately, rock music isn't a big stream draw, but GnR is. The most streamed metal band, Metallica has gone platinum in the US with Hardwired (300K 1stw,+100 countries top5) and 20% of it is owe to a concert ticket/album bundle sale promotion with the tour. Streaming? Only, perhaps, 5-10%.

GnR have to adapt, it's simple. They still have something to prove, and have never won a Grammy by the way. It matters.

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

As far as the current scene, bands still have to commit to a contract album deal to fulfill their obligations and be done. Obviously they're toying with streaming services ideas since the RIAA set the new album formula of 1,500 stream audio and/or videosong streams = 10 track sales = 1 album sale.

Unfortunately, rock music isn't a big stream draw, but GnR is. The most streamed metal band, Metallica has gone platinum in the US with Hardwired (300K 1stw,+100 countries top5) and 20% of it is owe to a concert ticket/album bundle sale promotion with the tour. Streaming? Only, perhaps, 5-10%.

GnR have to adapt, it's simple. They still have something to prove, and have never won a Grammy by the way. It matters.

I'm not sure there's anything to adapt to... yet? adapt to what really? real sales mean something. Fake sales mean at best good promotion, in anyway it doesn't compare to money.

The current situation is no big boy sales for rock albums. It matters. It's bigger than Gn'R's draw, a Grammy doesn't mean shit financially so not relevant and they have nothing left to prove literally.

I think the main reason for releasing another album is increasing the catalog's size with something that can stand the test of time.

Edited by Rovim

14 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I think it was part Axl's mania at the time and part him wanting to show everyone how diverse he was. 

That said, I agree it needed some sort of narrative through line to tie it together.

And I liked certain themes in the album like CD I thought was excellent and was more along the lines of what I thought solo Axl would be while Madagascar talking about abandonment created some great metaphors and overall emotion that could have given the album more life 

in my mind I would have liked an album that brought the emotional pain on the first 6-7 songs with some big vocal moments and the more lyrically sound side of the cd while the end of the album I would have liked a theme of rising from the pain and overcoming the obstacles to be something better. Kind of a reverse Roses then Guns 

Edited by IncitingChaos

Some of my favorite lines from CD are from scraped Bc he does talk about overcoming and rising up. 

Sometimes I feel like
There's nothing that's stopping me
All things are possible
I am unstoppable

Sometimes I feel like
It's all opened up for me
Nothing's impossible
I am inconquerable

10 minutes ago, Nosaj Thing said:

CD sold 3-3.5 million worldwide.  A great number considering how terribly awful that album is.

I wouldn't say it's terribly awful, some songs are pretty good, but it isn't really a GNR album without Slash, Duff and Izzy.

Edited by supercool
  • Like 1

Except for a.couple of songs, a great álbum. 

Genius album. 

Platinium and gold on several countrys, 

More than 3.5 million around the world ( on this internet era)

And keeping in mind that they didnt release properly any vídeos or serius promo.

That succesfull stuff right there.  U cant argue that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stoymatic said:

This is a really good album full of good, not great songs. imo if there was one "more mainstream" song that was a top 15 hit, the album would have to be considered a classic

I'm glad that their isn't a single “mainstream“ song on CD. I don't even see songs like Sweet Child O'Mine or November Rain in that category.