• Matt Sorum
  • Gilby Clarke
  • Josh Freese
  • Buckethead
  • Brain
  • Dj Ashba
  • Melissa Reese

#Facts

I'm sure Madonna or Katy Perry or a Taylor Swift etc...all have had touring musicians that were under contract to them for many years too.  Aerosmith had a touring fill in guitarist at one point as well.  None of the above in your list were ever 'in' Guns n Roses other than Izzy and Steven.  Matt & Gilby were basically considered (by most) to be members of the band though.  Everyone knew Teddy, Tracy & Roberta were just along for the tour.  Point being - the Thal guy was a musician under contract by Axl and he did his job.  (not well...but he did it)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Original said:

I'm sure Madonna or Katy Perry or a Taylor Swift etc...all have had touring musicians that were under contract to them for many years too.  Aerosmith had a touring fill in guitarist at one point as well.  None of the above in your list were ever 'in' Guns n Roses other than Izzy and Steven.  Matt & Gilby were basically considered (by most) to be members of the band though.  Everyone knew Teddy, Tracy & Roberta were just along for the tour.  Point being - the Thal guy was a musician under contract by Axl and he did his job.  (not well...but he did it)

Ron Thal wasn't just a touring musician since he had to play on Chinese Democracy, a Guns N' Roses album containing 14 original Guns N' Roses songs. Also Matt Sorum had to play on Guns N' Roses double album Use Your Illusion. Gilby Clarke appeared on exactly ZERO original GN'R track.

• In 8 years in Guns N' Roses, Bumblefoot had to play 327 shows with Guns N' Roses in front of millions of fans around the world.
  • In 7 and 3 years in Guns N' Roses, Matt Sorum and Gilby Clarke had to play 196 and 146 shows with Guns N' Roses in front of millions of fans around the world.

It's significantly less, but hold on, more facts:

• Clarke was not involved in the recording of 'Sympathy for the Devil' (1994)
  • Clarke sued the band over the use of his likeness in Guns N' Roses Pinball (1994)
  • Before the final show of the Use Your Illusion Tour, Rose came up to him and told him "Hey, enjoy your last show".

The point being is, I see more evidence that Gilby Clarke was only a touring musician under contract to Guns N' Roses, quite the same with guitarist Dj Ashba even if Dj Ashba played more Guns N' Roses shows (231 from 2009 to 2014 -against 146).

#Facts

12 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Ron Thal wasn't just a touring musician since he had to play on Chinese Democracy, a Guns N' Roses album containing 14 original Guns N' Roses songs. Also Matt Sorum had to play on Guns N' Roses double album Use Your Illusion. Gilby Clarke appeared on exactly ZERO original GN'R track.

• In 8 years in Guns N' Roses, Bumblefoot had to play 327 shows with Guns N' Roses in front of millions of fans around the world.
  • In 7 and 3 years in Guns N' Roses, Matt Sorum and Gilby Clarke had to play 196 and 146 shows with Guns N' Roses in front of millions of fans around the world.

It's significantly less, but hold on, more facts:

• Clarke was not involved in the recording of 'Sympathy for the Devil' (1994)
  • Clarke sued the band over the use of his likeness in Guns N' Roses Pinball (1994)
  • Before the final show of the Use Your Illusion Tour, Rose came up to him and told him "Hey, enjoy your last show".

The point being is, I see more evidence that Gilby Clarke was only a touring musician under contract to Guns N' Roses, quite the same with guitarist Dj Ashba even if Dj Ashba played more Guns N' Roses shows (231 from 2009 to 2014 -against 146).

#Facts

Sorum, Clarke, Tracy, Roberta and Teddy are all mentioned as aditional musician in the Live Era booklet. Only Dizzy is named band member. Adler is mentioned as band member and he has nothing to do with the UYI Tour. And only one song in the UYI albums

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, supercool said:

Well said.

BBF is irrelevant.

Yep. If people enjoyed Axl's solo band, Ron will not be irrelevant. Some people enjoy his playing and liked his contribution to Axl's solo project.

Problem is when people see Ron as a member of GNR, the same band that released AFD and UYI, which is not the case.

There are two GNRs. One is a band. The other is a solo project lead by Axl, similar to NIN, Filter, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Padme said:

Sorum, Clarke, Tracy, Roberta and Teddy are all mentioned as aditional musician in the Live Era booklet. Only Dizzy is named band member. Adler is mentioned as band member and he has nothing to do with the UYI Tour. And only one song in the UYI albums

I didn't know that, thank you!

More facts, I like that.

4 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

In 8 Years, Ron Thal served longer in Guns N' Roses than:

• Izzy Stradlin
  • Steven Adler
  • Matt Sorum
  • Gilby Clarke
  • Josh Freese
  • Buckethead
  • Brain
  • Dj Ashba
  • Melissa Reese

#Facts

are you seriously claiming bumblefingers is more gnr than izzy (co-writer of all your favorite songs) and steven?  how?  why?  because ron collected a check from his employer for more years than izzy and steven were in a rock n' roll band that they founded and wrote their own parts for - guns n' roses - afd, lies, uyi… what did ron bring to the table? 

josh freese, chickenhead, brain, dj clownba…. they are all employees hired by their boss axl rose to say yes.  employees who never were and never will be gnr, just like CD is not gnr.  the tours they did were just axl karaoke, the lawyers greased axl the name rights and then he traveled the country and world robbing the gullible by selling them tickets to his cover/solo band.  

delusion.  

#facts - axl's employees are not band members, they were only enablers for axl's solo mediocrity.  "guns and roses" ended when slash left the band.  "guns n' roses" did not reunite until april 2016.  

Edited by Sunset Gardner

Harsh comments.

Bumblefoot is a quality musician, not some random guy who happens to be able to cover Slash & Buckethead. I'm not a big fan of his solo work (I don't know all of it though) but he is a great guitarist with a great feel.

I understand his frustration being 8 years without being able to be in a creative process. Yes he does play on CD, but the songs were already written when he came in. I guess he'd have liked to compose a song or two himself. Also he was very brave to go on stage while being handicapped by his car accident (that he was 0% responsible of, if I recall correctly, a woman hit him on the back of his car and he didn't see it coming).

He is a man of honor and has served Guns N' Roses with respect for 8 years. Sure the paycheck wasn't bad, but there's a difference between a guy who gives 0% f**** and just grabs the cash and sues the band whenever he can, and someone who takes the money while stating he'd have liked to propose more than what he was able to. I respect him for being so passionate about music. 

I will remember the hug when he recognized me at the l'Arc gig in 2010. Definitely a man who cares. Big respect to BBF. Wish him the best.

• Like 1

Just now, D.. said:

Harsh comments.

Bumblefoot is a quality musician, not some random guy who happens to be able to cover Slash & Buckethead. I'm not a big fan of his solo work (I don't know all of it though) but he is a great guitarist with a great feel.

I understand his frustration being 8 years without being able to be in a creative process. Yes he does play on CD, but the songs were already written when he came in. I guess he'd have liked to compose a song or two himself. Also he was very brave to go on stage while being handicapped by his car accident (that he was 0% responsible of, if I recall correctly, a woman hit him on the back of his car and he didn't see it coming).

He is a man of honor and has served Guns N' Roses with respect for 8 years. Sure the paycheck wasn't bad, but there's a difference between a guy who gives 0% f**** and just grabs the cash and sues the band whenever he can, and someone who takes the money while stating he'd have liked to propose more than what he was able to. I respect him for being so passionate about music. 

I will remember the hug when he recognized me at the l'Arc gig in 2010. Definitely a man who cares. Big respect to BBF. Wish him the best.

look, it's not personal, i'm sure he's a great guy and obviously he's a talented player by anyones standards.  the debate is really about whether or not he was a member of guns and roses.  he wasn't.  he was an axl employee and i don't see why that's such a big deal.  nobody faults him for taking the job… he was offered a great job by his boss and he took it, he was paid well and traveled the world… in a cover band.   

2 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

It's about Bumblefoot's legitimacy in Guns N' Roses. It's an important issue that needs to be answered with facts.

2 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

Get a life.

i'm with silent jay on this one… there's nothing wrong debating this… it's a bumblefoot thread about his fiery relationship with the band… and some fans are debating our fiery relationship about the fact he was an employee.   read a different thread if you're over it… 

Edited by Sunset Gardner