The future of rock music

liers

18 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

When the machines rise and take over it will return. Robot Rock is the future. ;)

Algorithymns will surely replace musicians once we can't afford to pay. Everything will be free and infinite. 

5 minutes ago, Mendez said:

Tons of bands will come, in different directions than you may prefer, and you can either like it, or hate it.

However, the so called rock connoisseurs (@DieselDaisy and @Len Cnut) will most likely hate them all, because their opinions are not subjective, they are fact.

And if it ain't that old time rock n roll, it ain't good

Well most of the old time rock acts I am criticising as being museum pieces and cash whores.

2 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

When the machines rise and take over it will return. Robot Rock is the future. ;)

Algorithymns will surely replace musicians once we can't afford to pay. Everything will be free and infinite. 

True, even when new bands come along they get judged on the old bands. Everything's a copy of a copy. But they can still be great music. Like Mastodon should be much bigger. Every now and then a band comes with something new, but they don't explode because that part of the audeience don't care, it's all about diversity, which thins things down, the obsessional devotion is lower. When I was a kid all I had was a Guns tape and magazines. It focuses your attention. But if you can listen to a million bands on spotify for free, they tend to blur into just music. Maybe it's better. Bands always complain about overbearing fans and controlling labels. Well now they free. 

So you tend the audience isn't there. It's going to need to be tech culture. Like in a japan they have hologram bands. We've had cartoon bands like Gorillaz. But like that movie Simone, I expect the next phenomenon to be a hologram. 

30 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

It's a dying art. And I'm fine. The word 'rock' has been polluted forever. Only legends and classics survive in the end.

That's why Guns shouldn't do another album. What's the point? They already legends. 

1 minute ago, bucketfoot said:

Great days. :lol: Although it was Motley Crue posters on my bedroom wall.

I remember I used that line on GNR Lies cover on a girl at school. She broke my heart, so I ripped her's out. I wrote on it on a desk in my homeroom, like a playboy. I had to apologize or get expelled. That cemented my loyalty. GNR til I Die. 

1 minute ago, wasted said:

I remember I used that line on GNR Lies cover on a girl at school. She broke my heart, so I ripped her's out. I wrote on it on a desk in my homeroom, like a playboy. I had to apologize or get expelled. That cemented my loyalty. GNR til I Die. 

:lol:

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It was all a con to get money. There is very little substance in rock music.

Spot on.  The same goes for most of cinema to be honest, mainstream cinema at least, I mean in relation to pretensions regarding it being an art, it's no more an art than making mops.

16 hours ago, Mendez said:

Tons of bands will come, in different directions than you may prefer, and you can either like it, or hate it.

However, the so called rock connoisseurs (@DieselDaisy and @Len Cnut) will most likely hate them all, because their opinions are not subjective, they are fact.

And if it ain't that old time rock n roll, it ain't good

Most of the old time rock n roll is shit as well.  I dunno who you're confusing me with but when have i been the greatest fan of rock n roll?!?  I'm the one who thinks your Zeppelins and Floyds and Sabbaths and Queens and all that are a load of bollocks.  

I want rock music that is pure rock.

Not these younger bands who complain about their girlfriends or whatever.

Sing about something that matters and still sounds awesome.

Since many original rock bands are still around (GNR, Iron Maiden, Scorpions and Judas Priest) I'd say we're okay for awhile.

And please no political bands. If you want to change the world, do it helping people not by singing about it. That does nothing but annoy the hell out of me.

The problem with rock music has been for a while now, that rock bands don't take risks anymore. Everyone's trying to sound like Led Zeppelin or The Beatles or what ever. Rock music used to be the genre that broke barriers and that's why it was the most interesting genre. But not anymore. And why is that? Because of rock fans and rock critics. What happened when Metallica tried to do something new? Everyone complained that it sucked, so they became a nostalgia band. What happened when GNR tried to do something new? Everyone complained that it sucked so GNR became a nostalgia band. See the pattern?

Rock fans and rock critics ruined the rock n' roll spirit. Rock music used to be about breaking the rules and breaking the barriers. But these days it's all about nostalgia, because lame ass rock fans hate everything that sounds new and fresh. Because of this reason, plenty of pop bands are more experimental these days than most rock bands.

Honestly I think the only way that rock music can become relevant again is, if rock bands stop listening to rock critics and rock fans. There was a lot of interesting new things happening with rock music in the nineties. Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson and Radiohead for example were mixing rock and electronic music in many interesting ways. That's the direction that rock music should have taken in order to stay relevant.

The problem with Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson was that they were often way too aggressive, full of screaming and grotesque. The problem with Radiohead was that it's a little TOO experimental for the mainstream audience. What the world needed was something that would have been a little more mainstream than those bands, but at the same time experimental enough to be interesting and fresh sounding. Personally I think that the kind of music that Axl was experimenting with would have been just what rock music would have needed.

The problem is that Axl's music should have been released by some other band. Even if Axl would have released all his music back then, it probably wouldn't have been received that well, because nobody wanted that kind of music from GNR. It would have been the right direction for rock music in order to stay relevant, but the music should have been released by some whole new band. 

What band could save rock music? It would need more than just one band to be saved. GNR could help the process, if they released a new album, that sounded old school enough for old GNR fans to dig it, but modern enough to encourage other bands to follow the route. And if we'd get a great new album by Manson and Nine Inch Nails around the same time, that might help too. But most of all the world would need a new band that's influenced by not only industrial rock bands, but by bands like The White Stripes and The Strokes too. It should be mainstream enough, but with elements of industrial rock. That's the way I see it.

But my number one advice for new rock bands is, "Don't be afraid to sound modern and fresh". If people want old sounding music, we can listen to the old rock bands. Do something new. Be a rockstar version of Kanye West or whatever. Anything's better than just doing the same old shit.

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Most of the old time rock n roll is shit as well.  I dunno who you're confusing me with but when have i been the greatest fan of rock n roll?!?  I'm the one who thinks your Zeppelins and Floyds and Sabbaths and Queens and all that are a load of bollocks.  

Holy shit. Who do you like?

What fuckin barriers are there left to break exactly anyway? I mean, it's all been done. We've jumped the fuckin shark. There are bands with names like Goatwhore that are basically mainstream. Lady Gaga wears a meat dress. 

There's all sorts of good new music of every genre out there. It's just that people have access to so much stuff, it's more splintered now. There's just so many different genres now, that rock gets overshadowed.

It's far from dead, but probably won't be the undisputed king again. But neither will any other particular genre.

• Like 2

On 24 May 2017 at 2:01 AM, Len Cnut said:

Spot on.  The same goes for most of cinema to be honest, mainstream cinema at least, I mean in relation to pretensions regarding it being an art, it's no more an art than making mops.

Mops are the biggest con of all time. When I've thrown up all over the kitchen floor the Vileda super mop ain't shit. I need my hands to scoop those chunks out the door. It's a mop conspiracy.